Windows 10: Running the SFC and DISM commands

Discus and support Running the SFC and DISM commands in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The picture below shows how I run the sfc & dism cmds --- sfc should be run before & after the dism cmd --- [IMG] It works for me.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DavidBaileyyz, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Running the SFC and DISM commands

The picture below shows how I run the sfc & dism cmds ---

sfc should be run before & after the dism cmd ---

Running the SFC and DISM commands [​IMG]

It works for me.

:)

DavidBaileyyz, Aug 17, 2018
  2. RejZoR Win User

Can't get SFC and DISM to work anymore on Win10

Ok, can someone help me out because this crap is starting to piss me off. There was once a time when you could simply run SFC and DISM to check Windows files integrity and if there were any problems found with the local files, Windows repaired it automatically. The reason why I want to run this is because I'm getting stupendously huge amount of errors and warnings in Event Viewer, but I don't want to run refresh because it'll mess up tons of apps.

Commands I used:
    sfc /scannow
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Fast forward few years and we now have glorious Windows 10. Trying to run the same tools, they find errors but stubbornly refuse to fix ANYTHING. What's the god damn point of it then?

Sfc finds issues but can't repair them and DISM constantly bitches how it can't find the source. All this used to work directly in Windows 7, but in Win 10, nothing. This was one of the best features to get OS back in good state and they go and ruin it. Because Microsoft!

I've checked this thread:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.co...sfc-failed-to-repair?forum=win10itprohardware

Nothing worked. And they keep mentioning install.wim where my Windows image downloaded from Microsoft itself! only carries install.esd which I can't seem to use with anything.

I've also tried this tool:
    CodePlex Archive

Which again wants .wim file and refuses to work with esd.

RejZoR, Aug 17, 2018
  3. Command prompt crashes when trying to run dism

Me: There's smoke and fire coming out of my computer.

Support Engineer: I suggest you to run System File Checker..

Me: I can't, my house is burning down.

Support Engineer: Have you tried running System File Checker?

Me: It burns! It burns!

Support Engineer: I suggest you to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

• Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

joeo sullivan, Aug 17, 2018
  4. tooney(2) Win User

Running the SFC and DISM commands

In troubleshooting Windows Update, how do the recommended DISM and SFC commands actually work?

I am trying to understand what the DISM and SFC commands listed in the

Fix Window Update errors
    guide actually do. I have searched posts online about these two commands but I still have questions about how they work in this situation.

One of the later steps in the guide is "Fix Windows File Corruption". The two commands in that step are:

1. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

(explanation:

/online applies to a running operating system

/Cleanup-Image Performs cleanup or recovery operations on the image

/RestoreHealth Scans the image for component store corruption, and then performs repair operations automatically)

Followed by:

2. sfc /scannow

(explanation:

/scannow Scans the integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with problems when possible.)

Is the “image” that DISM is cleaning up a copy/image of the operating system, or is it the actual components/files of the operating system running on the computer?

Is this DISM command actually altering the operations of the computer, or just modifying an image?

Is the image checked/cleaned up by DISM used by the sfc command?

What is the difference between DISM and sfc commands?

Another article about using DISM says: ImportantWhen you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions.
    However, if your Windows Update client is already broken, use a running Windows installation as the repair source, or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share or from a removable media, such as the Windows DVD, as the source of the files.

If the reason you run DISM is to troubleshoot windows update on your computer and DISM uses Windows Update to fix corruptions, what is the point of using this DISM command in the Fix Windows Update Errors guideline?

A docs.microsoft.com article about DISM best practices says: We do not recommend that you use the Sfc.exe scan options to automatically fix Windows system files.

Is there a risk that having DISM /restorehealth and/or sfc /scannow make changes will further corrupt the system?

Thanks for any replies that help me clear this up.

tooney(2), Aug 17, 2018
Thema:

Running the SFC and DISM commands

1. Running the SFC and DISM commands - Similar Threads - Running SFC DISM

2. Can't install drivers, update Windows, run sfc scannow or DISM command.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't install drivers, update Windows, run sfc scannow or DISM command.: Hello, I am having several issues currently. I recently received a Faulty hardware corrupted page blue screen crash and since then I have been unable to access certain apps such as Steam, update windows, update drivers, or run the sfc scannow or DISM commands. I have run a...
  3. Can't install drivers, update Windows, run sfc scannow or DISM command.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install drivers, update Windows, run sfc scannow or DISM command.: Hi, I'm having several issues right now. When I try to install drivers, I always get the message"one of the installers for this device cannot perform the installation this time."This happened for my amd graphics driver and for apple software. On the AMD software installer I...
  4. Safety of Running DISM/SFC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Safety of Running DISM/SFC: Hey,Recently, I was running DISM and SFC in the process of uninstalling and reinstalling a program. On the website, it said that it uses Windows Update Client to gather the files necessary. Is it at all possible that I could get a virus from doing this? I believe it would...
  5. Safety of Running DISM/SFC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safety of Running DISM/SFC: Hey,Recently, I was running DISM and SFC in the process of uninstalling and reinstalling a program. On the website, it said that it uses Windows Update Client to gather the files necessary. Is it at all possible that I could get a virus from doing this? I believe it would...
  6. Safety of Running DISM/SFC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. DISM and SFC cannot run

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DISM and SFC cannot run: Good evening to the microsoft team.A week ago, i accidentally deleted the trustedinstaller files which is windowsapp. Due to that, i cant open most of the apps. It was my bad. However, after i reset the laptop, everything comes back to normal except for malfunction DISM and...
  8. Difficulty running Dism commands

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Difficulty running Dism commands: I searched for it online and found out to perform SFC /scannow via a command prompt I did that as well see screenshot [img] Issue with Windows 10 update stuck on Version 1809 (error 0x80240034)-sfc-scannow.png I got this "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files...
  9. Difficulty running Dism commands

in Windows 10 Support
    Difficulty running Dism commands: I searched for it online and found out to perform SFC /scannow via a command prompt I did that as well see screenshot [img] Issue with Windows 10 update stuck on Version 1809 (error 0x80240034)-sfc-scannow.png I got this "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files...
  10. SFC and DISM will not run on build 14279

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC and DISM will not run on build 14279: Just installed the Insider upgrade to 14279.rs1-release_160229-1700 today. Tried to run SFC/ scannow from CMD prompt (admin) and it won't run. Also tried to run DISM restore health and it would not run. Used CMD prompt (admin) and KYHI Image utilities both failed. maybe it's...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. batch file to run sfc and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

2. diifrnce btween DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow

3. dism useful commands