Windows 10: Safe bandwidth monitoring program?

Discus and support Safe bandwidth monitoring program? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; On my previous computer, I used a bandwidth monitoring program called Networx. However, that computer later developed a crippling problem (the main... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by hbenthow, Jan 18, 2017.

1. hbenthow Win User

Safe bandwidth monitoring program?

On my previous computer, I used a bandwidth monitoring program called Networx. However, that computer later developed a crippling problem (the main hard drive locking up at random, unpredictable intervals). I had the computer tested, and the problem couldn't be identified, except that the hard drive was apparently not the issue. To this day, the issue still hasn't been identified.

I can't rule out Networx as a possible cause, as it apparently installs a driver during installation, and I have read posts here on TenForums that state that this driver may have caused computer crashes. But I need a good bandwidth monitoring program for my new computer that allows me to tell how much bandwidth I have used in a particular time period (my ISP takes three days to update my bandwidth usage information).

It turns out that there is also a portable version of Networx, which I downloaded and ran (on my new computer), before deciding that this was an unwise decision. Now, I'm afraid that even running it might have installed a dangerous driver, even though the program itself didn't have to install. I quickly deleted it, but the damage may have already been done. Is it possible that it did install a driver without my knowledge?

Does anyone know a good, safe bandwidth monitoring program, especially one that doesn't install drivers and hasn't been associated with computer crashes?

:)

hbenthow, Jan 18, 2017
  2. i_mongo Win User

Windows 10 and windows updates

i_mongo, Jan 18, 2017
  3. Help with corrupt driver

Related to Softperfect Bandwidth Monitoring and Usage Reporting tool.

I would simply remove it

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jan 18, 2017
  4. clam1952 Win User

I've been using Networx on two Win10 PC's with no issues whatsoever, however the latest version is no longer free, when updating it converts to a 30 day trial, bit of a sneaky way of doing it IMO, cost $29 per year for a 5PC licence.
    Haven't decided on or if any replacement yet as can monitor usage through router anyway.

clam1952, Jan 18, 2017
  5. hbenthow Win User
    Do you know if the portable version installs any drivers?

hbenthow, Jan 18, 2017
  6. clam1952 Win User
    Depends on how you use it but from here, bit behind on builds but still applies. NetWorx with built-in traffic filttering driver - NetWorx Help

Not the Portable version but curiously on My Win10 pro install which was an upgrade, it carried the WinPcap driver over on my other Win10 PC which came with Win10, it isn't installed both are ignoring local traffic.
    From what I remember if you are not ignoring local lan traffic it doesn't need any driver.
    Pretty much explained here what drivers are used NetWorx with built-in traffic filttering driver - NetWorx Help

clam1952, Jan 18, 2017
  7. hbenthow Win User

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll look into that.
    So, based on what I've read in that thread, it appears the portable version apparently can work with drivers that you install yourself, but doesn't install any itself? Am I interpreting it correctly?

hbenthow, Jan 18, 2017
  8. clam1952 Win User
    Yes the portable version require WinPcap from here WinPcap - Home

clam1952, Jan 19, 2017
  9. hbenthow Win User
    Thank you for the information.

hbenthow, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Safe bandwidth monitoring program? - Similar Threads - Safe bandwidth monitoring

2. Programs Safe to Uninstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs Safe to Uninstall: Hey, I have a Elitebook 840 G5 and I want to know how can I tell if it is safe to uninstall a program. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/programs-safe-to-uninstall/8c8686bf-5f12-48fb-9888-fbef7f947b13
  3. Programs Safe to Uninstall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs Safe to Uninstall: Hey, I have a Elitebook 840 G5 and I want to know how can I tell if it is safe to uninstall a program. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/programs-safe-to-uninstall/8c8686bf-5f12-48fb-9888-fbef7f947b13
  4. Is AppService a safe program?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is AppService a safe program?: Is AppService a to z a virus? I saw the product is microsoft but I trust AppService is a virus, it came from tmp files from system32 but it said not found.[Original Title: AppService]...
  5. Are there any programs that allow you to monitor bandwidth usage of other people on the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are there any programs that allow you to monitor bandwidth usage of other people on the...: Let's say I want to download something and I want to know if someone else is using the same wi-fi or how much bandwidth they are currently using. submitted by /u/I_love_emoji [link] [comments]...
  6. bandwidth

bandwidth: bandwidth speed test not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bandwidth/df4d733a-45d0-4027-806a-f43ea5f4c9a6
  7. bandwidth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    bandwidth: why my bandwidth is not showing up 5ghz even though driver do support. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bandwidth/c4927a5e-257f-439f-a9a4-ba54703b9e7f
  8. Bandwidth

Bandwidth: Why does my windows 10 beats laptop have limited internet even connected to wifi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/bandwidth/760c751b-ca20-47ce-ac40-0e95c9227bde
  9. A tool to monitor CPU and GPU temps and bandwidth.

A tool to monitor CPU and GPU temps and bandwidth.: Hi, can you all recommend me a tool that will help me monitor my CPU and GPU temperature? Previously on 7 I used to use gadgets but I no longer want to use them or they cannot be used with Windows 10 either. I also want to monitor my bandwidth. Can someone please help...
  10. Looking For A Simple Bandwidth Monitor

Looking For A Simple Bandwidth Monitor: comcast as of november is implementing a 1tb monthly cap(bs i know when the average broadband user uses at least 2tb monthly). i have looked at various monitors and they leave a lot not to like. all i want is something that sits in the systray and when i mouse-over the icon i...