Windows 10: Router Server setting - USB options

Discus and support Router Server setting - USB options in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My router has USB ports and I can set it up as a file sharing server in settings. The decision tree that came up was whether to use the DLNA Media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TV2, Jul 18, 2017.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Router Server setting - USB options

My router has USB ports and I can set it up as a file sharing server in settings.

The decision tree that came up was whether to use the DLNA Media Server option, or the Samba Server option in the USB settings on the Router.
    I chose the Samba Server option because I could define the Workgroup. But is there a benefit of one over the other?

:)

2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows 10 Control Panel

It is part of your router setup . . .

On the back of your router should be an IP address, a User Name and Password

Open your browser and enter the IP Address into the address bar in your Browser

Enter the User Name and Password

Go to the advance tab

Click on USB storage

Click on media server

Deselect the Enable Media Server option

Click apply and that it!

The setting might be in a slightly different place depending on the version of settings you have, so you might have to look around!

DaveM121, Jul 18, 2017
  3. CJLim Win User
    C7 home WiFi Connection

I am not clear on your description of the setup.

By default it IPv4 and DNS settings on your phone are set to automatic. This means the settings are automatically taken from your wifi router if you have the DHCP server enabled. If you have to set them manually then select the access point for your router
    then click Options>Advanced settings>IPv4.

CJLim, Jul 18, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey TV2,
    The Samba Server is what you want to use. I believe the the DLNA Media Server is just a part of the Samba Server and is for streaming movies to DLNA Devices, as it does the transcoding instead of the Device doing it.

Eagle51, Jul 19, 2017
  5. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey TV2,
    Instead of a USB stick, if you have an extra SATA HDD laying around, grab you one of these (or one like it) https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Exter...+hdd+enclosure

I have one (with an ole WD 500 Gig) ... I use it for my desktop and laptop backup images, and general file sharing .... Poor Man's NAS .... lol

Eagle51, Jul 19, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    I use a USB external HDD in the back of my router. No external power supply needed, the router is quite capable of supplying all the power it needs through the USB connection.

7. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Both good ideas.

But I'm not quite normal. *Nerd I use a 3rd generation build (a PC I built 2 PCs ago) set up in my basement as a Local Area Server of sorts, it's got lots of hard drives and disk space.
    And I just connect extra bare hard drives to my extra connectors I have installed in the PCs to save backups and images on, then disconnect them and put them in the closet or off-site.
    Got a desktop external for the laptops images.

The one USB portable external drive I bought gave me nothing but a headache - that 2.5" drive is now one of my bare backup drives. Much faster backups at SATA speed too!

But yeah, I may want to utilize that Router USB for something someday. Maybe stick all the music on it then folks can access it without turning anything on.

Thema:

1. Router Server setting - USB options - Similar Threads - Router Server setting

2. Setting up a usb drive on asus router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up a usb drive on asus router: I have setup a usb drive on an asus router rt-ax86uI can get to the usb drive "Network> RT-AX86U-9E08> Staging" from explorer screen capture attachedAccessing "Staging" Win asks for network credentialsI've entered every possible correct credentialsWin gives error every timeIn...
  3. Setting up a usb drive on asus router

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up a usb drive on asus router: I have setup a usb drive on an asus router rt-ax86uI can get to the usb drive "Network> RT-AX86U-9E08> Staging" from explorer screen capture attachedAccessing "Staging" Win asks for network credentialsI've entered every possible correct credentialsWin gives error every timeIn...
  4. USB drive in router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB drive in router: I notice this topic has come up before but my symptoms are a bit different. I have a USB stick in the port on my router. This is recognised and mapped on a desktop and two laptops. On one laptop, the drive is sometimes unavailable. Maybe for a couple of days. And then...
  5. Access USB Plugged into Router

Access USB Plugged into Router: Hey Guys I am trying to access my router using file explorer [ATTACH] I then used the default gateway address and tried pasting it into file explorer as shown [ATTACH] But then receive the following error [ATTACH]...
  6. the server is not optional

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    the server is not optional: in my dc active directory is not showing users and groups and its showing error like the server is not optional one more thing is when i am going to restore my server its showing system restore could not start like that message is coming...
  7. settings for connecting router

in Windows 10 Customization
    settings for connecting router: each time trying to connect router through cable modem i lose internet, new router but internet does not get through it . also recently upgraded to win 10,is there some setting to change? have tried all trouble shoot, please anyone, have been battleing this for long time,...
  8. No USB in Power Options, Advanced settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No USB in Power Options, Advanced settings: I have an ASUS Zenbook, Windows 10 Home 64bit. I wanted to adjust the USB settings, specifically to have the USB shutoff while in sleep mode. I believe the USB is still being powered as my battery drains when I have a mouse plugged in, even it is off. Originally my problem...
  9. SMB2 error to access my router’s USB file server

SMB2 error to access my router’s USB file server: I am getting the message that I need to use SMB1 to access my router’s USB file server. I am running SMB2. Can I safely downgrade and how do I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/smb2error/6c4e473d-9a6d-4dc3-8db2-ebb6d23538ed"
  10. usb on router

usb on router: hi need help - up to last version of windows 10 (14905) , windows recognized a hard drive (usb) attached to my router with the latest version , windows refuses to recognize the router , even though i am connected t the router. I have a netgear r7000 with a usb hard drive....