Windows 10: Safe mode initiating auto repair?

Discus and support Safe mode initiating auto repair? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For the last 9+ months updates are giving me trouble. I keep getting these 0x80073712 errors for any cumulative or .NET updates. The last update I got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TCrowe, Sep 5, 2017.

1. TCrowe Win User

Safe mode initiating auto repair?

For the last 9+ months updates are giving me trouble. I keep getting these 0x80073712 errors for any cumulative or .NET updates. The last update I got on my system was KB4033637. I have tried SFC and DISM which both fail.

Today I decided to try SFC/DISM from safe mode. I was a little concerned because the last time I tried going into safe mode I did not realize my PIN would be disabled and I would need my MS account password, which I did not have. I had it this time however! I did the SHIFT-RESTART and went into troubleshooting/advance/startup and selected option 5. which is Safe Mode w/ Network support. What Windows does instead is puts me through an auto repair! Is that normal? Why would it do that when I specifically told it to boot to safe mode with network support?

After waiting 3+ hours for auto-repair (attempting to repair was spinning and the HD light was sold red but the HD was not doing anything) I reset my system and luckily I got back in.

Any insight why safe mode would do an auto-repair or any other tips on getting past these 0x80073712 errors would be appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

TCrowe, Sep 5, 2017

2. Headphones' Microphone Volume Under the "Levels" Tab Disappeared

When I start my PC in Safe Mode I can't really test the issue because the audio devices are disabled when Safe Mode is initiated.

Ferryn Wendt, Sep 5, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Auto-Enable Problem

I recently installed the windows 10 update but when I go on to the pc it auto enables safe mode. Now when I switch off safe mode in the settings and apply the setting it still doesn't work, it just re-enables safe mode so to put it simply, safe mode won't
    come off. All answers will be appreciated.

Tyler Ainsworth-Clark, Sep 5, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, suggest you start with basics.

1. Check your disk:
    Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and make sure all disks are reported as good.
    If not, do not continue, and post back .

2. Now check your file system:

From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

3. If the above are ok, suggest you consider an
    In-place upgrade repair install
    - which keeps all programs and data and most settings

4. What is your Windows build?
    Windows key + R, winver

dalchina, Sep 5, 2017
  5. TCrowe Win User
    Thanks dalchina!Here is what I have:Got Hard Disk Sentinel (thanks for that, I was using HDD Guardian but really like Sentinel). All drives are good to go. My C: is has "Excellent" Performance & Health. The status of the drive is Perfect.

Ran chkdsk and got the following (hope you don't mind me just pasting the log):

A disk check has been scheduled.Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    1106176 file records processed. File verification completed.
    19923 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

1277062 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...

Cleaning up 925 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 925 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 925 unused security descriptors.

Security descriptor verification completed.
    85444 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    40948392 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
    No further action is required.
    101834751 KB total disk space.
    83674368 KB in 722451 files.
    296236 KB in 85445 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    1221319 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    16642828 KB available on disk.
    4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

It looks like the drive is fine.

The Windows version is 1607 (14393.321)

I have not tried the in-place upgrade repair install. I am honestly a little nervous about it. While I don't have an updated Win10 it does work for the most part. I am considering it and or just reformatting and starting again.Thanks again for the help.

TCrowe, Sep 6, 2017
  6. Gordon7 Win User
    Gordon7, Sep 6, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Cumulative Update KB4039396 Windows 10 v1607 Build 14393.1670 - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums
    KB4033637
    - must have been manually installed it wasn't offered via Windows update. But nothing wrong in that per se.
    Mysterious win update KB4033637 - Windows 10 Forums
    Cumulative Update KB4039396 Windows 10 v1607 Build 14393.1670 - Windows 10 Forums
    #4 on

This suggests a more basic problem, which brings me back to an in-place upgrade repair install.

Now, you have two options.
    1. The in-place upgrade repair install would use the base build of the Anniversary build and take you backwards.
    or
    2. You upgrade manually to the Creator's build.

Note - these are both essentially the same process and would be implemented the same way.

Which do you prefer to do?
    Note that those who have not been offered the Creator's build at this point have possibly not received it because MS thinks it might be problematic for your PC (e.g. known conflicting hardware).

You can follow an almost perfectly safe procedure if before doing either, you create (or update) a disk image.
    We strongly and repeatedly recommend disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + large external storage, as it lets you recover quite quickly without technical help even if your disk fails and provides a backup for Windows/all partitions/disks imaged.

dalchina, Sep 6, 2017
  8. TCrowe Win User

I got it on 8/29/17.

TCrowe, Sep 7, 2017
  9. TCrowe Win User
    There are two updates MS is trying to push right now; .NET Framework 4.7 (KB3186568) and Cumulative Update (KB4034658). Both of these fail.

I wonder if doing the the in-place install would not be better. Get a "cleaner" copy of the Anniversary Edition and let MS naturally just update, if it can, to CU? My 3rd option is nuke it from orbit and use mediacreation toolkit and reformat.

If MS can not upgrade to CU because of some hardware conflict is it OK to assume it would notify me and at least put something on that is compatible?

TCrowe, Sep 7, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    If you wish to do an anniversary build in-place repair install and don't already have an iso or bootable medium, then you will need to download an iso for that build.

You can via Techbench (see the downloader in #3
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums
    - choose and check the correct one..

or
    Microsoft Windows 10 Anniversary Update 1607 Download (Build 14393.0)

Your iso must match the base language of your current installation
    See Default System Language of Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    See Full Details about a Windows 10 ISO file Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

The most MS will do is keep you on the anniversary edition until they think you can upgrade, if indeed that's what's happening.

The way to move forward is to
    a. image what yuo have (which you are advised to do routinely anyway)
    b. download a Creator's build iso
    Try the upgrade.

If it works, fine, if not, either revert using the MS feature to do so in Windows, and at worst, restore the image you've created.

To create a Windows image using Macrium Reflect, e.g. click Backup, Windows Backup - the relevant partitions should be selected.

Make sure you have some 500Mb at least unallocated space, and more than 20Gb free on C:
    Disable your AV if any and disconnect unneeded peripherals.

dalchina, Sep 7, 2017
  11. TCrowe Win User
    Thanks dalchina, going to mark this thread as solved because the ball is in my court. I just need to work up the courage to try it.

TCrowe, Sep 7, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Not too much courage needed if you use disk imaging... *Biggrin

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Safe mode initiating auto repair? - Similar Threads - Safe mode initiating

2. Can get in safe mode or automatic repair.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can get in safe mode or automatic repair.: Hi So my problem is that I have this blue screen and I tried to fix it by going to the safe mode but I don't know why it's not letting me get in. The automatic repair will not appear and I've tried with pressing the power button 3 times but the automatic repair never appears....
  3. Can get in safe mode or automatic repair.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can get in safe mode or automatic repair.: Hi So my problem is that I have this blue screen and I tried to fix it by going to the safe mode but I don't know why it's not letting me get in. The automatic repair will not appear and I've tried with pressing the power button 3 times but the automatic repair never appears....
  4. Can get in safe mode or automatic repair.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. need to repair/restore Win10 in safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need to repair/restore Win10 in safe mode: My laptop will only boot to safe mode - and I've been able to start it with Network capibility. It doesn't have a CD but I downloaded a copy of Windows to a Thumb Drive. Logging into the Bios F12 Boot Options and F2 - Ive not been able to find out how to change the boot...
  6. In the auto repair loop, can't get into safe mood

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    In the auto repair loop, can't get into safe mood: My Lenovo laptop was fine this afternoon, but after an error of MS office popped up, I decided to restart to see if it could solve the problem. However, it was then trapped in the automatic repair loop. I tried many methods, such as 1) chkdsk /f /r C: (it said found no...
  7. Auto Repair Mode Loop with no Admin account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Auto Repair Mode Loop with no Admin account: I recently restored my laptop to a restore point from last week to reset settings. That process worked fine but when I turned my laptop on this morning, it began to boot into Recovery Mode. I tried to run cmd as well as the other advanced settings but could not because I...
  8. Auto start applications on safe mode startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Auto start applications on safe mode startup: Can a 3rd party program be set up to auto start when Windows is booted into safe mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-start-applications-on-safe-mode-startup/804fb972-18b5-450c-90f7-152083076d91
  9. Windows 10 stuck on welcome. Cannot start in safe mode. Auto repair with install disk will...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 stuck on welcome. Cannot start in safe mode. Auto repair with install disk will...: I am stuck on the welcome screen and have tried. Start in safe by holding down shift and clicking restart, just goes to the welcome. Using repair option from downloaded ISO install, "startup repair couldn't repair your PC". Dell backup and recovery did not work. I have tried...
  10. How to get to Safe Mode when I'm having that Auto Repair loop problem?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get to Safe Mode when I'm having that Auto Repair loop problem?: Obviously I can't click on anything or type anything because the loop is constant. I've been reading forums etc for the past couple of days for a fix for this Automatic Repair loop..nothing that would help and I notice many others the past year also never found a solution....