Windows 10: Running windows 10 On Older Machines

Discus and support Running windows 10 On Older Machines in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; O.k.......I am running Windows 10 on a seven years old Dell Inspiron 1545, it works fine apart from one problem.......after clicking on desktop icon it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Del 80, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Del 80 Win User

Running windows 10 On Older Machines

O.k.......I am running Windows 10 on a seven years old Dell Inspiron 1545, it works fine apart from one problem.......after clicking on desktop icon it can take up to 25 seconds to load a web page.......not all the time, and not all web pages.......Facebook for instance is very slow to load....... without being too technical, anyone got any tips to speed this up a bit, or could it be that the machine really is too old ?..............Del.

:)

Del 80, Mar 24, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Mar 24, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Mar 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, to clarify, are you describing a situation where you already have your browser open, or are you including the time to load and launch your browser?

Certainly on my 6 year old laptop with Win 10 x64, starting Firefox from scratch was slow- and that was with a 7200rpm HDD.

dalchina, Mar 24, 2016
  5. Del 80 Win User
    If I click on a desktop icon.......say Facebook......the spinning circle appears in the top left corner, next to the word ''loading''..........it spins BACKWORDS for about 15 to 20 seconds.....then spins clockwise for maybe another 5 or 10 seconds, before loading the page..........so in answer to the question, no, the browser is not open at the outset.........I had a similar problem years ago, with Vista, but didn't expect it with Windows 10.............Del.

Del 80, Mar 24, 2016
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    Which browser, Del?

Is the browser up-to-date?

Have you any Extensions like ABP loaded?

Do you need to connect through a proxy server? - If not - In Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections, LAN settings, make sure that the Automatically detect settings is not checked. - If so, is the address of the proxy server in the box in the lower part of this property sheet set correctly?

Do lots of ads and panels with videos automatically open once the page is fully loaded?

Fafhrd, Mar 25, 2016
  7. Del 80 Win User
    O,k.......Thanks for that, I was just going through your suggestions, when someone said to try the Edge browser.......mine was set to Google Chrome as default........tried it, and this thing is really flying, no spinning circle, no lag or anything........I guess that sort of solves the problem, but I wonder why Chrome is so slow? .....anyway thanks for the help............Del.

Del 80, Mar 25, 2016
  8. Del 80 Win User

I have to say that I do like the Edge browser.......it is so fast, even on this old machine.......just one thing, how DO you get rid of all those ads. and panels ?...........Del.

Del 80, Mar 25, 2016
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    Chrome browser is often lagged by a setting in the traditional Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections tab, LAN Settings, and uncheck Automatically detect settings
    There's a rule on this forum that says you cannot discuss Ad Blocking, so I'll PM you, Del - if you don't get a PM reply here, there may be a problem on the forum messaging facility

Fafhrd, Mar 25, 2016
  10. Del 80 Win User
    O.k Chris, Thanks for that, looking into it........when I say ''Ads'' they all seem to be suggestions from Windows 10, that point to other pages and apps.....for instance ''motoring''.....''entertainment''........''news''........''weather'' and so on........can these be removed ? on Chrome there is nothing like that at all......just the search bar...........Del.

Del 80, Mar 25, 2016
  11. Fafhrd Win User
    Send a link to the page, and a screenshot, and I'll see if I can see what you mean - did you get a PM, or is there a problem with messaging today?

Fafhrd, Mar 25, 2016
  12. Del 80 Win User
    I have problems sending screenshots.........but here goes............

Del 80, Mar 25, 2016
  13. Del 80 Win User

There is an option to customize, but all that does is move things to the top........there seems to be no option to delete things.....with regard to the screenshot, I used to struggle with Macrium, but that built in snipping tool is very handy.....Del.

Del 80, Mar 25, 2016
  14. Fafhrd Win User
    Yes, that's the Edge start page, courtesy of MSN - customised for the UK - with the sublety of the Daily Star *Wink

for Screenshots, press

*Start+prtscr together to take a screenshot

in the reply box of Tenforums go to the insert image icon (a tree in a square frame), From computer tab, Choose files button, and browse to Pictures, Screenshots and select your latest screenshot, and then Upload file(s) button:

To change Edge start screen:

Running windows 10 On Older Machines [​IMG]

click on the more button - the 3 dots ... near the top right of Edge, below the x, and go to the bottom and click settings as in the screenshot and the next menu should be like this:

Running windows 10 On Older Machines [​IMG]

click on the Open with A specific page or pages instead of Start page (you can open several favourite pages at start-up) and choose a web address if you don't want to see Gary Lineker's face (I don't see the joke, or the need to apologise, BTW - I worry about our defence too. I see the double meaning, but he's hardly an active footballer any more is he?)

Hope this helps.

Fafhrd, Mar 25, 2016
  15. Del 80 Win User
    Excellent !!......Thank You.......did what you said, option comes up ''open with blank page ''........clicked on it, Gary Lineker, and everything else has gone............Thanks again............Del.

Del 80, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Running windows 10 On Older Machines - Similar Threads - Running Older Machines

2. Hyper-V on Windows 11: Mouse Vertically Inverted in Virtual Machines Running Older Versions...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V on Windows 11: Mouse Vertically Inverted in Virtual Machines Running Older Versions...: As the title suggests, the mouse movement both using an external mouse and trackpad is vertically inverted in machines running versions of windows older than Windows 10. Is there any fix for this? I've tried to uninstall and reinstall mouse drivers in the guest OS and...
  3. Hyper-V on Windows 11: Mouse Vertically Inverted in Virtual Machines Running Older Versions...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V on Windows 11: Mouse Vertically Inverted in Virtual Machines Running Older Versions...: As the title suggests, the mouse movement both using an external mouse and trackpad is vertically inverted in machines running versions of windows older than Windows 10. Is there any fix for this? I've tried to uninstall and reinstall mouse drivers in the guest OS and...
  4. will my older programs 2014 and earlier run on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    will my older programs 2014 and earlier run on windows 10?: Will my older programs run on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-my-older-programs-2014-and-earlier-run-on/66781b6c-1df0-439d-b11c-1788c0b70051
  5. Can't install on an older machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install on an older machine: I'm trying to install Windows 10 on a P4HT (dual-core 64bit) IBM. I have tried flashing the ISO to a USB stick, copying the ISO onto a Ventoy USB stick and doing the first part of the install on another machine. Doing either of the USB methods I get a black screen with a...
  6. Need help with windows 10 install on older machine.

Need help with windows 10 install on older machine.: I’m trying to get windows 10 64bit installed on a pretty old system. I’m able to get the 32bit version running fine but when I try to install the 64bit it doesn’t get passed the bios boot screen. This was an old video editing system so the specs were solid for its time. Dual...
  7. Running Linux with a virtual machine inside Windows 10 machine

Running Linux with a virtual machine inside Windows 10 machine: Hi and question: If I run a virtual machine inside my windows 10 machine, does all the telemetry, keystroke logging, etc. still happen while inside the VM? Example: If I run Linux Mint in a VM with Windows 10 as the host computer, does Windows (Microsoft) get all the...
  8. 20H2 on older machine

in Windows 10 Support
    20H2 on older machine: All three of my computers are about 10-11 yrs old. All are running 1909 flawlessly. None have been offered 2004 or 20H2 in updates except one was offered transiently so I decided to test with an old ASUS K53 laptop that is basically stock except for SATA SSD and 8 GB ram....
  9. Running a game for an older version of windows in windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Running a game for an older version of windows in windows 10: Hi, as you can probably guess, I'm attempting to run a game that was meant to be played on XP SP3, Vista SP2 and/or Windows 7 on windows 10. Its an install from CD game and I can't figure out how to do it. Any suggestions? The game is Star Wars: Empire at War - Gold Pack if...
  10. Anniversary fails on older machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary fails on older machine: Twice I have been notified of awaiting update and to restart. The update is the Anniversary version. After over an hour of time, the computer will fail to boot and after fiddling you are notified you must restart to return to the previous version. That restart took me over an...