Windows 10: Run a Desktop Context item at boot time

Discus and support Run a Desktop Context item at boot time in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I run Windows 10 Pro. I use an application to save and restore my desktop icon layout. The source is an .msi file and there is also a .dll file. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by donwb, Jul 12, 2016.

1. donwb Win User

Run a Desktop Context item at boot time

I run Windows 10 Pro.
    I use an application to save and restore my desktop icon layout.
    The source is an .msi file and there is also a .dll file.
    The application puts 3 items onto the desktop context menu.

1. Save Desktop
    2. Restore Desktop
    3. Custom Save / Restore

I would like to activate / run the Restore Desktop item at start-up / boot (and ideally on wake-up).
    Is there any way to do this.

:)

donwb, Jul 12, 2016

2. Context menu items not working in Start and Desktop

Good morning,

recently I found out that my Start menu & context menu items on desktop are not working correctly. For example:

When I right-click on Start menu, context menu appears (Programs and Features, Power Options, Event Viewer,...), but only 2 items are working (Desktop & Shut down or sign out). When I right-click on any icon on desktop and choose "Run as Administrator",
    nothing happens.

I wanted to do integrity check, but when I run sfc /scannow, I get "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" error. Any help, please? Run a Desktop Context item at boot time :(

OndřejBakan, Jul 12, 2016
  3. JLinLV Win User
    How Do I Restore Action Center and Start Button Function When Desktop Icon Is Right-Clicked?

Occasionally I want to select a context menu item for a desktop icon. As soon as I right-click the icon, the entire desktop and system tray disappear and subsequently reload. I can then right-click the icon and access the context menu. However, I also
    find that the Action Center icon on the extreme right of the system tray as well as the Start menu (left-click) cannot be opened. I can only access the right-click Start items. So far, a computer re-boot restores full functionality of both icons. This
    issue affects all of my Dell 745/755 (Windows 10, 64-bit, IE 11) computers. Is there some way of accomplishing this without the re-boot?

JLinLV, Jul 12, 2016
  4. Wullail Win User

You could always add the program that restores the desktop to the task scheduler with the option to start it on login.

Wullail, Jul 12, 2016
  5. donwb Win User
    I tried adding to Task Manager, but the problem is the program doesn't have an executable (.exe) file once installed.
    The only way it can be run is via the Desktop Context Menu.
    It may have "executable" system files located elsewhere but I can't find them.

donwb, Jul 12, 2016
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Try with code like this (with the .dll part):

Code: RUNDLL32.EXE <dllname>,<entrypoint> <optional arguments>[/quote]

AndreTen, Jul 12, 2016
  7. donwb Win User
    Hi Andre Ten
    Thanks for your code suggestion.
    However, unfortunately I am not familiar with the coding process or syntax yoursuggestion would require.
    I wouldn't know where to start so would it be possible for you to suggest somecode in the right form and syntax which I could try.
    I know how to start a new action in Task Manager (as Wullail suggested) -would I put this code in the "Actions" tab?
    Would appreciate any help
    Hvala

donwb, Jul 13, 2016
  8. AndreTen Win User

It's hard to tell anything more without knowing which extension you run. And I'm not really that good at this stuff.

Instead you can install another program for managing desktop icons. DesktopOK is recommended by Majorgeeks and Softpedia.

AndreTen, Jul 14, 2016
  9. donwb Win User
    Hi Andre Ten

I have tried unsuccessfully in the past to find executable Desktop Restore software.
    So I was very please to have your suggestion of DeskTopOK.
    I've installed it and it works fine, particularly restoring the icon layout from boot which is the main aspect I was trying to achieve.
    Many thanks

donwb, Jul 14, 2016
  10. AndreTen Win User
    Great! If everything works out for you, then you can mark this thread as solved.

Good luck!

AndreTen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Run a Desktop Context item at boot time - Similar Threads - Run Desktop Context

2. Personalize context menu item not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Personalize context menu item not working: Hello. This weird thing has been happening where if I right-click on the desktop and select "Personalize", I get this error:It appears some program has overwritten the action for the context item, and I can't figure out how to change it back. Not even scouring the Internet...
  3. Missing items in context menu

Missing items in context menu: I've noticed that when ever I right click on my Desktop: no longer have nvidia control panel as an option Files: no winrar options like add to archive Certain games: no locale emulator -> run in Japanese There's most likely other stuff missing from context menu too I just...
  4. Adding items to the New context menu.

Adding items to the New context menu.: I have been trying to get a .php file in the new context menu with no luck. Even without the template file, it still does not work. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this? I have followed several procedures and none of them work. Windows 10 Pro RTM x64 V.2004 165692
  5. Word Context Menu Item Missing

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word Context Menu Item Missing: Hello I am having a problem related to the above topic. My menu entry for the Word Document is missing from the context menu. The registry key is there, but the menu entry is not. I am using the Office 365 x64 version. [img] I already wrote here but did not arrive at a...
  6. Add Run item to the Sandbox Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Add Run item to the Sandbox Context Menu in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Windows offers the Sandbox feature, which is perfect for testing out applications you don’t trust. However, testing them with Sandbox is not straight forward. You […] This article Add Run item to the Sandbox Context Menu in Windows 10 first appeared on...
  7. Unwanted Context menu item

in Windows 10 Support
    Unwanted Context menu item: Hello to everybody! I would like some help with a Context menu item that I can't get rid of. Since I tried an application (Master PDF Editor 5), the item ''Open with Master PDF Editor 5'' has been added to the Context menu. When I right click on a pdf file, I see this item...
  8. Modify Title of Context Menu Item

in Windows 10 Support
    Modify Title of Context Menu Item: I have customized my context menus a bit, so I am familiar with some aspects (registry locations, apps to do that), but I have one hope to modify the title of existing context menu items. I would like to simply shorten some titles to make the right-click context menu...
  9. Arranging Context Menu Items.

Arranging Context Menu Items.: I spent yesterday fiddling with my context menu (Right-Click Menu). I downloaded and installed nearly a dozen different apps/programs. I settled on a couple and went to work adding commands. Here's the problem: Once the items show up in the Context/Right Click menu, there's...
  10. remove the "Mount" context item

remove the "Mount" context item: anyone know how to remove the "Mount" context item? 30192