Windows 10: Running out of memory since Anniversary update

Discus and support Running out of memory since Anniversary update in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I play DDO, I also have chrome and Explorer open. This was never a problem until the anniversary update. Now I get screen messages saying I need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by pappo46, Oct 18, 2016.

1. pappo46 Win User

Running out of memory since Anniversary update

When I play DDO, I also have chrome and Explorer open. This was never a problem until the anniversary update. Now I get screen messages saying I need to close something because I am running out of memory. Task manager shows memory usage at 89 - 91%. Even after I closed Chrome, usage is still at 79%.
    I have an Alienware M17 laptop with 16Gb RAM. What changed in the anniversary update?

:)

pappo46, Oct 18, 2016

2. running out of memory on c drive

Please provide more information so that the cause of your problem may be diagnosed.

Please restart your computer and allow 20 minutes for the system to run before uploading information required to help me investigate your problem. When examining Event Viewer log files many, not all, problems show in the period immediately after
    the computer has been booted.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R, type msinfo32
    and click OK . Place the cursor on
    System Summary. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Click Save.
    Files in the txt file format are preferred.Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file.The system creates
    a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. If the
    report is in a language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload to your OneDrive and share with everyone a copy of your
    System log file from your Event Viewer and post a link here. Please remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type
    eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and
    Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do not provide filtered files.
    Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do
    not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

gerrys template

Gerry C J Cornell, Oct 18, 2016
  3. running out of memory on c drive

I had a message last October that I was running out of space on my C drive. We were going to buy an external drive, but were told that was only storage for music, pix, games ,etc., not program memory.

It seems our weekly recovery/restore/backup. (I'm not very familiar with what these terms mean or the difference) was copying itself, entirely, on our C disk, and thus using up gobs of space. A service tech went somewhere in our PC files, & deleted all the
    excess. Everything was fine, but I think it may be happening again.

A couple of weeks ago I had 176 GB of 232GB free. Two days ago, I had only 170GB. (I do know how to periodically check on that.)

Obviously some setting was changed, but what? And how? And what would take up so much space? I run CCleaner, Disk Update, AdAware & Malwarebytes every morning. CCleaner is now taking about 45 minutes to run, and spends most time at the 39% mark, checking
    what I think are registry items. It used to take less than a minute.

Where do I look (please tell me precisely
    where to look, and how to get there.) to figure this out and what I can delete.

Or maybe there was a Microsoft download/update within the last month? I already have the Anniversary Update, which downloaded in October, when there was finally space/room/memory for it.

I don't want to visit the Geek Squad again if possible!

Thank you. Joan

auntijoan1, Oct 18, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, nothing that had that specific effect that I'm (yet) aware of...

Have you ever changed your page file setting from its default?
    Have you checked your page file settings are still appropriate?

Have you tried to identify what processes are using RAM? If you can't see this in task manager, try e.g. Process Explorer (free from MS)

dalchina, Oct 18, 2016
  5. pappo46 Win User
    Thanks, I forgot about the page file. I will look for Process Explorer.

pappo46, Oct 18, 2016
  6. pappo46 Win User
    Your recommendation was the fix.. Thank you. Somehow my pagefile got set to 0. I enabled it on my second internal drive and my RAM usage went from 89% to 23%. With my game, Google Chrome, and Explorer all open, it only gets up to about 35%. What an improvement.

I also downloaded Process Explorer. Very nice app. thanks for that also.

Thanks

pappo46, Oct 19, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Great- amazing how much in the way of resources is used.. you'd think 16Gb would be huge.
    Odd the setting changed...

Now I remember running a program I wrote for design proving and replica board testing of a pair of PCBs using the first single chip up our company used which ran in 64k bytes of RAM - 8 cards each with 8kbytes of RAM. The up had 512 words of 12 bit memory.

dalchina, Oct 19, 2016
  8. pappo46 Win User

I would think 16Gb would be more than enough to run a game, browser, and Explorer without ram usage going to 80%. I wonder if the anniversary update added more bloat..

pappo46, Oct 19, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    I've not noticed any change.. and you're down to a much lower usage level as things can be paged out. I don't know what your game needs in terms of resources, so can't comment. Your VRAM is perhaps 3Gb or so max, so you could be using system memory for graphics.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Running out of memory since Anniversary update - Similar Threads - Running memory since

2. Virtual memory keeps running out

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Virtual memory keeps running out: My PC has 32GB of memory and I've never had an issue with virtual memory in the past. I'm now running out of virtual memory every few days which seems to be caused by the commit size for searchindexer.exe constantly increasing. I noted today when I ran out of VM that the...
  3. Windows anniversary update: Not enough memory

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows anniversary update: Not enough memory: ALrighty then...... I see a LOT of windows anniversary threads, sorry for not reading all 6 million of them to see if my problem was addressed. By the titles I saw it wasn't. Anyway, I've gone through this whole download install thing about 5 times now. EACH time at the...
  4. Problem with digital certificates since Anniversary Update

in Browsers and Email
    Problem with digital certificates since Anniversary Update: HI Since performing the Anniversary Update 3 days ago, I have been unable to access my digital certificates used for identification and signing emails. When I try to access a site that I need the certificate for, I now get the message that no certificate has been received...
  5. Permissions error (CLSID/APPID) since Anniversary Update

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions error (CLSID/APPID) since Anniversary Update: Hi guys. I am seeing this error twice on every boot since upgrading (even a clean install doesn't clear it). Code: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM Date: 04/08/2016 02:03:45 Event ID: 10016 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User:...
  6. Updates post Anniversary just keep running

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates post Anniversary just keep running: Since the Anniversary update, Windows has updated 3 times. Each time I have restarted my PC to install, it just runs and runs ie the little whirly circle on the screen and an occasional blip on the hard disk light. The first time I let it run for 3 hours as I saw this being...
  7. Store apps not running after anniversary update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Store apps not running after anniversary update: Before the anniversary update all of my Windows Store apps were working properly. Now some of the apps will start the app splash screen like it is going to launch, then it exits back to the desktop. I have searched the issue of windows store apps not running on the internet....
  8. uTorrent Running Out Of Memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    uTorrent Running Out Of Memory: Hi, I'm using a validated copy of Windows 10 and I was using uTorrent today and suddenly I got a message that it ran out of memory. I've used uTorrent with Windows 10 quite a few times with no problem whatsoever. I tried deleting the torrent and then I tried another one. It...
  9. Blue Screen Since Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen Since Anniversary Update: I keep getting the odd blue screen since the anniversary update. I think it's network related, the network driver. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it but it keeps happening. Any ideas? Attached is the zip file as per rules of posting on this section. 61175
  10. 4 BSODs since Win 10 Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    4 BSODs since Win 10 Anniversary Update: Hi, I bought the Lenovo T460p a few months ago and since the anniversary update of Windows 10 (not 100% sure if that's the cause), I'm receiving BSODs irregularly (e.g. one yesterday, two today within 15 min). I attached the output of the dm log collector: Attachment...