Windows 10: Running sfc /scannow more than once question

Discus and support Running sfc /scannow more than once question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've run across the suggestion that when running sfc /scannow it should be run two or three times, even if you received the message Windows Resource... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dc3of4, May 29, 2018.

1. dc3of4 Win User

Running sfc /scannow more than once question

I've run across the suggestion that when running sfc /scannow it should be run two or three times, even if you received the message Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. My understanding has been that if no integrity violation are found you shouldn't need to run further scans. True of false?

:)

dc3of4, May 29, 2018
  2. Wilson T Win User

Run CCleaner and sfc /scannow?

Hi,

How often should I run CCleaner and sfc /scannow?

Thanks

Wilson T, May 29, 2018
  3. Vanessa Sohtun Win User
    sfc /scannow won't complete

Hi,

As per the information, I suggest that you run SFC in Safe Mode with admin privileges and check if the same issue occurs.

If the issue persist, you can check for the following:

1. Scan the Hard Drive for Errors

The first thing to do is to tell Windows you want to perform a file system check on the hard drive to ensure there are no errors. If there are errors on the drive, 'sfc /scannow' may fail.

To scan the drive for errors, do the following:

• Open an administrative command prompt. In Windows XP, click Start -> Run, and type in "cmd.exe" and press Enter. Click Start and type in "cmd" (no quotes). Wait for Command Prompt or CMD.EXE to appear in the list of options and right click it, then select
      "Run as Administrator".
    • A black command prompt window will appear on the screen. Highlight the following text with your mouse: "chkdsk /x /f /r" (do not include the quotes), then right click over the highlighted text and select Copy. Next, go to the command prompt and right click
      in the middle of the window and select Paste from the dialogue menu. The command you copied should have output to the command prompt. If it did not, repeat this step until it does. After the command is output, press Enter on your keyboard to execute it. When
      prompted, press "Y" to have chkdsk scan your hard drive for errors on the next reboot.

2. Enable the Hidden Administrator Account

Next we'll enable the hidden administrator account so that you can perform the 'sfc /scannow' command in a clean environment.

To do so:

• Highlight the following text with your mouse: "net user administrator /active:yes" (do not include the quotes), then right click over the highlighted text and select Copy. Next, go to the command prompt and right click in the middle of the window and select
      Paste from the dialogue menu. The command you copied should have output to the command prompt. If it did not, repeat this step until it does. After the command is output, press Enter on your keyboard to execute it.
    • Please note that you will most likely want to disable the administrator account after you have finished making changes listed in this document, otherwise anyone will be able to login to your computer as the administrator user without using a password and
      make changes to the system without any authorization. You can disable the administrator account using the exact steps you just took above, except you would replace "net user administrator /active:yes" with "net user administrator /active:no".

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, May 29, 2018
Thema:

Running sfc /scannow more than once question

1. Running sfc /scannow more than once question - Similar Threads - Running sfc scannow

2. SFC /SCANNOW Question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC /SCANNOW Question: Just got a Windows Update. Build 17134.285. After everything installed and updated, I ran sfc /scannow and it said I had corrupted files it could not fix. Use the log created do an online repair? So there is a way to fix the file corruption without re-installing Windows? 117934
  3. Running sfc /scannow more than once

Running sfc /scannow more than once: I've run across the suggestion that when running sfc /scannow it should be run two or three times, even if you received the message Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. My understanding has been that if no integrity violation are found you...
  4. sfc /scannow failed

sfc /scannow failed: Hi guys , I have a laptop with windows 10 home upgraded from windows 7 home ( engl/us ) I've installed Windows anniversary update 1607 successfuly and I've created a DVD installation disk too, burning the .iso file to disk (imgburn) A few days before I ran from command...
  5. Problems found after running sfc /scannow

Problems found after running sfc /scannow: WINDOWS\diagnostics\system\Apps" is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-Windows-AppsDiagnostic, pA = amd64, nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} 26799
  6. SFC /scannow errror

SFC /scannow errror: Hi, just wondering if these are anything I should try to fix or if I can just ignore them. When doing a sfc /scannow after it finished it reported this. I'm just trying to get my laptop ready for the upgrade and getting ready to clean it up and make an image. [img]...
  7. Question about sfc /scannow...

Question about sfc /scannow...: I'm having some irreparable results in sfc /scannow. I know this is a long shot in the dark but I thought it is worth asking. My question here is...is it possible that windows registry and system files have duplicates and thus sfc /scannow returns them in the results...
  8. Running sfc /scannow shows that there are errors

Running sfc /scannow shows that there are errors: Things are not going well for me. Multiple system issues are being reported in the Reliability Monitor although these are not obvious while using the OS. One of the things I have now tried is sfc /scannow from a command prompt in both normal and safe modes. It reports...
  9. Sfc /scannow

Sfc /scannow: Hi I'm new to the forum When running SFC / SCANNOW I get an error message - Can someone help in fixing the issues that it refers to? "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log...
  10. Opencl.dll on sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Support
    Opencl.dll on sfc /scannow: hey guys long time lurker here, usually i find solutions on my problem but this time around, i have no idea what to do! Short story: ran sfc /scannow and got the message "found corrupt files but cannot repair," specifically regarding Opencl.dll. Can i fix this w/o doing a...