Windows 10: Rural Broadband Solution advice

Discus and support Rural Broadband Solution advice in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all I live in a very rural location where my BB speed has recently been upgraded to 0.9Mb. I also have poor 4G mobile signal strength and so I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by UKMedia, Oct 17, 2015.

1. UKMedia Win User

Rural Broadband Solution advice

Hi all

I live in a very rural location where my BB speed has recently been upgraded to 0.9Mb. I also have poor 4G mobile signal strength and so I'm looking into options. (Moving house may be one of them! *Smile )

My thinking so far is to go for a 4G router connected to a roof mounted external antenna. These are the two products I'm thinking of using and would be interested if anyone else has experience of them?

Huawei E5180 External Antenna:
    Vodafone Wi-Fi Cube 4G Huawei E5180 4G LTE CPE Router External wide band Log Periodic yagi antenna highest gain: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

D-Link 4G LTE Router:
    D-Link 4G LTE Router: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

Specifically, can the D-Link accept an input from an external antenna? (If not, does anyone know of one that can?)

Regards

:)

UKMedia, Oct 17, 2015
  2. PA Bear - MS MVP, Oct 17, 2015
  3. data usage win10 vs win7

I did download the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 Pro in May 2016. Yes, I have had overages every month. The initial download created 3 GB overage from the download. I also use a mobile broadband device for internet access. I live in a rural area. My
    mobile broadband allows 5 GB per month.

Other local rural users use Hughes Net with significantly higher months fees, etc. and data allowances.

John O'Connell, Oct 17, 2015
  4. strollin Win User

I don't know the answer myself but this is from the Amazon page for the D-Link router you linked to:

Question:
    Hi, can the antenna connectors be connected to an external 'M
    ag' antenna ?

In principle yes, however the antenna connections are not static and the system switches between GSM and WIFI as it sees fit - so in short you would never know which output is which
    By Dale B. on 16 July 2015

I connected mine to an external aerial using the two outputs (the two short aerials are easily unscrewed) it worked very well for me
    By David G. on 16 July 2015

The antenna's are screwed on and can be replaced.
    By Steve Savery on 16 July 2015

strollin, Oct 17, 2015
  5. How about a satellite solution?

fracking4oil, Oct 17, 2015
  6. UKMedia Win User
    I have a satellite solution now which gives between 12-24Mb but with a lag of 0.9 sec. *Smile

UKMedia, Oct 17, 2015
  7. UKMedia Win User
    Hi

Yes I saw this but I think this is for the output, rather than the input.

Regards

UKMedia, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Rural Broadband Solution advice - Similar Threads - Rural Broadband Solution

2. Broadband Connectivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broadband Connectivity: Hi. I bought a refurbished computer. The CPU is IntelR CoreTM i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz. I have connected an ethernet cable. I pay a lot of money for very fast broadband. My router has 2.4GHz and 5GHz. With the ethernet cable connection, my computer is only seeing the...
  3. Broadband Connectivity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Broadband Connectivity: Hi. I bought a refurbished computer. The CPU is IntelR CoreTM i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz. I have connected an ethernet cable. I pay a lot of money for very fast broadband. My router has 2.4GHz and 5GHz. With the ethernet cable connection, my computer is only seeing the...
  4. Broadband Connectivity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Rural - Windows update takes too long

Rural - Windows update takes too long: Live rural, surrounded by trees. Hughes net very slow day stream<1000 KB, not MB or GB Poor satellite visibility. Go outside 2 use phone & wyfi. Last Win 10 update took a week! Have wyfi setting: OFF shouldn't that prevent updates? Thought DISABLED update services. Check box...
  6. no broadband on printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    no broadband on printer: My canon printer was working and printing from PC but since installing new router will not accept any jobs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-broadband-on-printer/6e365c03-4456-4bb4-8dd8-63e8649b9d3a
  7. Broadband

Broadband: Broadband is ok in safe mode but slow in normal mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broadband/6745881a-c3b5-4067-8668-268576418f02
  8. Broadband Connection

Broadband Connection: Microsoft have giving me a ref number, put me through to technical department three times each time i was eventually cut off without speaking to anyone. I have made two call back later times and no one has called. So I still have no broadband connection....
  9. Agile Networks and Microsoft to deliver broadband access to rural Ohio

in Windows 10 News
    Agile Networks and Microsoft to deliver broadband access to rural Ohio: Today, Agile Networks, a leading provider of telecommunications solutions, and Microsoft Corp. announced a new agreement to bring broadband internet access to rural areas in Ohio, reaching 110,000 currently unserved people and greatly expanding access in underserved rural...
  10. RTO Wireless & Microsoft to deliver broadband rural New York & Maine

in Windows 10 News
    RTO Wireless & Microsoft to deliver broadband rural New York & Maine: TV white spaces and other new technologies will provide affordable, reliable broadband access to approximately 290,000 people REDMOND, Wash. — July 24, 2018 — On Tuesday, RTO Wireless and Microsoft Corp. announced a new agreement to provide broadband internet access to more...