Windows 10: Running old Program (RideRunner) designed for older Windows versions

Discus and support Running old Program (RideRunner) designed for older Windows versions in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Settings: UAC off, Installed as Admin and being run as Admin. I even tried compatibility mode with no luck. I have this program called RideRunner... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Thunder, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Thunder Win User

Running old Program (RideRunner) designed for older Windows versions

Settings: UAC off, Installed as Admin and being run as Admin. I even tried compatibility mode with no luck.

I have this program called RideRunner for a CarPuter that plays music, Navigation etc (much more than that but you get the idea).
    It was developed when XP was out but was still updated for Windows 7.
    Now with Windows 10 I have a couple problems getting it to work like in Windows 7.
    That forum is pretty much dead so I am hoping to get help elsewhere.

In Windows XP and 7 after shutting down the computer and turning it back on, it would resume to what you were playing and the exact time the song left off at when it was shut down.

Windows 10 will not resume where it was left off. The program opens but does not resume the music where it left off. I don't wan't to use hibernate as a plugin that I want to use don't like hibernation.

1: What changed in the shutdown or startup process between these versions of windows. I was hoping to troubleshoot myself maybe.
    Any other ideas to check out?

2: Windows 10 does not like this program at all, as the only way I can get it to startup when Windows starts is to add it to the registry. I tried the startup folder, scheduled task with no luck. But there is a 10-15 second delay before it starts after seeing the Windows desktop. I was also wondering if this could be causing the first problem.

Is there a way to make Windows 10 trust I program it don't like so I can just put it in the startup folder and maybe it will load faster without the 10-15 second delay.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks

:)

Thunder, Aug 5, 2017

2. Jump Start Preschool won't work on Windows 10

Which version of Jump Start Preschool is it?

You might need to upgrade to a newer version if it was designed for older versions such as Windows XP.

Try compatibility mode:

Run Old Software on Windows 10 with Compatibility Mode - groovyPost

Andre Da Costa, Aug 5, 2017
  3. QuickCam® Communicate STX Plus Generic Drivers

Hi,

you can download the drivers designed for Windows Vista and then install it in the compatibility mode. Refer the link for steps on how to install in compatibility mode:

Make older programs run in this version of Windows

Vinod Archak, Aug 5, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

"It was developed when XP was out" may be part of the problem, only WinXP Professional was available as either 32-bit or 64-bit and you may be running the 64-bit version of Win10.

Berton, Aug 5, 2017
  5. Thunder Win User
    It ran in 64 bit Windows 7

Thunder, Aug 5, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Install Windows 7 in a virtual machine.

cereberus, Aug 5, 2017
  7. Thunder Win User
    If I close the app before shutting down Windows it works correctly but if I let Windows shut it down when I press power button it does not work. When the app closes correctly it creates a resume.ini file that it loads when it starts back up but this is not being created.
    My guess (but don't know too much on this) is that Windows is killing the process and not sending a request to close the app causing this problem. The app is not hanging as Windows shuts down in a few seconds.

Is there a way to create a script or something that will close the app when Windows gets the signal to shutdown?

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Thunder, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Running old Program (RideRunner) designed for older Windows versions - Similar Threads - Running old Program

2. Making an Old Program Run on Newer Versions of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Making an Old Program Run on Newer Versions of Windows: I have a simple program which always ran on previous versions of Windows on my two computers. But after I have installed the latest build of Windows 10 on the first computer and Windows 11 on the second computer, the following error messages appear when I try to start the...
  3. Making an Old Program Run on Newer Versions of Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Making an Old Program Run on Newer Versions of Windows: I have a simple program which always ran on previous versions of Windows on my two computers. But after I have installed the latest build of Windows 10 on the first computer and Windows 11 on the second computer, the following error messages appear when I try to start the...
  4. design program not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    design program not running: hi im having a problem with a software program called vizterra, its kind of like auto cad. its to design back yard decks etc. it wont let me open. when trying to run is sayig multiple .DLL files are missing. any chance anyone would know how to fix this problem or do i have to...
  5. design program not running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    design program not running: hi im having a problem with a software program called vizterra, its kind of like auto cad. its to design back yard decks etc. it wont let me open. when trying to run is sayig multiple .DLL files are missing. any chance anyone would know how to fix this problem or do i have to...
  6. design program not running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Installation of newer version of Windows 10 in an old pc which is running on older version...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation of newer version of Windows 10 in an old pc which is running on older version...: I am using dell laptop bought in 2012,it used to run on windows 7 before and it was a bit slow so i gave it to format to windows 10.It has been formatted to the older version of windows 10.It is just a bit slow in this version.Now can i update it to the latest version of...
  8. Design Doll Newest Version Won't open, older version gives error.

Design Doll Newest Version Won't open, older version gives error.: The most recent DesignDoll update 5.4.2 will not run at all. It will install, but if I click on it to run it, it won't open. I already installed the XNA and DirectX, multiple times. I've cleared out all of the files, restarted, turned off my firewall, allowed it specifically...
  9. Running old video games designed for older version of windows on window 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Running old video games designed for older version of windows on window 10: Hello, Is there a way of playing old video games designed for older versions of windows 10 as it doesn't seem to be backward compatible with games released in a previous era. ? thanks, Habib....
  10. Running a game for an older version of windows in windows 10

Running a game for an older version of windows in windows 10: Hi, as you can probably guess, I'm attempting to run a game that was meant to be played on XP SP3, Vista SP2 and/or Windows 7 on windows 10. Its an install from CD game and I can't figure out how to do it. Any suggestions? The game is Star Wars: Empire at War - Gold Pack if...