Windows 10: Running sfc /scannow shows that there are errors

Discus and support Running sfc /scannow shows that there are errors in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Things are not going well for me. Multiple system issues are being reported in the Reliability Monitor although these are not obvious while using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by GregH, Aug 29, 2015.

1. GregH Win User

Running sfc /scannow shows that there are errors

Things are not going well for me. Multiple system issues are being reported in the Reliability Monitor although these are not obvious while using the OS.

One of the things I have now tried is sfc /scannow from a command prompt in both normal and safe modes. It reports some errors. I'm reviewed the CBS log it writes to (I have not included the entire log, as it is 11MB) and I see countless entries along the lines of the ones below:

2015-08-30 11:40:22, Info CSI 000005c3 [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [ml:164{82},l:162{81}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\NetworkSwitchManager\en-US" is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-NetworkSwitch-Management.Resources, pA = amd64, Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-US", nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

2015-08-30 11:40:30, Info CSI 000007f5 Warning - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory [l:108{54}]"\??\C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink" in component Microsoft-Shared-Ink-Directory, Version = 10.0.10240.16384, pA = amd64, nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

2015-08-30 11:46:45, Info CSI 00004ff6 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.powershell.v3.common_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240.16384_no ne_9f8b0cd11e52ad99\Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.psd1 do not match actual file [l:60{30}]"Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.psd1" :
    Found: {l:32 b:3h2o83kd616loRyaZxebHiQKoUl5Uko8wordDjYSwP4=} Expected: {l:32 b:lJUQUADTDWs/peQMEHbT6ui7JppshVDqlD2o9W4KG+o=}
    2015-08-30 11:46:45, Info CSI 00004ff7 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:60{30}]"Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.psd1" of Microsoft.Windows.PowerShell.V3.Common, Version = 10.0.10240.16384, pA = amd64, nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch

2015-08-30 11:46:45, Info CSI 00004ffe [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:162{81},l:160{80}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\Microsoft.PowerShell.Host"\[l:60{30}]"Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.psd1"; source file in store is also corrupted
    2015-08-30 11:46:45, Info CSI 00004fff [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [ml:168{84},l:166{83}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility" is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft.Windows.PowerShell.V3.Common, pA = amd64, nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

Any ideas? Or must I toss my EVO840 SSD which is not that old. I also ran chkdsk in safe mode and there were no errors reported on that.

:)

GregH, Aug 29, 2015
  2. nancy3243 Win User

Problem running "sfc /scannow" Error :There is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again

I neglected to mention I have Windows 10 OS. In trying to follow your instructions I can't even execute Step 1. My system simply shuts down completely. I'm not the brightest bulb, so please bear with me. Look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks.

nancy3243, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Problem running "sfc /scannow" Error :There is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I suggest you to run Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with
    Windows Update. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your
    Windows Update. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option
      on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run Windows Update troubleshooter and
      BITS troubleshooter.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Aug 29, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Gregh,

Please upload the log file using a 3rd party uploader.

5. GregH Win User
    Hi, can you advise on what 3rd party uploaded options I can use? I only
    know of Photobucket and maybe Dropbox?

GregH, Aug 29, 2015
  6. axe0 New Member
    Dropbox, onedrive, mediafire.
    There are lots of them.

7. Mansome Win User
    Open admin command prompt type the line below
    Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Done. Make sure you connected to the internet when you do this command.

Mansome, Aug 30, 2015
  8. moondoggy Win User

The SFC log is very cryptic and there's a lot of data to wade through. I would recommend that you download SFCFIX.EXE from http://thetechcookbook.com/automatic...ir-sfcfix-exe/ and run it. I've used SFCFIX before when I had some SCANNOW errors and it sifted thru the cryptic details and simply applied the fix for me. Hope this helps you.

moondoggy, Aug 30, 2015
  9. GregH Win User
    OK, I have uploaded my CBS log, link is below in this post (Dropbox). File is 9MB. Hopefully you clever guys (and girls) can make head or tail of what is going on here. Gibberish to me but what I do notice is this:
    1. There are no specific reports of 'corrupt' files
    2. There are multiple reports of ownership - either directory is not owned or duplicate ownership.
    3. As per advice of moondoggy, I ran SFCFIX.EXE. It found no errors at all.

This log was run immediately after a CLEAN install from a USB ISO on the UEFI Bios. No apps or antivirus etc installed. Further, the OS was installed to a brand new, out of the box SSD (Samsung EVO850 500GB) using the installation guide in these forums.

Is it possible that these errors would be eradicated if I installed Windows from a DVD (would require me purchasing it with the additional license :-(

Really appreciate the help - this is driving me nuts! I never had any of these issues under Win 7.

Dropbox - CBS.log

GregH, Aug 31, 2015
  10. axe0 New Member
    It seems there is 1 file causing troubles.
    Please try the following:Open an admin command prompt
    Copy/paste sfc/scannow
    Reboot
    Open an admin command prompt
    Enter sfc/scannow againSee if the message from sfc is "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violation"
    If the message is different, try sfc, reboot, sfc, a few times.

After you have tried this a couple of times and the message is still not "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violation", copy/paste the following command "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

Running sfc /scannow shows that there are errors [​IMG]
    Note If SFC (system file check) has found a/some violation(s) you need to reboot in order for SFC to try to fix the problems.
    If SFC can't fix the problems after a couple of tries, then you can try the dism commands, earlier is not necessary

11. GregH Win User
    Thanks axe0,

I am at work now but as soon as I get home, will try this and report back. *Thumbs

Just to confirm though - do I include the copy/paste part or just type scf /scannow ?

GregH, Aug 31, 2015
  12. GregH Win User
    I tried what has been suggested above but no joy.....Well, the issue is sorted out now. I shelled out for a DVD copy of Windows 10 Pro. Installed it and no more issues when running sfc /scannow. I downloaded the USB ISO twice and got the error so I recon the USB ISO files as delivered from MS are simply not 100% compatible with my system. For whatever reason, a DVD install sorted it. Thanks for the help though, really appreciate it.

GregH, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Running sfc /scannow shows that there are errors - Similar Threads - Running sfc scannow

2. sfc /scannow error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow error: I'm running sfc /scannow regularly, and i am getting back wierd results. It seems I have problem with one file, sfc /scannow either finds it corrupt, and repairs it, or does not find any problem at all. 2023-03-18 08:24:08, Info CSI 000001ff [SR] Repairing 1 components...
  3. sfc /scannow error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow error: I'm running sfc /scannow regularly, and i am getting back wierd results. It seems I have problem with one file, sfc /scannow either finds it corrupt, and repairs it, or does not find any problem at all. 2023-03-18 08:24:08, Info CSI 000001ff [SR] Repairing 1 components...
  4. sfc\scannow was just run.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc\scannow was just run.: i ran sfc /scannow after it say windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them for online Repairs details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\logs\CBS\CBS.logs. for example c:\windowns\logs\CBS.log for oflinerapirs details are...
  5. Cannot run sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot run sfc /scannow: Hi,Believing my Windows installation had some missing or corrupted files, I tried to run sfc /scannow in my command prompt. But I got the error message: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.I already tried to:- Run the command prompt as...
  6. Cannot run sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot run sfc /scannow: Hi,Believing my Windows installation had some missing or corrupted files, I tried to run sfc /scannow in my command prompt. But I got the error message: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.I already tried to:- Run the command prompt as...
  7. Cannot run SFC/scannow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot run SFC/scannow: Dear all, Tried all sorts of remedies for above problem, nothing seems to work. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-run-sfcscannow/85432df1-6503-4753-bdd6-932c282071ca
  8. Error message when running sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error message when running sfc /scannow: I get an error message when running scannow saying that some files are corrupt and could not be fixed. How do I fix them? My laptop seems to be in an unstable state. Thanks for your help...
  9. SFC /scannow - errors

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC /scannow - errors: Hey all! I recently upgrade to Windows 10 2 weeks ago and for kicks I decided to run an SFC /scannow .. and It found a whole slew of errors! It's weird because I don't see anything wrong with the OS but I know there are according to the scanner. I ran it a few times,...
  10. SFC /SCANNOW Error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC /SCANNOW Error: When trying to run SFC /SCANNOW the following error is generated: C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. Is this a knpown problem with solution? 20898