Windows 10: Router

Discus and support Router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; my average download speed tested through 8 online speed checkers over the last 6 months is 38 Mb/s. Yesterday it droped to 1.2 Mb/s. I rebooted the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by stormforce, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Router

my average download speed tested through 8 online speed checkers over the last 6 months is 38 Mb/s.
    Yesterday it droped to 1.2 Mb/s. I rebooted the router and it went up to 40Mb/s. The same has happened today. What is the problem and can anyone help please

:)

stormforce, Sep 17, 2017

2. Connecting Nokia 920 to wireless router

I changed my key to be 30 characters and it worked. Of course it was a pain to go into all my other devices and paste in the new key.

I'd really like to know what the real limit is so I can create a key that is as long as possible. I'd also like to know if the change from WP7.5 supporting a 60 character key is a bug.

Wireless Router, Sep 17, 2017
  3. Routers

I don't know why they even specify what operating systems they work with - a router is completely independent of any operating system.

Just pick the one that suits your budget and needs.

Gordon B-P, Sep 17, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Router

Sounds like you have a data cap or your ISP is throttling you back.

Plankton, Sep 17, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Call your ISP to check line.

cereberus, Sep 17, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    I doubt it - it would remain low. This sounds like an intermittent fault on router or somwhere on line.

cereberus, Sep 17, 2017
  7. I have phoned my ISP and confirmed it has nor been throttled bus because i have rebooted the Router and the speed is back to normal the ISP cannot do anything as their tests show that all is OK
    Have to wait until the next fault occurs

I agree it could be an intermittent fault in the router but need ISP to agree
    thanks so far will answer back tomorrow

stormforce, Sep 17, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

Router

How old is the router a router is a like a PC the CPU can max out just like Windows if the PCs have DNS set to the router can do it as it adds lots of extra CPU time set all PCs to open DNS

Samuria, Sep 17, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Next time you get issues, call ISP before rebooting - they will tell you to reboot - explain emphatically, it keeps happening and press them to send you a new router. If they refuse, just simply inform them that you have no option then to change ISP then - they usually give in at that point.

cereberus, Sep 17, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Does the router itself have a speed test function on it's configuration webpage? Doing speed test from the computer will not determine the location of the problem and it could be between the computer and the router. If there is a speed test on the router's configuration webpage, that would isolate the issue to between the router and the ISP. If you have to do the speed test from the computer, make sure it is plugged into a port on the router with a high quality, shortest length possible Ethernet cable.

NavyLCDR, Sep 17, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    Due to fierce BB competition in UK (great for low pricing), most ISP providers supply pretty basic much rock bottom routers of relatively poor quality (claiming their routers are great, of course). Most are locked down to extent you cannot even change dns servers). Very few ISP supplied routers have functions like QOS or speed testing. At best, you might get VPN capabilty. Even ddns choice is often locked to standard (not free) ddns services (what a surprise).

As a result, rather than actually fix a problem or even diagnose it, they just try and fob user off with thngs like 'it must be your pc', and most users are not savvy enough to see through the bs.

In the end, if you press them enough they will usually supply a new router which at least enables you to eliminate router as source of problem.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Router

1. Router - Similar Threads - Router

2. Slow Wi-Fi on PC, Faster on Phone's Hotspot Despite Same Router Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow Wi-Fi on PC, Faster on Phone's Hotspot Despite Same Router Connection: I'm using network adapter. I'm experiencing slow Wi-Fi connection on my PC when connected to my router, but the connection is faster when I use my phone's hotspot, even though both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network from the router. Any insights on why this might...
  3. My internet not working I cannect my ethernet cable through router to desktop but in router...

My internet not working I cannect my ethernet cable through router to desktop but in router...: My internet not working on my desktop I connected my ethernet cable to router it's light blinking but not connected on my desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-internet-not-working-i-cannect-my-ethernet/d50a06b3-1c9f-496a-bdf3-9a1bc3d56ba6
  4. Can not detect any router signal. How to solve this issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not detect any router signal. How to solve this issue?: Hi. I have faced a problem that my laptop can not detect any router signal. I updated my network driver but did not get any solutions. I provide a picture. This picture does not show any preferred band option. How to solve this issue windows 10?...
  5. Can not detect any router signal. How to solve this issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can not detect any router signal. How to solve this issue?: Hi. I have faced a problem that my laptop can not detect any router signal. I updated my network driver but did not get any solutions. I provide a picture. This picture does not show any preferred band option. How to solve this issue windows 10?...
  6. Can not detect any router signal. How to solve this issue?

7. I can’t get my computer to find my router after updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can’t get my computer to find my router after updates: My computer can’t find my router after updates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-get-my-computer-to-find-my-router-after/1ee65e33-1fe7-4310-9b23-ff2ded5b9de4
  8. I can’t get my computer to find my router after updates

I can’t get my computer to find my router after updates: My computer can’t find my router after updates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-get-my-computer-to-find-my-router-after/1ee65e33-1fe7-4310-9b23-ff2ded5b9de4
  9. Unable to find my home router wifi on windows pc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to find my home router wifi on windows pc.: My laptop Lenovo G50-80 detects every wifi, except my home internet. Specs: Windows 10 Home Single Language8GB RAMIntelR CoreTM i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz ProcessorI have checked with my internet provider and there are no blocks/issues on their end. Looking for...
  10. Unable to find my home router wifi on windows pc.

Unable to find my home router wifi on windows pc.: My laptop Lenovo G50-80 detects every wifi, except my home internet. Specs: Windows 10 Home Single Language8GB RAMIntelR CoreTM i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz ProcessorI have checked with my internet provider and there are no blocks/issues on their end. Looking for...