Windows 10: Running a network without a router

Discus and support Running a network without a router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Our holiday cottage will soon have a Dell Small Form Factor Windows 10 Pro PC. It would be handy if visitors could access the PC via WiFi, but would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Swifty, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Swifty Win User

Running a network without a router

Our holiday cottage will soon have a Dell Small Form Factor Windows 10 Pro PC. It would be handy if visitors could access the PC via WiFi, but would that necessarily involve having a router? I've worked with routers ever since the inception of Ethernet, but I've never come across a router-less setup.
    It's easy enough to plug in a USB Ethernet adapter to the Dell, but what's doing to be doing the connection authentication?
    I have a couple of old Zyxel routers left behind when we migrated to FTTC, and I can use one of those to get the WiFi Server function, but that's just another box to plug in and one more to go wrong.
    Is there a program I can run on the Dell that would implement the WiFi server function?

:)

Swifty, Jan 20, 2018

2. I recently got a new router with a new network. Been trying to re-set my HP Deskjet 2540 to new network.

How do I "re-set" this?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Network & internet

jerseyjohn(2), Jan 20, 2018
  3. I recently got a new router with a new network. Been trying to re-set my HP Deskjet 2540 to new network.

Hi,

Let's take care of your concern. Please follow the steps below on how to connect your printer:

• Type printer in the search box on Start or using
      Cortana.
    • Select Printers & Scanners.
    • Turn on the printer.
    • Please check the manual of your printer on how to connect to your Wi-Fi network as this step varies depending on the
      manufacturer.
    • Click Add a printer or scanner.
    • Select your printer.
    • Click Add device.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, Jan 20, 2018
  4. Running a network without a router

Just to clarify, you want:

(Guest WiFi devices) ~~~ (WiFi adapter) --- (Dell) --- (Ethernet adapter) ~~~ (Internet)

Is this correct?

This is exactly what the WiFi Hotspot feature does.

Running a network without a router [​IMG]

PolarNettles, Jan 20, 2018
  5. Swifty Win User
    Aha, I'd forgotten about Mobile hotspots. But I cannot find this feature on my Windows 10 Pro PC.

I found a Microsoft support page that suggested Start -> Settings -> Network & Internet -> Mobile hotspot, but on my system, there's no sign of "Mobile Hotspot" in "Network & Internet".

This happens to me every time I try to do anything remotely unusual. I research how to implement something, but get lost during one of the stages...

Swifty, Jan 20, 2018
  6. Do you have a WiFi adapter installed and an active Internet connection?

7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Not sure in that part of the UK but if you have decent 4G on your mobile phone and an unlimited or generous data allowance you could use your phone to set up a mobile hotspot. My memories of travelling in the UK though suggest that phone companies like the energy providers are absolutely rapacious in fleecing their customers so that might not be a solution.

If your own computer can connect to internet then you can use that to set up a wifi hotspot --disadvantage with that is you need your computer on all the time.

The best solution IMO is to get a portable router and create a private access point on it. I often use one in hotels etc when we want business meetings and you can only get one connection in the room (also if you want to share Netflix etc with colleagues in a few of the adjoining rooms !!!).

This box (I know it's another box but is very small and can easily be carried in laptop case - and can also work on battery power only).

DLINK 750 portable router can also be used as a phone charger too.

D-Link DIR-510L AC750 Wi-Fi Portable Router with Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

Highly recommended "never leave home without it !!!"

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 20, 2018
  8. Swifty Win User

Here at home I have an Ethernet adapter (Cat6 connected to router) but no WiFi adapter (this is a desktop PC we're talking about).

The Dell PC that I'm planning for the holiday home will have a WiFi adapter though.

Swifty, Jan 20, 2018
  9. The Hotspot option will only show up if you have a WiFi adapter installed.

10. Swifty Win User
    The holiday home doesn't have Internet access, as we don't have a telephone landline, and our nearest cellphone mast is more than 25 miles away, across the ocean. I've achieved about 100bps with an old laptop and a USB ethernet adapter on a good day, by going upstairs and hanging out the window.

But leaving the new DELL PC on is no problem. I'll plug it into the same wall-plug as my amplifier, so the entire system will come on together. Or I might just leave the Dell on all the time I'm there; I can play minesweeper then![/QUOTE]

Swifty, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Running a network without a router - Similar Threads - Running network without

2. Router and network indicating differently.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Router and network indicating differently.: New RAC2V1S router to serve as router and server for 6 movie HDD's via USB. Router reports nothing connected to WiFi but all my PC's show in net on PC. Router does not show in net but streams the movies all of which list on my movie player. Why does router not show up in net...
  3. Routers without WiFi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Routers without WiFi: Hi everyone! I work at a small business and finally getting a fibre-optic connection after many decades of near dial-up speed internet. I love using access-points for WiFi as that's what I use at my house (Ubiquiti ac-pro the best i've ever had) and my cable modem router to...
  4. Network list of neighbors routers

Network list of neighbors routers: In the lower right corner of the screen when I click network settings, there is a list of wi-fi's from my neighbor's around me. Can I delete this list or hide it?...
  5. Networking with 10 and router

Networking with 10 and router: I have a Dell and Lenovo desktop connected with a router. The Lenovo can access the Dell files. The Dell can ping the Dell by name or IP but can't access the files. Message says to check with system admin. I have checked everything I can think of but no change. What else...
  6. Network Data with New Router

Network Data with New Router: I have changed out my Router, and now cannot get the NAS and Network Computers to show in My Network. If I put the old router back in server they show again. Where is there a place to delete the old router info, so the new router can provide the connections? It appears...
  7. devices running off router

devices running off router: how do I find out what devices are running off my router https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/devices-running-off-router/db1749e1-d2b0-486b-ac0c-bf2a5a1cdfc1
  8. Networking, router or?

Networking, router or?: Hello, my issue is, I wish to connect my 3 laptops together for shared networking. Windows7, 10 &10. I can connect 2 together via ethernet cable but since my internet access is a private network AirCard (wifi), I don't have a physical router. I am wondering what I need in...
  9. Phantom router on network

Phantom router on network: Recently I've noticed a "phantom" router appearing in my network. The Belkin router is not mine, the Linksys is. Properties of the Belkin router list serial number, MAC address, model number, model, manufacturer, but no IP address. It only shows up on my desktop, not the...
  10. Help required with Networking/router

Help required with Networking/router: Hope someone can help. I'm getting to grips with my new Cambridge CXN streamer. I'm ok with connecting an external USB stick to my PC as the CXN recognises this through my Windows 10 library. However, when I connect the stick to my (BT) router, although Windows sees...