Windows 10: runtime broker

Discus and support runtime broker in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This keeps using more and more memory, my disk usage is 100%, can someone tell em what this is, how to fix it, please!!!! microsoft forums are useless... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JoeShades, Jul 28, 2015.

1. JoeShades Win User

runtime broker

This keeps using more and more memory, my disk usage is 100%, can someone tell em what this is, how to fix it, please!!!! microsoft forums are useless

:)

JoeShades, Jul 28, 2015

2. I upgraded and it keeps using more and more memory, my disk usage is 100% live tiles do not workRuntime Broker.

Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

Runtime Broker is a Windows process in Task Manager that helps manage permissions on your PC for apps from Windows Store. It should only use a few megabytes of memory, but in some cases, a faulty app might cause Runtime Broker to use up to a gigabyte of
    RAM or more.

If your RAM use is high and your PC is running slowly, an app may be the cause of the problem. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager and then, on the
    Processes tab, check to see how much memory Runtime Broker is using. If it’s using more than 15% of your memory, you probably have an issue with an app on your PC. To stop Runtime Broker from using so much memory, select
    Runtime Broker in the list, select End task to close Runtime Broker, and then restart your computer.

Thank You.

Uttam Yadav, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Runtimebroker.exe high cpu

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

Runtime Broker is a Windows process in Task Manager that helps manage permissions on your PC for apps from Windows Store. It should only use a few megabytes of memory, but in some cases, a faulty app might cause Runtime Broker to use up to a gigabyte of
    RAM or more.

If your RAM use is high and your PC is running slowly, an app may be the cause of the problem. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager and then, on the
    Processes tab, check to see how much memory Runtime Broker is using. If it’s using more than 15% of your memory, you probably have an issue with an app on your PC. To stop Runtime Broker from using so much memory, select
    Runtime Broker in the list, select End task to close Runtime Broker, and then restart your computer.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jul 28, 2015
  4. JoeShades Win User

runtime broker

Please someone help !!!!

JoeShades, Jul 28, 2015
  5. Here's a temporary fix I made myself. Note that while I have yet to find any consequences I'm sure there's some, however it fixes the current issue.

EDIT: The method below eventually disables the start menu from opening. As I stated I knew it would cause issues, so I do not recommend it but will leave it for the curious.
    1. Go to C:\Windows\System32\
    2. Find RuntimeBroker.exe then right click and go to Properties.
    3. From there select the Security tab then click Advanced.
    4. At the top where it shows Owner (TrustedInstaller) click Change.
    5. In the window that pops up type in your full user name with spaces then click Check Names.
    6. If an error pops up you typed your user name wrong, if not press OK then OK again on the Advanced Security Settings for RuntimeBroker window.
    7. Now you should be back at the RuntimeBroker Properties window, again click the Advanced button to reopen the Advanced Security window.
    8. There will be around five items in the list on this window. One by one double click them and remove the check mark next to the Read & execute, leaving the others alone (this may automatically unselect some other check boxes, don't worry).
    9. After you have done this to all of them click OK back at the Advanced Security Settings window then OK on the RuntimeBroker Properties window.
    10. Finally go to the task manager and select the RuntimeBroker process and hit End task. Problem solved.

herculeesjr, Jul 29, 2015
  6. JoeShades Win User
    Right now for the pas few hours the problem has stopped but if it comes back i will try that thank you. Can some tell me exactly what this does, searching for it on google it seems thats it is store related

JoeShades, Jul 29, 2015
  7. NUS
    Nus Win User
    Yeah, it manages security permissions for the Windows Store, modern/metro, apps.

Try stopping the store apps from being allowed to run in the background.

Go to: Settings->Privacy->Background Apps

8. JoeShades Win User

runtime broker

I assume this prblem with runtime broker and the fact that live tiles since upgrading do not work is no coincidence. will stopping the store apps from being allowed to run in the background mean i can not ever have live tiles? i would really like those to work

JoeShades, Jul 29, 2015
  9. sergiohs Win User
    With process explorer I discovered that buffer overflow accessing registry keys is the problem

Rename :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\Microsoft.Windows.ContentD eliveryManager_10.0.102

40.16384_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy\ActivatableClassId

to any other name, pe. adding a S to the end of the name.

Problem solved.

sergiohs, Jul 30, 2015
  10. JoeShades Win User
    to any other name, pe. adding a S to the end of the name.

excuse my ignorance but i have no idea what this means, Rename that entire registry entry ?

Is this about the live tiles? as of now no longer having problems with runtime broker

JoeShades, Jul 30, 2015
  11. sergiohs Win User
    Hi,

Yes, search for the key in registry editor ( ActivatableClassId ) and right buttom / rename to ( ActivatableClassIdS ) , the runtime broker stops its activity just after the change (tested in two machines)

sergiohs, Jul 30, 2015
  12. JoeShades Win User
    Ok got it but i am no longer having problems with the runtime broker, my live tiles won't work

JoeShades, Jul 30, 2015
  13. sergiohs Win User

runtime broker

If yoy did that thing Nus suggested ("Try stopping the store apps from being allowed to run in the background. Go to: Settings->Privacy->Background Apps ) , then after the change in the registry I suggested you can Undo that Settings->Privacy->Background Apps change and Live tiles will work again.

If not and there is another problem I dont't know the solution *Wink

sergiohs, Jul 30, 2015
  14. mrharrod Win User
    Just turn off 'Show me tips about windows'

Setting - System - Notifications and actions

My CPU usage dropped immediately from 30% to 0%

mrharrod, Aug 1, 2015
  15. JoeShades Win User
    Whatever the problem was it stopped. I think other people had the problem and microsoft sent an update

JoeShades, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

runtime broker

1. runtime broker - Similar Threads - runtime broker

2. Runtime Broker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Runtime Broker: how can i stop the Runtime Broker from being on Task Bar.i have around 4 to 5 Runtime Broker.i end the process , again it comes back.Please any idea. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/runtime-broker/8fe62d65-3022-44d9-b8f7-ee30e686ca3e
  3. Runtime Broker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Runtime Broker: how can i stop the Runtime Broker from being on Task Bar.i have around 4 to 5 Runtime Broker.i end the process , again it comes back.Please any idea. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/runtime-broker/8fe62d65-3022-44d9-b8f7-ee30e686ca3e
  4. Runtime Broker

in Cortana
  5. Runtime broker stopped working fresh installs of windows 10 4 times in 3 days

in Cortana
    Runtime broker stopped working fresh installs of windows 10 4 times in 3 days: DescriptionFaulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exeProblem signatureProblem Event Name: MoAppCrashPackage Full Name: Microsoft.Windows.Search_1.14.8.19041_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewyApplication Name:...
  6. Runtime broker stopped working fresh installs of windows 10 4 times in 3 days

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Runtime broker stopped working fresh installs of windows 10 4 times in 3 days: DescriptionFaulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exeProblem signatureProblem Event Name: MoAppCrashPackage Full Name: Microsoft.Windows.Search_1.14.8.19041_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewyApplication Name:...
  7. Runtime broker stopped working fresh installs of windows 10 4 times in 3 days

8. RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!: Hello, I have a problem related with runtime broker.exeSometimes when I search something throught the Windows search menu, I encounter a lag before writing the next letterAfter that, in reliability monitor, an error related to runtime broker...
  9. RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!

RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!: Hello, I have a problem related with runtime broker.exeSometimes when I search something throught the Windows search menu, I encounter a lag before writing the next letterAfter that, in reliability monitor, an error related to runtime broker...
  10. RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging