Windows 10: Run computer on external HDD to RAID two internal HDD

Discus and support Run computer on external HDD to RAID two internal HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey guys, I'm new to ten forums but I've been on seven forums for a while but upgraded. Here is my issue I want to mirror one of my internal HDDs to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by timothyski, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Run computer on external HDD to RAID two internal HDD

Hey guys, I'm new to ten forums but I've been on seven forums for a while but upgraded.
    Here is my issue
    I want to mirror one of my internal HDDs to my external HDD. Then I want to run my computer off of the external HDD so I can RAID my only two internal HDDs. Then transfer everything from the external HDD back onto the two RAIDed internal HDDs.
    I've already looked at the storage spaces in the control panel and I don't see any way to successfully mirror the two drives without erasing all the data on the internal drive.
    I'm not concerned about space; I have two 1TB internals and one 1TB external.
    Any help will be great, Thanks.

[EDIT]
    I came up with an idea to do this. Create a system image through Backup and Restore onto the external, then restart and enter BIOS and change the boot settings so that the external HDD with the system image is used as the primary boot option. If that works it should allow me to run the OS off the external HDD. Next go into storage spaces in the control panel and RAID the two internals. Once that is done I should be able to go in reverse and create a system image from the external onto the two RAIDed internals, then get back into BIOS and swap the primary boot option back to the internal drives.
    I'll post later on to let you guys know how it worked out.

:)

timothyski, Jul 29, 2016

2. Adding an internal hdd after Raid 0 but system keeps adding it to Raid configuration

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 Desktop with Windows 10 installed on in Raid 0 on two identical Seagate Barracuda Sata Hdds. I'm trying to add a Samsung 2TB internal hard drive. After activating the appropriate Sata location in the bios (Sata2. The two Raid
    hdds are on Sata1 & 4 with my optical drive on sata0), the computer tries to boot with the Samsung drive in Raid and freezes on the boot screen. How do I make my computer recognize this drive strictly as an additional sata hdd without it attaching it to the
    raid array?

Thanks in advance,

Miles

MilesDavisThaBoss, Jul 29, 2016
  3. M Gowen Win User
    Hard Disk Drive (HDD) seen as Solid State Drive in Optimize Drives

My issue is the same. Two internal HDDs set in Raid 0. Not my boot drive and Win 8 happily saw this as a HDD. However having upgraded to Win10, now see it as SSD, so cannot defrag it. Perhaps the speed of my Raid is fooling it. Have checked Intel RST driver
    installed but no change. Disk Management shows no issues.

M Gowen, Jul 29, 2016
  4. Run computer on external HDD to RAID two internal HDD

My plan from above didn't work. After the entire day of playing around with it I found a piece of software that my motherboard came with that was built just for RAIDing HDDs, it's Intel Rapid Storage Technology. It took a few hours to run but so far it seems to have worked successfully.

timothyski, Jul 29, 2016
  5. Barman58 Win User
    Just for information when using external disks - Windows has an explicit block on running from an external USB drive (running Not Installing), there are methods purported to get around this restriction, but the best way is to use eSATA

Barman58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Run computer on external HDD to RAID two internal HDD

1. Run computer on external HDD to RAID two internal HDD - Similar Threads - Run computer external

2. How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?: Hello guys!I have to replace my HDD as is faulty. How do I do this?How do I install Windows to the new HDD using my same laptop? Before I open it and physically replace it??Full picture:I've got a laptop with a faulty HDD that is going out.I'm buying a new HDDWhen I get the...
  3. Problems with internal HDD move out to become External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems with internal HDD move out to become External HDD: Goodmorning, I had 3 drives on my pc (1 ssd-m2, 1 hdd, 1ssd) and because i need to switch data from one pc to another i bought a docking station. Right now i put my internal HDD and SSD (2/3) in it and if i tried to boot windows without the docking station on, i receive this...
  4. Problems with internal HDD move out to become External HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with internal HDD move out to become External HDD: Goodmorning, I had 3 drives on my pc (1 ssd-m2, 1 hdd, 1ssd) and because i need to switch data from one pc to another i bought a docking station. Right now i put my internal HDD and SSD (2/3) in it and if i tried to boot windows without the docking station on, i receive this...
  5. Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD: Hello Everyone, I cannot copy files to any external HDD. I have also added a spare internal HDD to my HP pavilion 15 gaming laptop for extra storage and cannot copy files to this either. I have tried two external HDDs and they are two different brands so I am assuming this...
  6. Question on an internal HDD as an external enclosed HDD to her PC

Question on an internal HDD as an external enclosed HDD to her PC: My daughter wants to use a new unused internal 1TB HDD as an external 1TB for storage purposes. She purchased the cable and portable enclosure to connect to her PC. The instructions are confusing. Apparently it needs to be initialized and formatted. Can some knowledgeable...
  7. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally: New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR...
  8. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

in Windows 10 Support
    New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally: New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR...
  9. Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external HDD of 465 GB and I have 360 GB of space. Please tell me how I can quickly copy files to my internal HDD, how to download speed (move), or if you know any program for this or changes to Quick Move Registry. I mention that I tried...
  10. Internal HDD

Internal HDD: Hi All.I have a Zoostorm desktop had it at the end of last year. It has a SSD & a Second hdd ''spinner''.All is working well the only issue is when I want to open a document there is a slight delay in the opening of it as all documents pictures etc are all stored on the...