Windows 10: Safe Mode and screen resolution

Discus and support Safe Mode and screen resolution in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; If I go into safe mode, it always uses a lower screen resolution (and wrong aspect ratio) than is possible with the basic video driver that is used by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Fafhrd, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Safe Mode and screen resolution

If I go into safe mode, it always uses a lower screen resolution (and wrong aspect ratio) than is possible with the basic video driver that is used by safe mode, and the resolution may be changed back to the optimum manually.

Is there any way to set the screen resolution used by safe mode to default to a certain state?

:)

Fafhrd, Nov 17, 2017
  2. John Sarc Win User

After automatic update, monitor has "input not supported".

To adjust the resolution, you can start your computer up in safe mode.

Let us know if safe mode allows you to adjust the screen.

John Sarc, Nov 17, 2017
  3. screen display

Hi William,

It is important that you have the correct screen display and resolution. We suggest that you perform the following steps to reset the monitor settings:

• Boot your computer in
      safe mode
    • Once in safe mode, right-click the desktop > Screen Resolution.
    • Change the display settings back to the original configuration.
    • Restart your computer.

Feel free to update us on the result.

Rachelle Gra, Nov 17, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

I doubt it. By it's nature, it's "Safe" mode. Only bare essential drivers and such are up and running. It's pretty dirt dumb in that mode.

Unless your monitor has manual controls to adjust resolution.

f14tomcat, Nov 17, 2017
  5. I'm pretty sure you can adjust the screen resolution by up to 1024x768.

RoasterMen, Nov 19, 2017
  6. I believe this is the highest it will go due to not using a driver for it *Smile

kingtez1984, Nov 19, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    There are standard drivers for common video modes in Safe Mode.
    Mine does 1366 x 768 (native) in Safe Mode same as normally used, the only difference is in Display settings where there is no choice of lower resolutions in the drop down box.

Helmut, Nov 20, 2017
  8. Fafhrd Win User

If Safe Mode is invoked, a new configuration key appears in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\

which seems to contain the keys and subkeys that determine the screen resolution - originally in both normal mode and some default mode that seems to be typically 1024x768, although I have only looked at a couple of laptops, so far.

After Safe Mode has been started, another key is created, with the resolution that Safe Mode opens with in subkeys \00 and \00\00.

If the display resolution is changed by right-clicking on the desktop and manually selecting the optimum resolution for the display in safe mode, the values in the \00 and the \00\00 subkeys change to the new applied values

Safe Mode and screen resolution [​IMG]

Of course, this looks stretched and distorted widthways on the screen at this resolution. The best resolution of 1366x768 is available,and when selected I get this:

Safe Mode and screen resolution [​IMG]

Whereas this looks well proportioned

On restarting and selecting F8 safe mode again, the newly selected resolution for safe mode is persistent.

On another old laptop with only the Microsoft generic Basic video driver, I can get 1440x900 on an external monitor in safe mode, and it remains selected for subsequent safe mode sessions.

So I've marked this thread solved. *Smile

Fafhrd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Safe Mode and screen resolution - Similar Threads - Safe Mode screen

2. Windows 11 safe mode resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 safe mode resolution: Hello,last week, I performed clean Windows 11 installation over Windows 10. I installed some basic drivers GPU, chipset and programs Firefox, steam, discord etc.. When I went to safe mode and noticed that it started up in native resolution of my monitor 2560x1440, which is...
  3. Windows 11 safe mode resolution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 safe mode resolution: Hello,last week, I performed clean Windows 11 installation over Windows 10. I installed some basic drivers GPU, chipset and programs Firefox, steam, discord etc.. When I went to safe mode and noticed that it started up in native resolution of my monitor 2560x1440, which is...
  4. Black screen in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen in safe mode.: Hello everyone, I tried to reset my PC thru the settings, and I got the message 'The ProfSvc service failed to sign-in/User profile cannot be loaded' when I tried to log in to my PC after the reset. Then I tried to boot it into safe mode, but I got a black screen. After that,...
  5. Safe mode & screen issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safe mode & screen issues: Hi I have been having an issue with my laptop screen where the top of the page shows at the bottom as well under the black task bar. I tried a few different ways fix this following guides and even wiped the laptop and re-installed windows but nothing worked. It's still...
  6. Can't change display resolution in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change display resolution in Safe Mode: I've just bought a monitor and it says to me "INPUT SIGNAL OUT OF RANGE". One possible solution to this problem is to reboot my laptot in safe mode and change the display resolution to the one suggested by the monitor. But actually, when I do it, I cannot change the display...
  7. Blue screen and no safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen and no safe mode: Good day i was trying to install Avast antivirus and my PC showed the blue screen error and it restarted but saying diagonising then repairing but after its done and reboots it shows the blue screen again. I’ve tried to enter safe mode but it goes back to the blue screen...
  8. Big screen in safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Big screen in safe mode: I loaded up sage mode and everything is big and i cant get out of safe mode. Any help would accepted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/big-screen-in-safe-mode/125e91d7-7d5b-4a6f-b6be-1ec10d33961c
  9. safe mode black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    safe mode black screen: Check your nearby greenback store, craft shop or garden center for little, decorative rocks to scatter on tables. It is apparent that the 104 LED cord on a waist higher shrub will lose the shrub in the midst of the lights. As we move towards a greener environment, the...
  10. safe mode black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    safe mode black screen: so yesterday I noticed that there was some sort of malware file popping up on my pc, so I decided to run msconfig to start the computer in safe mode and run malwarebytes to remove the malware. my computer restarted and the lights on the tower turned on just like normal,...