Windows 10: Runtime Broker Process

Discus and support Runtime Broker Process in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Periodically I notice a lot of LAN traffic from my PC and looking at Task Mgr I see it is from Runtime Broker that uses 30% CPU. I've looked at what it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by linw, Jul 6, 2015.

1. linw Win User

Runtime Broker Process

Periodically I notice a lot of LAN traffic from my PC and looking at Task Mgr I see it is from Runtime Broker that uses 30% CPU. I've looked at what it is for (intermediary between apps and their use of permissions) but the mystery is that it is accessing my NAS device and goes on for ages as the NAS has a lot of files on it.

Anyone else seen this behaviour? I find it hard to see why it has to hammer my NAS periodically but maybe this is normal??

:)

linw, Jul 6, 2015

2. I upgraded and it keeps using more and more memory, my disk usage is 100% live tiles do not workRuntime Broker.

Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

Runtime Broker is a Windows process in Task Manager that helps manage permissions on your PC for apps from Windows Store. It should only use a few megabytes of memory, but in some cases, a faulty app might cause Runtime Broker to use up to a gigabyte of
    RAM or more.

If your RAM use is high and your PC is running slowly, an app may be the cause of the problem. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager and then, on the
    Processes tab, check to see how much memory Runtime Broker is using. If it’s using more than 15% of your memory, you probably have an issue with an app on your PC. To stop Runtime Broker from using so much memory, select
    Runtime Broker in the list, select End task to close Runtime Broker, and then restart your computer.

Thank You.

Uttam Yadav, Jul 6, 2015
  3. Runtimebroker.exe high cpu

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

Runtime Broker is a Windows process in Task Manager that helps manage permissions on your PC for apps from Windows Store. It should only use a few megabytes of memory, but in some cases, a faulty app might cause Runtime Broker to use up to a gigabyte of
    RAM or more.

If your RAM use is high and your PC is running slowly, an app may be the cause of the problem. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager and then, on the
    Processes tab, check to see how much memory Runtime Broker is using. If it’s using more than 15% of your memory, you probably have an issue with an app on your PC. To stop Runtime Broker from using so much memory, select
    Runtime Broker in the list, select End task to close Runtime Broker, and then restart your computer.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jul 6, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Runtime Broker Process

As you can see from this article:

What is RuntimeBroker.exe and Why is it Running?

Runtime broker is part of the security subsystem of Universal Apps (then called Metro apps). Essentially, all access to files and other resources goes through the Runtime broker.. so what this means is that it's only accessing files on the behalf of another Universal app. This is probably something like the Photos app or something that searches through indexed files and catalogs them, or indexes them.

You should use something like FileMonitor to see what it's actually accessing if you're interested.

Mystere, Jul 6, 2015
  5. linw Win User
    OK, it will be accessing thousands of photos.

Thanks for the explaining the link between an app and the files it has access to.

linw, Jul 6, 2015
  6. Antilope Win User
    Runtime Broker kept thrashing my system, usually using 40% of my CPU although memory use wasn't much, according to the Task Manager. I'm currently using Windows 10 Pro x64 version 10240.

Runtime Broker is a service called Time Broker, which can be disabled through editing the registry.
    Right-click on the Start Menu Icon. Go to RUN and type regedit.exe and select OK.

Find the following entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker] "Start"=dword:00000003

Change the 3 to a 4.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker] "Start"=dword:00000004

4 is Disabled, 3 is Manual and 2 is Automatic startup.

Before editing, the original value was 3. Set to 4 to disable. Just change the 3 to a 4 through the MODIFY menu selection, exit regedit and reboot your system.

After this edit, Runtime Broker no longer runs and the CPU at idle is now only 0 to 1 or 2 percent.

No adverse affects after disabling Runtime Broker on my system. (ADDITIONAL NOTE: Disabling Runtime Broker will prevent apps from the Microsoft Store from running.)

Antilope, Jul 25, 2015
  7. It is not like setting it to Disabled will prevent it from running.

TairikuOkami, Jul 25, 2015
  8. linw Win User

Runtime Broker Process

Runtime Broker was also causing heaps of eventid 10016 DCOM errors in my four comps. Problem was a Trusted Installer permissions one in the Registry. Got a fix for this, though, so these have disappeared.

9. JoeShades Win User
    i am having problems with runtime broker on windows 10 , keeps eating up more and more memory

JoeShades, Jul 28, 2015
  10. tracerman Win User
    I created this account so I can share the answer to the riddle.

http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-uses-your-bandwidth-to-distribute-updates-d-1721091469

• Search for “Check for updates” in the Start menu.
    • Under “Windows Update” choose “Advanced options.”
    • Under “Choose how updates are installed” click “Choose how updates are delivered.”
    • Disable the toggle under “Updated from more than one place.”

It's been sharing updates with the world, using a lot of resources. It was using 40%+ on my brand new dell xps 13 i7.

Switched it off and bam.

Edit: It worked initially for me then I launched a twitch app and it went back.

tracerman, Jul 30, 2015
  11. JoeShades Win User
    Runtime broker no longer an issue, any ideas about getting live tiles to work? they stopped working when i upgraded and i have tried getting help from microsoft but they are useless

JoeShades, Jul 30, 2015
  12. shinitaru Win User
    This worked for me too. I noticed that the process was getting a lot of activity but wasn't sure if it was the culprit. Thanks!

shinitaru, Aug 2, 2015
  13. MajorTom Win User

Runtime Broker Process

Funny Thing!
    I did it too on my x64 machine, but after re-booting, had an "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" error on boot !?!?!?
    It repaired itself automatically.
    Took about 20 min.
    I hadn't made any other changes before that.
    After that it was still set to 4.
    Any clue what might have happened?

MajorTom, Aug 10, 2015
  14. MajorTom Win User
    I did the registry tweak and my PC stated acting weird & hanging sometimes.
    I set it back for now.
    I really don't know if it was that or just Windows 10 flakeyness.

MajorTom, Aug 10, 2015
  15. shinitaru Win User
    I performed the registry tweak on mine about a week ago. I've had no trouble with it at all. As far as I can tell, the only thing that has changed is the CPU load and temperature. Which was what I was hoping for.

Runtime Broker Process [​IMG]

Runtime Broker Process [​IMG]

shinitaru, Aug 10, 2015
Thema:

Runtime Broker Process

1. Runtime Broker Process - Similar Threads - Runtime Broker Process

2. Runtime Broker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Runtime Broker: how can i stop the Runtime Broker from being on Task Bar.i have around 4 to 5 Runtime Broker.i end the process , again it comes back.Please any idea. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/runtime-broker/8fe62d65-3022-44d9-b8f7-ee30e686ca3e
  3. runtime broker

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    runtime broker: Hello there , I disabled the runtime broker from the registry but still there are 3 processes running, rebooted also. note: I'm not use any windows apps and already disabled notifications and the "get tips from windows..." [ATTACH]...
  4. Runtime Broker

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Runtime Broker: Hey everyone, I don’t really need help just was curious. I saw 3-4 runtime broker processes running in my task manager and wanted to know if that’s typical. They use a very small amount of ram and I’ve done some googling and know what the process does but can’t find anything...
  5. Runtime Broker

in Cortana
    Runtime Broker: Hey! I've been having trouble running games recently. In this case, I've been trying to run Apex Legends and it runs fine until it freezes and I'm forced to hard reboot my pc. I've checked Reliability History and this it what it shows: Source Runtime Broker Summary...
  6. Runtime broker

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Runtime broker: [IMG]Hi, I've got two questions regarding the runtime broker. 1. When I was starting my laptop, a notification about runtime broker appeared. It said that the group or resource is not in the correct stare to perform an operstion. What could that mean? This is first time I...
  7. runtime broker

in Windows 10 Customization
    runtime broker: Windows defender keeps blocking something in drive c:...\runtimer broker.exe\trying to change something in %userprofile%\pictures I'm getting 40 plus notifications a day https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/runtime-broker/53b556fe-9bf6-48aa-a73c-de5932fe380f
  8. Runtime broker !

in Windows 10 Customization
    Runtime broker !: For quite a few weeks now I seem to be getting this message fairly frequently when I click on "Setting's" in Windows 10. As anyone got any ideas what is causing it ? RuntimeBroker The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation ! Read...
  9. Runtime Broker

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Runtime Broker: Hi there. My CPU temp kept being elevated. After doing a lot of troubleshooting and also reseating and applying fresh thermal paste, I finally realized that the CPU load was causing a serious problem, and it all pointed to Runtime Broker. When I delete the task, my CPU temp...
  10. runtime broker

in Windows 10 Support
    runtime broker: This keeps using more and more memory, my disk usage is 100%, can someone tell em what this is, how to fix it, please!!!! microsoft forums are useless 9301