Windows 10: Safe to rely entirely on Macrium to rescue the comp. from a crash?

Discus and support Safe to rely entirely on Macrium to rescue the comp. from a crash? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; So if you have some simple windows laptops and you are not the most technical person what is the easiest way to first wipe the hard drive before using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stevekir, May 12, 2017.

1. tomseys Win User

Safe to rely entirely on Macrium to rescue the comp. from a crash?

So if you have some simple windows laptops and you are not the most technical person what is the easiest way to first wipe the hard drive before using the rescue/image to restore if you needed to do that? How do you wipe or secure erase it if the OS is not cooperating and you can't boot to rescue disk? Do you need some other tool besides Macrium?

tomseys, May 14, 2017
  2. CountMike New Member

Most famous one DBAN: Download Darik's Boot and Nuke - MajorGeeks make a BOOT USB with it and completely wipe everything on disk. Just make darn sure it's right disk, no return from this one. One pass should be enough for this use.

CountMike, May 14, 2017
  3. tomseys Win User
    Okay but if your computer is incapable of booting properly or you can't change the boot order or you can't do anything because a virus has corrupted everything, how can the laptop boot to the usb wipe disk tool to do the wipe/secure erase?

tomseys, May 14, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

If it will not boot from that USB on that one than you'd have to remove drive and connect it by USB adapter or otherwise to some other computer, boot and do it from there. It could also be installed on a CD or DVD.
    Another way would be to BOOT from USB/CD/DVD some Live Linux distro and use it's partitioning tools from it. In some cases if windows will not boot from USB, some live Linux distro might.

CountMike, May 14, 2017
  5. tomseys Win User
    Okay thanks CountMike.

tomseys, May 14, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    You can run some commands from within Macrium -- the bootable version is basically WINPE so DISKPART should work, then simply CLEAN, Create partition and then Format - use the long (full) rather than a quick format.

As CountMike says if the machine is in such a state that it won't even boot from a USB, remove HDD, connect to another machine via USB-->SATA connector and re-format and restore your image -- then put it back into the original machine.

I'm not sure why though a machine could be damaged (by software) in such a way that it won't boot from a USB device -- the boot is done via ROM's so any virus would probably not be able to wipe your BIOS in any case.

Another way is to load a live Linux distro on to a USB and re-format the HDD. Things like GPARTED will be on the Live Linux distro.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 14, 2017
  7. tomseys Win User
    Okay, thanks jimbo45.

tomseys, May 14, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

If you cannot boot to a rescue usb flash drive or dvd, it is impossible to wipe hard drive whilst installed on same pc.

Even if you remove drive and wipe it on another pc, it would be a challenge to install windows 10 on it if you cannot boot to any rescue drive or installer.

It is possible to do it i.e. install windows 10 on that drive on another pc (disconnecting other hdd), then use sysprep to remove hardware drivers, but this is not for total beginners.

If your OS is working enough, and you can get to a command prompt, then it is possible to put Macrium Reflect boot drive files in a partition, and create a boot entry. Then you can select Macrium Reflect during boot up of pc without needing an external boot drive.

cereberus, May 17, 2017
  9. I split my programs myself from SSD and some on D Drive, Do I have to Image both in order to restore properly? Last time System wouldn't reactivate Windows 10 Pro after the restore procedure I did, so I ended up having to clean install anyways

AMDMan2016, May 18, 2017
  10. tomseys Win User
    Thanks for the info cereberus.

tomseys, May 18, 2017
  11. CountMike New Member
    In that case you should make a backup of both because programs installed on another disk/partition would have to be reinstalled

CountMike, May 18, 2017
  12. RolandJS Win User
    Did you get an answer earlier? Yes, you will probably have to restore both partitions that contain programs, one right after the other -- before doing a reboot.

RolandJS, May 23, 2017
  13. tfwul Win User

I have been using Macrium Reflect for quite a while. Tried some alternatives but felt Macrium is the most userfriendly.
    Is a matter of taste, I agree.

I create images at regular intervals and run backups weekly basis. Sofar, in case of issues, Macrium never let me down.
    Can highly recommend Macrium. The image file can be explored (right click, 'Explore Image')

As for backup of files (not images): it will create 1 backup file, instead of 1-to-1 file backup, like SyncBackPro.
    Consider that Macrium has a free version which is sufficient when it comes to images only.

=

tfwul, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Safe to rely entirely on Macrium to rescue the comp. from a crash? - Similar Threads - Safe rely entirely

2. Macrium rescue media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium rescue media: Hows everybody? I solved this in the past and cant recall exactly how I did it. The macrium rescue media tool cant detect the correct drivers for a usb 3.0 device. And this is win 7 era hardware. It says that winRE has built in support. Not. I had to install the drivers for...
  3. Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD

Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD: In addition to adding Macrium Recovery to my boot menu and having a bootable USB, I always set up a bootable partition on one of my HDs per this thread by @topgundep, FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External USB HD/SSD. It always worked flawlessly giving me...
  4. macrium rescue media

macrium rescue media: hi, I have installed a new external HDD for my backup image. Do I have to create a new rescue media? 113539
  5. Macrium Reflect /rescue media

Macrium Reflect /rescue media: Hi, Do I have to create a new rescue media (USB) for every Windows 10 machines I have, or is the first I created valid for all the others? 112784
  6. Macrium reflect rescue usb problem

Macrium reflect rescue usb problem: Though this belongs to Win 7 32 bit but I think people here may have answer to my problem. I created a Macrium USB pen drive (fat 16 formatted) but PC is not booting this pen drive and error comes up - operating system missing). PC first boot device is my pen drive. 28084
  7. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi, I recently created a rescue media as I wanted to backup Windows 10 Fall creators update. After creating the rescue media to pen drive i backed up the partion of windows drive. What I noticed later that all my internal drives are now are removable or ejectable....
  8. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi i have a desktop PC with Windows 10 home. i have created the Macrium Reflect rescue media on USB. ( I have used it to restore images and works fine ). i have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Pro, i have created an image of the disc using Macrium Reflect and saved it...
  9. Macrium: Rescue Media

Macrium: Rescue Media: Having turned to Macrium for daily backups, I have created a Rescue Media DVD. When testing to see if it would boot (as Macrium advise). I was unable to choose which of the options offered was correct. Attached is a clip of my boot menu with the DVD in its tray. Oddly, the...
  10. Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD

Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD: Hey Guys I was a poster on the SevenForums, but it appears that usernames and logins don't transfer from there? Anyhow ive registered a new account here to post my (hopefully simple) query: Ive just followed Brinks amazing Clean Install W10 without having to upgrade...