Windows 10: Safe to rely entirely on Macrium to rescue the comp. from a crash?

Discus and support Safe to rely entirely on Macrium to rescue the comp. from a crash? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; It just did it automatically. I think because my usb drive is set for fat 32 which I guess has 4gb limit. Maybe I will set to ntfs and redo it. In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stevekir, May 12, 2017.

1. CountMike New Member

Safe to rely entirely on Macrium to rescue the comp. from a crash?

In that case it should also automatically put them together.

CountMike, May 12, 2017
  2. tomseys Win User

Okay it seems that I have to use fat32 with usb flash drive because my laptop boots in UEFI mode and it only works with fat32. So i have to have the 7 files because of 4gb limitation of fat32.

tomseys, May 12, 2017
  3. cereberus Win User
    Yes that is correct.

The reason for 7 files is the 4 GB file size limit on fat32.

If you want just a single file, use NTFS or exFAT formatted drives.

cereberus, May 12, 2017
  4. tomseys Win User

Yeah Macrium won't allow it stating that there are more partitions on the usb than allowed (more than 1) when usb is formatted with NTSF and i've read that with ueti booting it must use fat32 unless I try and change stuff but i don't think I want to mess with that.

I guess i could burn the rescue disk to cd/dvd and then put the single image file on a ntsf formatted usb flash drive.I could get a larger flash drive and store multiple images on it.

tomseys, May 12, 2017
  5. Stevekir Win User
    Thanks. I will pursue.

Stevekir, May 12, 2017
  6. Stevekir Win User
    Thanks. I am trying Easus Todo and Aomei Backupper. They are very similar to eachother: for daily backups they offer one backup per day (I'm going for Full backups). Presumably each of those is deleted and replaced by the new one. Therefore, if a fault in the C: drive occurrs before a backup is done, that backup will contain that fault. Therefore, going back to that backup will have no effect.

I found Veeam very intrusive, requrring a registration stage, and insisting on a phone number, so I have not looked further.

The advantage of Macrium is that you can set it to (for example) once per day and keep each one for three days. That gives you a chance to go back to a BU two or three days before the fault and get a faultless BU. (Of course, you could set Easus and Aomei to do a once per week BU. Going back to that would almost certainly avoid such a fault, but that BU would be out of date by up to a week.)

Therefore, can anyone recommend another BU utility that offers to keep daily backups for a few days (like Macrium does?)

( In case you are wondering, I know Macrium is very reliable, but I would be happier of I had another BU programgoing at the same time. Over the top I know, but that's me.)

Stevekir, May 13, 2017
  7. SIW2 Win User
    My Aomei can do Daily backups. I think the disk space management isn't in the free version. Try the Pro. for that.

Safe to rely entirely on Macrium to rescue the comp. from a crash? [​IMG]

8. Stevekir Win User

Yes, I can do that as well. What I was looking for was the ability of preserve the last three daily backups. This was in case of a fault on my C: drive, I needed to go back 2 to 3 days to get a clean backup.

Having searched more, I find that Easeus Todo can preserve some backups for a few days, which is what I am looking for. However, I need to test it over several days to confirm.

Stevekir, May 13, 2017
  9. SIW2 Win User
    Todo works fine, but it is large. Just look for backupper pro giveaway. Ther is also an O&Odisk image pro giveaway for version 10.5 which supports win10.

10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Since TS uses an UEFI system and assuming he has an external backup drive he can create a Fat32 partition of say 1Gb in size and use that to copy MR's rescue disk onto it. The Backup partition can then be formatted using the NTFS file system which allows for a single BU file.
    To do this let MR create a Rescue ISO file, once mounted you then just select all files and copy these to the Rescue partition.

Test it to see if it boots and you're done.
    For extra safety I use a small usb stick of about 4Gb as a spare MR Rescue medium as well.

MR never let me down, it's free and does all I need it to do.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, May 13, 2017
  11. tomseys Win User
    That sounds interesting. I think the way I'm going to go since I only have some cheap usb flash drives and I want to put them to use is I will keep the one 32gb flash drive that has everything (rescue+ image) on it on the side as a totally usb based back up and I will also make a CD and DVD copy of the rescue disk and then keep image backups on another larger flash drive formatted nfts. For my netbook sans disk drive I just use a small 16GB flash drive for rescue/image.

tomseys, May 14, 2017
  12. tomseys Win User
    Quick follow up questions:

1. When you restore a full image backup, does it put the computer to the exact same state it was at the time of backup? There is absolutely no difference on any level or in any way?

2. With malware/ransomware/viruses, my understanding is that restoring a clean backed up image will simply wipe out the infected image and then you are good. Are there any cases where this can fail? Assume the backup image media is not infected and the backup is clean - can a virus or malware for example interfere with or affect the boot up and not allow one to choose a way to boot up for example and then you can't load from the rescue disk?

Thanks.

tomseys, May 14, 2017
  13. CountMike New Member

1. Yes, just watch for any HW changes and it's drivers that may have happened between backups.
    2. Also yes but you also may want to take an extra precaution and wipe or secure erase target disk first.

CountMike, May 14, 2017
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If you have a NAS server say running Linux you can use any number of the Linux tools for backing up. rsync is good but it's a complex command line. GRSYNC is a GUI version of Rsync

Advantage of rsync is that you can easily automate it (Linux CRONTAB).

other good Linux utilities

14 Outstanding Backup Utilities for Linux Systems

Having backups done by two different OS'es might be more complex but it certainly will be safer - the chances of BOTH OS'es going down at the same time aren't at all likely.

I backup Windows to external HDD with Macrium (running on the Windows system or the stand alone bootable version) and then nightly cron job copies windows data to NAS server.

If there is undetected malware on Windows it can't harm the Linux server as there's no way for it to execute even if it could execute an .exe file. Also don't give the (Linux) backup job root privileges either - run it as a specific non admin type of user that can only access a specific directory on the server.

Always have a "Clean" reference Windows OS image that you can restore - remember the latest backup could well have undetected malware -- no A/V software can ever be 100% effective -- even if it's 90% which is probably almost unachievable too --some stuff will get through - depending on users behaviour regarding emails, surfing, torrenting etc etc.

I always have a CLEAN image OS of the first CLEAN Windows installation - I make that disconnected from the Internet. That version I keep until the next windows release appears - then I make a new one if I'm satisfied with the new release.

I then regularly take nightly images of the Windows OS - but keep the reference one just in case.

If you do find malware on your system then you need to go back through each backup in turn -- I keep 5 full ones - I've oodles of HDD space. If say you still haven't got a clean system with your last backup (in my case the 5th one or oldest) restore your reference OS.

I'm not an advocate of using any A/V cleanser -- you can 100% NEVER guarantee the system is fully OK and often the time taken in attempting to clean an infected system can take HOURS or even DAYS - a 30 min restore is far simpler --on SSD might only be 10 mins to restore !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 14, 2017
  15. I have been using Macrium Reflect for years. Make an image daily and I can restore using a DVD or Flash to a blank HD. I would not turn on my PC without it.

Josey Wales, May 14, 2017
Thema:

1. Safe to rely entirely on Macrium to rescue the comp. from a crash? - Similar Threads - Safe rely entirely

2. Macrium rescue media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium rescue media: Hows everybody? I solved this in the past and cant recall exactly how I did it. The macrium rescue media tool cant detect the correct drivers for a usb 3.0 device. And this is win 7 era hardware. It says that winRE has built in support. Not. I had to install the drivers for...
  3. Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD

Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD: In addition to adding Macrium Recovery to my boot menu and having a bootable USB, I always set up a bootable partition on one of my HDs per this thread by @topgundep, FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External USB HD/SSD. It always worked flawlessly giving me...
  4. macrium rescue media

macrium rescue media: hi, I have installed a new external HDD for my backup image. Do I have to create a new rescue media? 113539
  5. Macrium Reflect /rescue media

Macrium Reflect /rescue media: Hi, Do I have to create a new rescue media (USB) for every Windows 10 machines I have, or is the first I created valid for all the others? 112784
  6. Macrium reflect rescue usb problem

Macrium reflect rescue usb problem: Though this belongs to Win 7 32 bit but I think people here may have answer to my problem. I created a Macrium USB pen drive (fat 16 formatted) but PC is not booting this pen drive and error comes up - operating system missing). PC first boot device is my pen drive. 28084
  7. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi, I recently created a rescue media as I wanted to backup Windows 10 Fall creators update. After creating the rescue media to pen drive i backed up the partion of windows drive. What I noticed later that all my internal drives are now are removable or ejectable....
  8. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi i have a desktop PC with Windows 10 home. i have created the Macrium Reflect rescue media on USB. ( I have used it to restore images and works fine ). i have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Pro, i have created an image of the disc using Macrium Reflect and saved it...
  9. Macrium: Rescue Media

Macrium: Rescue Media: Having turned to Macrium for daily backups, I have created a Rescue Media DVD. When testing to see if it would boot (as Macrium advise). I was unable to choose which of the options offered was correct. Attached is a clip of my boot menu with the DVD in its tray. Oddly, the...
  10. Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD

Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD: Hey Guys I was a poster on the SevenForums, but it appears that usernames and logins don't transfer from there? Anyhow ive registered a new account here to post my (hopefully simple) query: Ive just followed Brinks amazing Clean Install W10 without having to upgrade...