Windows 10: Run as different user in Windows 10

Discus and support Run as different user in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Run as different user in Windows 10 How to 'Run as different user' in Windows 10 [img] Information Run as different user allows a user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by D4ni3l, Jan 13, 2017.

1. D4ni3l Win User

Run as different user in Windows 10

How to: Run as different user in Windows 10

How to 'Run as different user' in Windows 10

Run as different user in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Run as different user allows a user to run .bat, .cmd, .exe, .msc, and .msi files with different permissions than the user's current logon provides.

Run as different user will only affect the current instance of the running .bat, .cmd, .exe, .msc, or .msi file. You can open multiple instances of the file with each instance running as a different user.

This tutorial will show you how to use Run as different user to run .bat, .cmd, .exe, .msc, and .msi files with different permissions than your account in Windows 10.

Note If the user you use with "Run as different user" doesn't have the appropriate permissions to access the file, then you will get an access is denied type error message like below.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To "Run as different user" in Context Menu
    • Option Two: To "Run as different user" in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To "Run as different user" in Context Menu
    1. Press and hold the Shift key, right click or press and hold on a .bat, .cmd, .exe, .msc, or .msi file that you want to run as a different user, click/tap on Run as different user, and release the Shift key. (see screenshot below)

2. Enter the credentials of the user you want to run as, and click/tap on OK.

Note If this is for a domain user, then you would enter their user name using one of the parameters below.
    • L: [email protected]
    • DomainName\UserName

OPTION TWO [/i] To "Run as different user" in Command Prompt

Note For more on the usage of the runas command, see: Runas - TechNet Library

1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command you want to use below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below step 3)
    *Arrow runas /user:"<username>" "Full path of file"

(To save credentials and use saved credentials of user)
    *Arrow runas /user:"<username>" /savecred "Full path of file"

Note Substitute <username> in the commands above with the actual user name of the account you want to run the file as. If this is for a domain user, then you would enter their user name using one of these parameters: L: [email protected] or DomainName\UserName

Substitute Full path of file in the commands above with the actual full path of the .bat, .cmd, .exe, .msc, or .msi file you want to run as the user.

3. Enter the password of the user, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)

Note You will not see the text of the password as you enter it.

If you had previously used the command from step 2 with the /savecred switch for the same user, then you will not be prompted to enter the user's password since it was saved in Credential Manager last time.

4. If you used the command from step 2 with the /savecred switch, then the password you entered in step 3 (if prompted) for the user will be saved in Credential Manager. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

D4ni3l, Jan 13, 2017
  2. Bikky73 Win User

Windows 10 Run as different user

No unfortunately, tried that.

I'm baffled, as it did work on the previous install.

Bikky73, Jan 13, 2017
  3. Bikky73 Win User
    Windows 10 Run as different user

I tried running the shortcut path in elevated cmd prompt, this is how i found the message about needing elevation. But i didn't try running and prompt at alternate user, will try tonight.

The program in question is called voice attack.

To execute key presses in an app, it's recommended to run as admin. And works fine as local logged in account. Have compatibility set to run as admin for all users

And as with you find it odd the run as works from GUI but not shortcut, particularly when 2 other programs are launching exactly the same, and work.

Bikky73, Jan 13, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm glad it could help Daniel. *Smile

Brink, Jan 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Run as different user in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Run different user

2. "Run As Different User" no longer works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Run As Different User" no longer works: I work in the IT department for a community college. For a while, especially with the Covid-19 pandemic, we used a workaround for doing one-time installs remotely, especially if it was a program that wouldn't work with our managed deployment for whatever reason. We would...
  3. Run as different user asks for email

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Run as different user asks for email: Previously Run as different user asked for account name as it can be seen on the screenshot below:Now, I have only option for entering email address instead of account name:Use different account doesn't do anything.Is there any option for entering account name instead of...
  4. Run as different user asks for email

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Run as different user asks for email: Previously Run as different user asked for account name as it can be seen on the screenshot below:Now, I have only option for entering email address instead of account name:Use different account doesn't do anything.Is there any option for entering account name instead of...
  5. make a shortcut to Run as a different user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    make a shortcut to Run as a different user: The company I work for has a group policy setting that makes it so that "run as administrator" doesn't work when I'm logged in as a normal user. I don't get prompted to enter a username and password for my "T2" admin account.However, I can shift-right-click on something and...
  6. Run as different user missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Run as different user missing: Hello there, I have recently discovered that the "Run as different user" option is missing for file explorer. I just did a bunch of updates. When I hold the Shift key and right click something like CMD or RDP, it shows this option in addition to run as admin. I have found...
  7. How to 'Run as different user' in Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to 'Run as different user' in Windows 10: Win version #1909 build 18363.720) I have reviewed the thread from 2016 found at Run as different user in Windows 10 and have followed the instructions to the letter. It is not working and, as of right now, when I go to click the "RUNAS" shortcut nothing happens. I provide...
  8. Shift+Right Click > Run As Different User in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shift+Right Click > Run As Different User in Windows 10: I am wondering why Windows 10 machines take so long to run as different user. All the Windows 7 machines in our environment are able to run programs and installation files as different user in a matter of seconds, but EVERY single Windows 10 machine takes a full 1-2 minutes....
  9. Running as a different user / Administrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Running as a different user / Administrator: Hi, I work in a large enterprise and found that many users on the service desk / 2nd line support are having issues when running applications such as CMD, Active Directory, SCCM etc as a different user (signing in with their Admin Account) When they sign in as a...
  10. Add or Remove Run as different user on Start in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Run as different user on Start in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Run as different user on Start in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Run as different user' Context Menu on Start in Windows 10 The Run as different user context menu allows a user to run .bat, .cmd, .exe, .msc, and .msi files with different...