Windows 10: Run Robocopy to backup file on shutdown, does not seem to work.

Discus and support Run Robocopy to backup file on shutdown, does not seem to work. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I want to run Robocopy to copy my Money 2005 file every shutdown, I know Money has a backup facility but when my wife runs Money on her laptop (Using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Trapper, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Trapper Win User

Run Robocopy to backup file on shutdown, does not seem to work.

I want to run Robocopy to copy my Money 2005 file every shutdown, I know Money has a backup facility but when my wife runs Money on her laptop (Using Homegroup) there is always a backup conflict with my PC and if I open Money and try to backup I get the same problem in reverse. To get round this annoying problem I have used Robocopy to copy the master .mny file to a separate drive. Money is installed on my PC and my wife accesses this from her laptop.

I have tried to use gpedit to run a shutdown script from the Robocopy .bat file in my Users/Documents/ folder. And saved this with a .bat extension. If I open the documents folder I can see the file but if I ‘view’ file from the group policy option it only shows as LOG file.

I tried to run this at shutdown but this did not work as the screen just showed ‘Shutting Down’ for so long I killed then restarted the PC. I opened Task Scheduler in the hope that that would work but did not see an option to run at shutdown.

The instruction is as follows:

[ robocopy "C:\Users\Alan\MS Money 2005 files" "K:\Microsoft Money 2005 saved files" /e /np /tee /mt:4 /log+:my_backup_log.txt

Pause ]

Any suggestions as to why it does not seem to run?

:)

Trapper, Oct 20, 2015
  2. KingNeil2 Win User

Robocopy backup won't work

I tried to use the built-in Windows program called Robocopy to back up my files using the following command on the command line:

robocopy Documents J:\robocopy /e

This command works fine on my laptop

But it would not work on my desktop computer for some reason

It just shows the very command that I typed over and over again repeating the command over and over on a new line each time, and it doesn't copy the files. There is no explanation for why.

On the other hand, using Windows Backup / File History works just fine, but I don't want to use Windows Backup because I don't like the format that the files are saved in.

Why isn't Robocopy working? How do I solve this?

KingNeil2, Oct 20, 2015
  3. SyncToy backup failures on Windows 10 computer

Based on my experience, SyncToy is very unreliable. It never worked ever since I upgraded to Windows 10. It either copied the same file over (even if timestamps match), or incorrectly delete the
    items in destination folder
    even though I've set it to "Echo", and the source files and folders are intact. This is dangerous.

Since then I switched to the command-line tool Robocopy which supports the /MIR (mirror) argument to create a mirror copy
    of folder and subfolders as in the source location.

RoboCopy Command-line examples

robocopy "d:\backup" "F:\WD-Elements\backup" /MIR

To exclude a file type (example *.bmp) from being Synced:

robocopy "c:\users\ramesh\Desktop" "F:\WD-Elements\Desktop" /MIR /XF file *.bmp

Get used to RoboCopy, and you'll certainly love it. It's a fantastic tool. You can save the commands to a .CMD or .BAT file and set it to run from Startup folder or Schedule it, or start manually.

Robocopy - Help

Robocopy

Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 20, 2015
Thema:

Run Robocopy to backup file on shutdown, does not seem to work.

1. Run Robocopy to backup file on shutdown, does not seem to work. - Similar Threads - Run Robocopy backup

2. Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible: I've been using Robocopy for years to backup folders. All of a sudden, my backup folders and files are no longer visible or accessible. I've tried removing system and hidden file attributes which I never had to do before but that didn't help. I've also tried all the...
  3. Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible: I've been using Robocopy for years to backup folders. All of a sudden, my backup folders and files are no longer visible or accessible. I've tried removing system and hidden file attributes which I never had to do before but that didn't help. I've also tried all the...
  4. Backup and compare with robocopy not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and compare with robocopy not working: I've backed up the Windows folder from a Windows 10 boot drive with robocopy F:\Windows E:\roboRubi\Windowsz /mir Both source and target drives are attached to internal SATA ports. None of the two drives (source and target) is the boot drive I'm booted into. I'm using an...
  5. Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile: I am unable to either backup this file using File History, or copy it using a Robocopy script. Robocopy simply "skips" it, according to the result of the script from the cmd command. I suspect is has to do with all the permissions requirements, but have made sure I log in...
  6. file history does not seem to be working correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history does not seem to be working correctly: This past June I got an update that killed my file history backups to my NAS I have spent many hours since trying to get it functioning correctly again. Prior, I was backing up three drives. On my NAS' folder, I had three drive letters plus $of. It took forever for the...
  7. Backup with robocopy file count and size are different

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup with robocopy file count and size are different: I always try to keep up 3 copies and found the tool robocopy /mir as very useful. After some years I run into a big issue. Why there is such a big discrepancy in file size and count eating up the space on my external drive? See attached screenshot: [ATTACH] If I compare...
  8. Robocopy backup to NAS does not work : "Access is denied"

Robocopy backup to NAS does not work : "Access is denied": I'm trying to backup a directory on my laptop to my NAS with a script : robocopy D:\Videos "Z:\Shared Videos" /MIR /XJ When I run the script, I get the error message "Access is denied." However, in the File Explorer I can drag-and-drop files to the NAS. Also with iPhone...
  9. robocopy backup of important files

robocopy backup of important files: hi, I have a standard Windows 10 build and I'm using y to backup my data to an external drive. The goal is just to capture all my data so if the PC fails/gets stolen etc. I can restore my data on to another PC. I'm doing a backup of c:\users\ as this seems to capture...
  10. Robocopy backup won't work

Robocopy backup won't work: I tried to use the built-in Windows program called Robocopy to back up my files using the following command on the command line: robocopy Documents J:\robocopy /e This command works fine on my laptop But it would not work on my desktop computer for some reason It...