Windows 10: Safe Mode: USB mouse won't work

Discus and support Safe Mode: USB mouse won't work in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Folks, This should be simple... I can boot into Safe Mode. That's cool. Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums Unfortunately, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by iamc3k, Jul 18, 2016.

1. iamc3k Win User

Safe Mode: USB mouse won't work

Folks,

This should be simple...

I can boot into Safe Mode. That's cool. Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums

Unfortunately, I cannot use my USB mouse. I can use it in BIOS, but not in Safe Mode. It is attached to a motherboard USB header, directly, just like the keyboard. The keyboard IS usable in Safe Mode, so at least the USB drivers seem to be loading. (USB keyboard, if I have not made that clear.)

The keyboard is a Logitech G110. In Safe Mode some of its functions (lit keys, for example) don't work. However, tab, control, the Windows key, etc., all work. Good enough.

The mouse, a Logitech MX518, does not work. That makes it extremely hard for a non-expert user to get around windows. (Oh, it was a LOT of fun when I used the msconfig technique to boot into Safe Mode. THAT took quite a bit of fun to discover that Win-R would bring up the run window so I could tab along to deselect Safe Mode. LOL... Like I said, a "non-expert".)

Is there any way to load mouse usb drivers in Safe Mode?

Edited to add: I have a second machine, call it "B". In Safe Mode, its Logitech (G5) USB mouse works. Where/how do I find the settings in "A" which will make it work like "B"??? Is this a BIOS function or a Win10 function?

Thanks,
    Ken

Edited to correct the "B" machine mouse.

:)

iamc3k, Jul 18, 2016

2. keyboard and mouse will not work

worked fine yesterday. upgraded to win 10 without any problems, now no keyboard or mouse. It is like all USB ports are dead, tried old fashioned wired keyboard and mouse, won't work either. Can't get to MSCONFIG, safe mode or anything without a mouse.
    HELP

unhappywin10, Jul 18, 2016
  3. Windows 10 won't repair itself, stuck in loop, cant use keyboard or mouse. Usb methods not working

Windows 10 updated last night, and now it won't boot. It comes to the keyboard layout screen, and my computers mouse or keyboard won't work on it. I tryed a recovery USB, and a Instalation disk of win10 but either didnt work. Niether one would even give
    me the option to go into safe mode. What on earth is going on?

phenomenalvp, Jul 18, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Make sure both the mouse and keyboard are plugged into black USB 2.0 ports and not blue USB 3.0 ports.

NavyLCDR, Jul 18, 2016
  5. iamc3k Win User
    Thanks. Already double-checked. It's a Gigabyte Z170 UD5 mobo. The topmost usb ports (next to the ps/2 port) are listed as USB 2.0/1.1 ports. There are three 3.0s and one 3.1 port. The mouse and keyboard have always been installed in the USB2.0/1.1 ports.

Ken

iamc3k, Jul 18, 2016
  6. iamc3k Win User
    This is still not working.

I performed an in-place repair install of Win10, just to make sure I didn't have anything amiss with my install. Even if I use the keyboard's USB port, in safe mode the USB mouse is STILL not recognized. (I've tried different mice: they all work normally in "normal" Win10.)

Any ideas?

Ken

iamc3k, Jul 19, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Do you have Legacy mode for USB in BIOS ?

CountMike, Jul 20, 2016
  8. iamc3k Win User

CountMike,

Thanks for look-see. Yeah, I do. It has been "enabled", (Gigabyte Z170X UD5 mobo, BIOS version F5). I tried to disable it, then rebooted into normal Windows 10, then went into Safe Mode...no change. I have since set it back to "enabled".

I'm eager to keep trying...

I bought a new USB mouse...no change
    I've downloaded every single driver from the Gigabyte mobo website and loaded/installed all of them...no change.
    I performed a Win10 repair install...no change. (Every diagnostic has shown that my OS is fine.)

Is this a mobo hardware failure? Here's an image:

Safe Mode: USB mouse won't work [​IMG]

There's an "Unknown Device" listed. That's new since I started troubleshooting this issue. I don't know what it is. If I disable it, there's no change. My mouse and keyboard are identified and work wonderfully in Win10, Normal.

The safe mode behavior is odd.

Thanks,
    Ken

iamc3k, Jul 20, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    If it was MB failure it wouldn't work in normal mode either. If it was because of USB ports, KB wouldn't work either. In safe mode only basic drivers work. Can you find some ordinary, cheap mouse to try with ?
    Just seen that picture, did you check under "Mice and other pointing devices" ?

CountMike, Jul 20, 2016
  10. iamc3k Win User
    CountMike,

Thanks for the look back.

Here's an expanded image, showing Mice and other pointing devices and USB devices (2 separate entries):

As you can see, under USB devices, both the keyboard and the mouse are named (and they're correct). Under Mice and other pointing devices, it just shows HID-compliant...twice.

Here are the two HID-compliant driver screenies, top one first:

And the lower one:

They are showing a Microsoft driver dated 6/21/2006. That may be the issue? The second listing shows a Power Management tab. It works. (I've got the mouse set to wake the computer from sleep.)

Down on the USB devices listing, the specific entry for the Gaming Mouse G502 shows the correct driver, as shown, below:

It's obvious that I'm confused. I know just enough to poke at it, without knowing what it is that I'm poking. *Wink

In Safe Mode, I'd think that the basic windows drivers would work. I'm just trying to get the mouse to work as a pointing and selection device.

Thanks,
    Ken

(About to scrounge through some boxes to see if I have a USB-to-PS/2 dongle to try.)

iamc3k, Jul 20, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    Now I got stumped and confused too. "HID compliant mouse" is standard mouse driver but that mouse of yours may need special drivers not available (or working ) in safe mode. A run of the mill, ordinary USB mouse should work in safe mode too.

CountMike, Jul 20, 2016
  12. iamc3k Win User
    Not a bad idea...

I have another computer, running Windows 10. Its mouse works in Safe Mode.

I took the working Safe Mode Mouse (hereafter called WSMM), plugged into the "bad" computer...and the WSMM worked!

Now, the odd thing is that the "bad" computer has the Logitech G502 mouse because the previous mouse, a Logitech MX518, didn't work in Safe Mode. (The MX518 is far more basic, and much older, than a G502.) The WSMM is a Logitech G5. (Yeah, I like the feel and function of Logitech mice.)

So...
    Safe Mode status with various mice:
    G5: works
    MX518: inop
    G502: inop

It doesn't pass the sniff test. The MX518 is a more basic/older mouse than the G5, and the G5 is more basic/older than the G502. The newest doesn't work and the oldest doesn't work.

Next test will be to take the MX518 and the G502 and see if they work in Safe Mode when hooked up to the other machine. (That'll have to wait for a few days.)

Thanks,
    Ken

iamc3k, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Safe Mode: USB mouse won't work - Similar Threads - Safe Mode USB

2. USB not working at safe mode of windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB not working at safe mode of windows.: I changed boot conditions to start safe mode but now when i boot into safe mode neither keyboard or mouse working i tried different devices but no chance so far. Input devices working normally at bios with their rgb lit. But when windows starts to load immediately all the rgb...
  3. USB not working at safe mode of windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB not working at safe mode of windows.: I changed boot conditions to start safe mode but now when i boot into safe mode neither keyboard or mouse working i tried different devices but no chance so far. Input devices working normally at bios with their rgb lit. But when windows starts to load immediately all the rgb...
  4. Keyboard or Mouse NOT working in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 News
    Keyboard or Mouse NOT working in Safe Mode: [IMG]Safe Mode is used to troubleshoot problems on a Windows computer. In Safe Mode, Windows loads only necessary drivers, including keyboard and mouse drivers. Problems occur if the keyboard or mouse stops working in the Safe Mode. It also makes it difficult to exit Safe...
  5. Keyboard or Mouse ONLY works in Safe Mode [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    Keyboard or Mouse ONLY works in Safe Mode [Fix]: [IMG]Some users noticed that their keyboard or mouse only works in Safe Mode. When they exit the Safe Mode and start Windows in normal mode, their keyboard or mouse stops working. Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode on Windows computers that you can use to fix the issues....
  6. Keyboard and mouse work in bios but not in safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard and mouse work in bios but not in safe mode: My computer stopped recognizing keyboard and mouse. Tried different keyboard/ mouse, doesn't work. Tried safe mode, no keyboard/ mouse. Tried uninstalling updates, failed. Tried restoring to earlier date, still won't recognize. Tried reinstalling windows 10 from usb, doesn't...
  7. Password won't work after entering safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password won't work after entering safe mode: Password won't work after entering safe mode Went into msconfig and changed to reboot in safe mode. Restarted. Now it asks me for my password and it doesn't work. I have tried my pin , and old password too. I have reset my password to make a new one too, which also...
  8. Win10 Booted in Safe Mode - Mouse doesn't work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 Booted in Safe Mode - Mouse doesn't work: I have a problem. Two problems to be exact, but the most pressing being that my mouse doesn't work. It is stuck in the middle of the screen, and the cursor is invisible. The original problem I had, prior to developing this new mouse problem, was the start menu. Neither the...
  9. Mouse won't work in Safe Mode

Mouse won't work in Safe Mode: Is there any downside to performing a Repair Install? I've been stumped by an issue: my mouse will not work in Safe Mode. It works in BIOS (a UEFI bios); it works in WinPE rescue media; it works in Macrium Rescue media; it works in Windows 10. I've tried selecting every...
  10. No mouse or keyboard in safe mode

No mouse or keyboard in safe mode: After the amazing and wonderful Anniversary Update, that fixes nothing but adds other bugs & glitches, I can't use mouse and keyboard in Safe Mode. Before the update, it worked fine. Any solution? I use safe mode to install new nvidia drivers in safety. When I launch in...