Windows 10: Running Windows 10 Pro On USB HDD?

Discus and support Running Windows 10 Pro On USB HDD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I hate to be creating a thread about this, but I know this community has many I.T experts! I'm running Windows 10 Pro 32bit on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NiceAndShy, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Running Windows 10 Pro On USB HDD?

Hi everyone,

I hate to be creating a thread about this, but I know this community has many I.T experts!

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 32bit on my laptop, but I need to remove the laptop's HDD and so the laptop will be without a HDD.

Could I plug in a USB HDD and run Windows 10 Pro 32 bit like this?

The laptop only has USB 2.0 ports.

Thanks!

:)

NiceAndShy, Apr 28, 2017
  2. genezonis Win User

Windows 10 pro

I purchased windows 10 pro on a USB drive.

It comes with windows 10 and windows 10 pro

When I ran setup and went through all the updated etc. it wants to install windows 10 home.

I am already running windows 10 home on my computer.

How do Iget to the pro version?

genezonis, Apr 28, 2017
  3. diruopis Win User
    Password Protect for USB port.

Original Title: Passord Protect USB port

How can I password protect my USB ports? I'm running Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks!

diruopis, Apr 28, 2017
  4. Running Windows 10 Pro On USB HDD?

alphanumeric, Apr 28, 2017
  5. I forgot to say that the laptop also has an E-Sata and Firewire port.

NiceAndShy, Apr 28, 2017
  6. Thanks, but I also wanted to know how Windows 10 Pro would run in terms of speed on a USB 2.0 HDD?

NiceAndShy, Apr 28, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Apr 28, 2017
  8. Running Windows 10 Pro On USB HDD?

Thanks, but the USB HDD I want to use is only 4800RPM... Would Windows 10 Pro 32bit be usable with this?

I've got USB flash drives but the biggest capacity I have is only 16GB...

I could buy a 32GB USB flash drive, but would this be enough to install Windows 10 Pro 32bit on?

NiceAndShy, Apr 28, 2017
  9. I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise WTG from a 5400 RPM Laptop IDE drive in a USB 2 enclosure. It's slow. Patience is required, lol. It's not something I would want to run as my daily driver.

10. But is Windows 10 usable on an external USB 2.0 HDD???

Thanks!

NiceAndShy, Apr 28, 2017
  11. Yes, it was "usable" for me. Windows open slow though, lots of pauses after launching Apps or Programs. Slow to boot up too.

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm sure this is going to be a silly question.... Why not install a different hand drive in the laptop.

NavyLCDR, Apr 28, 2017
  13. Running Windows 10 Pro On USB HDD?

I would, but I don't have another 2.5inch HDD with me.

NiceAndShy, May 4, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well....look at this way. Will probably take you about an hour to set up Windows 10 Pro to run the USB hard drive and try it. If it doesn't work well enough for you then what have you lost? 1 hour of your time.

NavyLCDR, May 4, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    A 32 GB is easily big enough to run windows - After all plenty of 32 GB tablets. Buy a fast usb3 drive though even if using on usb2, It will be a bit slow but not excessively so.

cereberus, May 4, 2017
Thema:

Running Windows 10 Pro On USB HDD?

1. Running Windows 10 Pro On USB HDD? - Similar Threads - Running Pro USB

2. Windows 10 Pro - ReactivationNew HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro - ReactivationNew HDD: Hello, I have recently upgraded my computer fully, with new motherboard and everything.. This new Computer also came with a pre-installed Hard Drive which already contained a Windows but not activated. I am now using this new computer and new HDD which it came with, but I...
  3. Windows 10 Pro - ReactivationNew HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro - ReactivationNew HDD: Hello, I have recently upgraded my computer fully, with new motherboard and everything.. This new Computer also came with a pre-installed Hard Drive which already contained a Windows but not activated. I am now using this new computer and new HDD which it came with, but I...
  4. Windows 10 Pro - ReactivationNew HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB HDD: Hello,I have a small problem.I have recently upgraded my laptop from an HDD to a SSD, and everything is fine with Win 10.I have installed the old HDD in a USB3.0 caddy, here is the odd thing!If I plug the caddy into the laptop USB port the laptop sees the HDD straight away...
  6. USB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB HDD: Hello,I have had 2 USB HDD 1, 2TB and 1 4TB plus 2 Micro SD card give me the Access Denied and this after using them to store thing it just all sudden.It is not the device because it you format it works just fine and if I put it SD card back in the camera works find but in my...
  7. replacing a windows 10 home HDD with a windows 10 Pro HDD

replacing a windows 10 home HDD with a windows 10 Pro HDD: I have a new Lenovo laptop with windows 10 pro installed which I have personalized and been using over the last month. However, I need to trade/replace this computer for almost the same exact laptop different screen resolution, different cpu, however the HDD has windows 10...
  8. Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro to a new hdd with Home version install USB

Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro to a new hdd with Home version install USB: Hello, I have a Dell XPS 8700 that came with Windows 8.1 Pro, I upgraded to Windows 10 with the free upgrade. The original hard drive is dying so I'm going to replace it with a SSD. My question is, since the XPS' version is Windows 10 Pro, can I use an Windows 10 Home...
  9. Windows 10 on external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 on external USB HDD: is it possible to put windows 10 on an external USB HDD? if so, how? if not, bummer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-on-external-usb-hdd/9c115056-c5dc-4836-b9c8-0b604f83159a
  10. Sharing A HDD In Windows 10 PRO

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing A HDD In Windows 10 PRO: I have Windows 10 Pro and I want to share a hard drive across my private network. I go to the drive, click properties, sharing, advanced sharing, share this folder, permissions, everyone, full control (at this point they can see the shared drive and open it up, but get an...