Running sfc /scannow more than once question

Discus and support Running sfc /scannow more than once question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've run across the suggestion that when running sfc /scannow it should be run two or three times, even if you received the message Windows Resource... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dc3of4, May 29, 2018.

1. dc3of4 Win User

I've run across the suggestion that when running sfc /scannow it should be run two or three times, even if you received the message Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. My understanding has been that if no integrity violation are found you shouldn't need to run further scans. True of false?

:)

dc3of4, May 29, 2018
  2. Wilson T Win User

Run CCleaner and sfc /scannow?

Hi,

How often should I run CCleaner and sfc /scannow?

Thanks

Wilson T, May 29, 2018
  3. Vanessa Sohtun Win User
    sfc /scannow won't complete

Hi,

As per the information, I suggest that you run SFC in Safe Mode with admin privileges and check if the same issue occurs.

If the issue persist, you can check for the following:

1. Scan the Hard Drive for Errors

The first thing to do is to tell Windows you want to perform a file system check on the hard drive to ensure there are no errors. If there are errors on the drive, 'sfc /scannow' may fail.

To scan the drive for errors, do the following:

• Open an administrative command prompt. In Windows XP, click Start -> Run, and type in "cmd.exe" and press Enter. Click Start and type in "cmd" (no quotes). Wait for Command Prompt or CMD.EXE to appear in the list of options and right click it, then select
      "Run as Administrator".
    • A black command prompt window will appear on the screen. Highlight the following text with your mouse: "chkdsk /x /f /r" (do not include the quotes), then right click over the highlighted text and select Copy. Next, go to the command prompt and right click
      in the middle of the window and select Paste from the dialogue menu. The command you copied should have output to the command prompt. If it did not, repeat this step until it does. After the command is output, press Enter on your keyboard to execute it. When
      prompted, press "Y" to have chkdsk scan your hard drive for errors on the next reboot.

2. Enable the Hidden Administrator Account

Next we'll enable the hidden administrator account so that you can perform the 'sfc /scannow' command in a clean environment.

To do so:

• Highlight the following text with your mouse: "net user administrator /active:yes" (do not include the quotes), then right click over the highlighted text and select Copy. Next, go to the command prompt and right click in the middle of the window and select
      Paste from the dialogue menu. The command you copied should have output to the command prompt. If it did not, repeat this step until it does. After the command is output, press Enter on your keyboard to execute it.
    • Please note that you will most likely want to disable the administrator account after you have finished making changes listed in this document, otherwise anyone will be able to login to your computer as the administrator user without using a password and
      make changes to the system without any authorization. You can disable the administrator account using the exact steps you just took above, except you would replace "net user administrator /active:yes" with "net user administrator /active:no".

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, May 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Running sfc /scannow more than once question - Similar Threads - Running sfc scannow

2. Bing.com now runs on .NET Core 2.1

in Windows 10 News
    Bing.com now runs on .NET Core 2.1: Bing.com is a cloud service that runs on thousands of servers spanning many datacenters across the globe. Bing servers handle thousands of users’ queries every second from consumers around the world doing searches through their browsers, from our partners using the Microsoft...
  3. Windows 10 intermittently hangs even when no programs are running

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 intermittently hangs even when no programs are running: Hi, I have a relatively blank windows 10 machine, except for the stuff that's pre-loaded. I'm not a techie so I don't like touching things unless I have to. My machine is an acer running on windows 10 (not sure what version, I assume the most basic one that comes with the...
  4. A Couple of Brief Questions: Search Engines / Unplugged Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    A Couple of Brief Questions: Search Engines / Unplugged Laptop: 1. When I want to 'clean' my laptop, I often go to History and 'Clear History'. Then I scroll up to Manage Search Engines and there are 5, 6 , 8 different websites I have recently visited. I am confident they exist because my computer has picked up some cookies, but they are...
  5. windows 10 running slow. how to speed up?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 running slow. how to speed up?: windows 10 running slow. how to speed up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-running-slow-how-to-speed-up/ea81a7dd-7f4e-47f0-b589-3431952ab978
  6. windows 10 running slow. how to speed up?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 running slow. how to speed up?: windows 10 running slow. how to speed up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-running-slow-how-to-speed-up/337cbc36-ef50-4061-9e06-5a774d88a9de
  7. Why don't links open up OVER other applications running, in order of clicked.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why don't links open up OVER other applications running, in order of clicked.: So, for example, when I have my email tab opened full screen and I click a link on one of my emails it doesn't take me to that link in a new opened tab. I have to go searching for where it opened. Usually on other computers, when you click an application, it opens up over...
  8. Questions about replacing corrupt Ram & other parts

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Questions about replacing corrupt Ram & other parts: Hi guys, After getting random BSOD (SEE THIS THREAD) and spending hours trying to diagnose the issue, I took out one of the two Ballistix memory chips and bingo! My PC booted up instantly without any hitches. Since I'm now only left with 4 GB and the PC is running a tad...
  9. Questions about replacing corrupt Ram & other parts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions about replacing corrupt Ram & other parts: Hi guys, After getting random BSOD (SEE THIS THREAD) and spending hours trying to diagnose the issue, I took out one of the two Ballistix memory chips and bingo! My PC booted up instantly without any hitches. Since I'm now only left with 4 GB and the PC is running a tad...
  10. About once a week I get a popup message that the backup space on my computer E: drive is...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    About once a week I get a popup message that the backup space on my computer E: drive is...: About once a week I get a popup message that the backup space on my computer E: drive is out of space. How can I increase the amount of space allocated to this drive?...