Windows 10: Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter in Windows

Discus and support Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter in Windows How to Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter in Windows [img] Information By default,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter in Windows

How to: Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter in Windows

How to Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter in Windows

Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter in Windows [​IMG]
    Information By default, Windows will automatically run the System Maintenance troubleshooter on a scheduled basis in the background to check for routine maintenance issues, proactively fix detected problems if able, and notifes you if user input is required.

Potential issues checked by System Maintenance:
    • Broken shortcuts - Broken shortcuts are invalid references to programs and other resources. For example, a desktop shortcut for a USB device may be regarded as broken if the USB device is not connected when the System Maintenance troubleshooter performs its maintenance. When there are more than 4 broken shortcuts on the desktop, then all broken shortcuts on the desktop are removed.
    • Troubleshooting history is taking up disk space - Frees up disk space by removing troubleshooting history logs older than 1 month.
    • System time is incorrectly set - Sets the correct system time and synchronize system clock with the time server. When the system time is set incorrectly, features that rely on time measurement such as Product Activation, malware scanners, and browser certificates might not work correctly.
    • Unused desktop icons - Icons and shortcuts on the desktop that have been unused in 3 months are removed.
    • Disk volume errors - Frees up disk space by repairing hard disk volume errors such as bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files and directory errors. These problems can cause the file system to report incorrect volume details and occupy excessive disk space.
    • Error reports are taking up disk space - Frees up disk space by removing error reports and logs older than 1 month.
    This tutorial will show you how to manually run the System Maintenance troubleshooter on demand to perform maintenance tasks in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Troubleshooting icon.

Note If you like, you can press the Win+R keys to open Run, type msdt.exe -id MaintenanceDiagnostic into Run, and click/tap on OK to go directly to step 4 below instead.

2. Click/tap on the View all link at the top left corner in Troubleshooting. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the System Maintenance troubleshooter to run it. (see screenshot below)

4. Do step 5 (standard) or step 6 (Run as administrator) below for how you would like to run the troubleshooter.

5. To Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter as Standard User
    A) Click/tap on the Advanced link. (see screenshot below)

B) Uncheck the Apply repairs automatically box, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

C) When the troubleshooter has finished, follow the instructions for any found issues to perform the actions you want.

D) When finished, click/tap on View detailed information, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter as Administrator

Note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this step.

A) Click/tap on the Advanced link. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the Run as administrator link. (see screenshot below)

C) Click/tap on the Advanced link again. (see screenshot below)

D) Uncheck the Apply repairs automatically box, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

E) When the troubleshooter has finished, follow the instructions for any found issues to perform the actions you want.

F) When finished, click/tap on View detailed information, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. You can now view the report details of the troubleshooter. You can close the troubleshooter when finished. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 28, 2018

2. windows 10 running slow

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community.

I would suggest you to run System maintenance troubleshooter.

Try the followings steps:

• Click "Search" and type "Troubleshooting" without quotes and hit enter.

• Select "System maintenance"

• Click next to run the troubleshooter.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Waseemulla S, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows 10 System Memory leak

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to run system maintenance troubleshooter and check if it helps:

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows Key +R, type Control Panel.
    • Type troubleshooting in the search bar, click on
      troubleshooting.
    • Then click on system and security.
    • Select system maintenance
    • Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter

Let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Mohammed Yaseer, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter in Windows

System Maintenance Troubleshooter

How to open system maintenance troubleshooter in windows 10?

SantanuMukherjee, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Arun B J Win User
    Security and Maintenance error. windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if the issue persists.

Method 1: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with system. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your System
    Maintenance.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter.

Method 2: Place your computer in clean boot state and check if it helps.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Arun B J Win User
    My laptop blocks ( running slow) after yesterday Windows update ... Please help

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with system. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your System
    Maintenance.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter.

And also refer the link below to improve the performance of the PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter in Windows

1. Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter in Windows - Similar Threads - Run System Maintenance

2. System Maintenance problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Maintenance problems: Maintenance will not stop running in windows 11. I start the task and it will run all day until i stop it manually. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-maintenance-problems/412cdd84-a0f9-4c3d-89b8-aa2d3e9c9642
  3. System Maintenance problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Maintenance problems: Maintenance will not stop running in windows 11. I start the task and it will run all day until i stop it manually. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-maintenance-problems/412cdd84-a0f9-4c3d-89b8-aa2d3e9c9642
  4. System Maintenance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Maintenance: Is it OK to uninstall older versions of Visual C++ in the control panel? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-maintenance/d6ecd647-87f5-47ac-b9e6-966c0c3e4581
  5. System Protection Troubleshooter cannot run

System Protection Troubleshooter cannot run: Can someone advice me how to stop this error? I ran sfc /scannow and it is fine. I ran DISM and it is also fine. So...? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-protection-troubleshooter-cannot-run/db884a7f-7807-4eb0-86ed-9966892c39b7
  6. System and file maintenence

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System and file maintenence: I am usin Version 19555 I don't see much anymore about file and system maitenence so my question is basically is defrag and etc gone or have I missed something Thanks 150024
  7. Windows is unable to run automatic maintenance, The maintenance schedule is unavailable‘

Windows is unable to run automatic maintenance, The maintenance schedule is unavailable‘: I can't start Maintenance in Windows 10 Home it shows last ran 10/26/19 any time I try to run I get a popup "Windows is unable to run automatic maintenance, The maintenance schedule is unavailable‘" I have tried to run SFC/ scannow no problems found, I have run DISM Tool, all...
  8. Operating system maintenance, laptop

Operating system maintenance, laptop: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, please let me know how to make a maintenance of the laptop operating system. I mention that I installed Windows 10 Home licensed laptop on my laptop. Wait for response! A day as quiet as possible! God bless!...
  9. Windows is unable to run Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 News
    Windows is unable to run Automatic Maintenance: [ATTACH] Windows comes with an inbuilt Automatic Maintenance feature which takes care of important tasks like security updating and scanning, Windows software updates, Disk Defragmentation, Disk Volume Errors, System Diagnostics, etc. If you receive an error which says...
  10. Tiworker.exe, "preparing windows...", system maintenance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Tiworker.exe, "preparing windows...", system maintenance: Hi all, my Win 10 Pro AU is very new and clean, and installed with the latest update (two days ago). Today, I leave alone my pc for a long time. When I back I found "WINDOWS MODULES INSTALLER" to 20% of CPU and the system fan very loud. I found that is...