Windows 10: running chkdsk or chkntfs in windows 10

Discus and support running chkdsk or chkntfs in windows 10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Greetings Scanning the hard disk drivers can be done from windows, but I'm curious about bizarre responses to trying to check disk from cmd windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by zivshosh, Nov 20, 2017.

1. zivshosh Win User

running chkdsk or chkntfs in windows 10

Greetings
    Scanning the hard disk drivers can be done from windows, but I'm curious about bizarre responses to trying to check disk from cmd windows (just for info, not fix).
    chkdsk yields:
    Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
    You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.
    and chkntfs yields:
    Cannot query state of drive X:
    can anyone explain?
    thank you

:)

zivshosh, Nov 20, 2017

2. Stopping the drive scan on all drives on startup

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

The proper way to disable CHKDSK from starting up is using the /x switch on
    chkntfs command in command prompt. The /x switch will exclude a drive from the default boot-time check. If you have drive C: as your hard drive, then the command to disable chkdsk from scanning C: drive would be:

chkntfs /x c:

If you have 2 drive, C and D, you can disable chkdsk with the command below

chkntfs /x c: d:

then go ahead and reboot.

Please reply us if you have any further queries we will be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Nov 20, 2017
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Windows 10

Hi Stuart,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Did you make any changes recently which may have led to the issue?

To disable CHKDSK from starting up is using the /x switch on chkntfs command in command prompt. The /x switch will exclude a drive from the default boot-time check. If you have drive C: as your hard drive, then the command to disable chkdsk
    from scanning C: drive would be:

chkntfs /x c:

Hope this information helps.

Jessen P, Nov 20, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You have to run it from a Command Prompt (Admin) - "Run as Administrator" Command Prompt. You are trying to run it from a standard Command Prompt which does not have administrator privileges.

NavyLCDR, Nov 20, 2017
  5. zivshosh Win User
    many thanks
    problem solved

zivshosh, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. running chkdsk or chkntfs in windows 10 - Similar Threads - running chkdsk chkntfs

2. CHKDSK run

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK run: I had my windows 10. Suddenly it shut down and couldnt do automatic repair. ı tried many methods but regback in command prompt helped. after months, same happened again but regback didnt help. So I ran a chkdsk f d even though my OS in C just watched youtube. I typed y for...
  3. CHKDSK run

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHKDSK run: I had my windows 10. Suddenly it shut down and couldnt do automatic repair. ı tried many methods but regback in command prompt helped. after months, same happened again but regback didnt help. So I ran a chkdsk f d even though my OS in C just watched youtube. I typed y for...
  4. CHKDSK run

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. chkdsk is not running.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk is not running.: When trying to run a chkdsk on the Operating System Volume C: it does not run but instead shows this following log under system.This is on a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Virtual Machine. Running from a Hyper-V. Is the chkdsk failing because of this?I've tried the...
  6. chkdsk is not running.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    chkdsk is not running.: When trying to run a chkdsk on the Operating System Volume C: it does not run but instead shows this following log under system.This is on a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Virtual Machine. Running from a Hyper-V. Is the chkdsk failing because of this?I've tried the...
  7. WINDOWS 10 - chkdsk not running after reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WINDOWS 10 - chkdsk not running after reboot: I am on Windows 10.When I use chkdsk it says there are problems but it cant repair them in read-only mode because I use my pc and the C driver I guess, so I do a command to plan the chkdsk during the reboot.When I run chkdsk on my C driver, it tells me I can't use it right...
  8. Running CHKDSK

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Running CHKDSK: Hi, i run chkddsk and this is the result but im not sure what to do about it, maybe i should just reinstall win10?C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkddsk 'chkddsk' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk The type of...
  9. CHKDSK not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK not running: I have errors on C: and scheduled checkdisk to run on restart. The issue is it goes through the countdown for pressing a key to cancel, then it says checking for errors on c but then after a few seconds the screen goes black and goes straight to the windows log in screen....
  10. Access denied for sfc /scannow and chkdsk and chkntfs as administrator.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Access denied for sfc /scannow and chkdsk and chkntfs as administrator.: Case: Corsair Graphite Series 780T Full tower Black/Red LED and lights CPU: AMD FX-8320E Black Edition PileDriver 3.2 GHz Eight-Core System Memory: 24 GB DDR3 Motherboard: ASRock 970A-G/3.1 Power supply: EVGA 500 Watt 80+ ATX PSU Non-modular OS: Windows 10 Charlie Foxtrot...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chkntfs command not good for windows 10?