Windows 10: Running program windows not showing up on desktop

Discus and support Running program windows not showing up on desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just installed windows 10 on my laptop ASUS ROG G751JM Laptop NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX860M with 2GB 1TB HDD 7200 RPM With 256 GB SSD 1.5TB HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by miker21468, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Running program windows not showing up on desktop

I just installed windows 10 on my laptop

ASUS ROG G751JM Laptop
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX860M with 2GB
    1TB HDD 7200 RPM With 256 GB SSD
    1.5TB HDD 5400 With 128 GB SSD
    1TB HDD 5400 With 8 GB SSD
    Intel Core I7 HQ-4710 2.5 G
    Memory 8G

When I start some programs the program will start up normal, It shows up as running in the task bar I can even alt-tab and see the running program but I cant see the program on my desktop in order to interact with it. I have tried cascading all my windows it still will not show up. Ive tried right clicking the program on the task bar and selecting "move" that does not work. This only started when I installed windows 10. Some of the programs that wont show up are.

ASUS GPU Tweak
    Netflix
    Control Panel (occasionally happens but can get it back by restarting computer)

Very annoying. Any suggestions Im out of ideas

Thank you,

Michael

:)

miker21468, Aug 21, 2015
  2. SteveDH Win User

Blank screen after upgrade

Original title: Nothing goes to desktop.

After updating to Windows 10, my PC usually presents a blank screen with active cursor. When I do get to the desktop, there are no icons on the desktop. When I start a program, the taskbar shows it's running but there is nothing on the desktop. The taskbar
    pop-up does show that the program is operating. I did get the NVidia app up and it says I am running Windows 10 Drivers.

Please help - my PC is unusable.

Update: I've found that I can open some programs (Quicken, Excel, PowerPoint, and IE) by using the Windows+R key and searching for their .exe. They will appear on the desktop. Outlook will not.

SteveDH, Aug 21, 2015
  3. showing program icons on the desktop

Thanks - works well. My first new PC for 8 years. How things change! Cheers.

LIONELTOWNSEND, Aug 21, 2015
  4. LT2000 Win User

Running program windows not showing up on desktop

I had the same problem. It was due to my monitor I think (HDMI + DP for an ultrawide). What fixed it for me was Settings/System/Display/Multiple Displays/Duplicate these displays.

I think somehow the program not showing in the desktop was getting sent to the wrong monitor (even though I had 1, it thinks it is 2).

LT2000, Aug 21, 2015
  5. Ok I just went to Settings/System/Display/Multiple Displays/Duplicate these displays and it is just showing up as one display. I dont get any options for multiple dispalys. Its even saying "didnt detect any other displays"

Thank you for your reply though.

Michael

miker21468, Aug 21, 2015
  6. LT2000 Win User
    Shoot, don't know then. Was just throwing that out there. It is frustrating for sure!

LT2000, Aug 21, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Aug 21, 2015
  8. Running program windows not showing up on desktop

That link contains good directions, but i will explain it now...You have to hold shift and right-click on the application in taskbar. Then select move, if move is gray, then select restore or maximize, then move. After clicking move use the arrow keys to move the application around the screen. The issue is caused by a problem in which the app drifts offscreen and has its position saved there. Enjoy the answer.*Wink

Kill999Shot999, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Running program windows not showing up on desktop

1. Running program windows not showing up on desktop - Similar Threads - Running program showing

2. Run not showing up in search

in Windows 10 Support
    Run not showing up in search: After I had some issues with syncing my domain user, I cannot find "Run" when I type Run in the search box How can I fix that? 179246
  3. Windows Icon on Desktop not showing up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Icon on Desktop not showing up: For me, the icons on the desktop don't have the icons showing up. So like the apps on the desktop don't have their icons showing up. And also in apps like File Explorer the icons also don't show up.[ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  4. desktop not showing up.

desktop not showing up.: [ATTACH] please help me in getting out of this trouble. My desktop has disappeared and this error pops up every time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-not-showing-up/e8d7a65b-71a7-486e-a8be-9deda992c885
  5. Programs "Run as Administrator" ONLY will not run from the Desktop

Programs "Run as Administrator" ONLY will not run from the Desktop: I've just noticed this - I have a few programs that should only be run as an Admin - they have the blue/yellow shield. I In the past I right clicked and ran these from the desktop as an administrator - no problem, Now all of a sudden I find that I can only run these programs...
  6. Remote Desktop is preventing program runs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remote Desktop is preventing program runs: Hello, I have a computer setup where users remotely connect from their windows 10 device to another windows 10 device to run a testing program. originally the remote computers were windows 7. Users were able to start a test run and lock their local computer and the remote...
  7. Start-up Programs not showing up anywhere in Windows

Start-up Programs not showing up anywhere in Windows: Recently i installed a new VPN software on my pc, but i noticed that it runs up whenever i power up my pc after every shutdown, so i decided to disable that feature from the program's settings, but there wasn't anything in the program to do that, then i decided to disable it...
  8. Desktop not showing up in Windows Activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Desktop not showing up in Windows Activation: I have tried to move Windows 10 from my laptop to my desktop, but I can't activate it on my desktop. I am logged into my MS account, but when I go into the "I have changed hardware" part of the activation troubleshoot, I can't find my desktop. Thanks...
  9. Do not show running programs on taskbar

Do not show running programs on taskbar: Hi! I was sick of windows and decided to switch to linux. I found amazing linux distribution which is called Elementary OS Freya and looks just amazing. Really nice and minimalist. Unfortunately I'm an 3D artist so I'm a software dependent so I can't use linux because the...
  10. Icons not showing up on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons not showing up on desktop: Hello all, I've run into a problem on my laptop where icons are not showing up on the desktop. If I go to Personalization and add icons for My Computer, Recycle Bin, or whatever, they don't show up. Copy-pasting a file to the desktop, it doesn't show up. However, I can see...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Running program windows not showing up on desktop