Windows 10: Safe to remove main HD and boot with another?

Discus and support Safe to remove main HD and boot with another? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Question: I'm on a desktop. Can I safely remove my current HD which has my current working Win10 and connect a new HD and do a fresh install of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chumbo, May 29, 2017.

1. chumbo Win User

Safe to remove main HD and boot with another?

Hi,
    Question: I'm on a desktop. Can I safely remove my current HD which has my current working Win10 and connect a new HD and do a fresh install of Win10 on it for troubleshooting some USB 3.0 issues I'm having? After which I would then go back to connecting my main HD.
    This won't mess up my Windows installation, right?

I always tremble when I have to deal with having to even remotely 'touch' anything having to do with booting because of bad past experiences (you know, NTLDR, BOOTMGR missing, etc....).
    And I'd rather not mess around with a dual boot, since it's totally unnecessary because after my troubleshooting, I'll never use that other HD again, I'll just erase that fresh Win10 installation. (and I've had many dual boot issues before as well so...)

Thanks!

:)

chumbo, May 29, 2017

2. Windows 10 takes too long to boot

I use ccleaner app to remove some obsolete files that can safely remove from my system. Then I deleted some of corrupted registry files using the same application. Then after I restarted my computer, it gone to the booting part of the system. Then a black
    cut comes after, then the booting part came back, but the dots moving slower and the main os don't open anymore. It just stucked at the booting process. What should I do revert the problem?

Jann RyanNovela, May 29, 2017
  3. PC doesn't boot after the old HD removed

Hi,

I've recently bought a new HD and installed win10 on it, but when I try to remove my old HD containing win7 the pc didn't boot up.

If both HDs are connected everything is fine, but removing the old one makes pc not to boot at all saying "Please find a Boot Device. Press Any Key". What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks for beforehand!

AndreasTsiougos, May 29, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes, you can do that with no issues.

NavyLCDR, May 29, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    zbook, May 29, 2017
  6. chumbo Win User
    Thanks, that's reassuring! I've also bookmarked that page about re-activating my licence, just in case.
    cheers,

chumbo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Safe to remove main HD and boot with another? - Similar Threads - Safe remove main

2. Is it safe to delete the main user?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete the main user?: I want to delete the main user on my laptop, the reason is that I was scammed out of it and I can no longer use anything attached to it. Is deleting the main user safe or will it ruin my laptop?...
  3. Is it safe to delete the main user?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to delete the main user?: I want to delete the main user on my laptop, the reason is that I was scammed out of it and I can no longer use anything attached to it. Is deleting the main user safe or will it ruin my laptop?...
  4. Drive letter for main HD changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letter for main HD changed: Somehow, the drive letter for my main HD RAID drive which was D: has been changed. My desktop and a number of other critical files are located on it, so I cannot run Disk Manager. How can I change the drive letter from G: to D:?...
  5. Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive: Hi friends. I am a new member. Thanks for accepting me into the Forum. Yesterday, my HP G61 laptop's HDD finally crashed. I was getting unmountable boot volume error about a year ago, which I fixed by clean installing Win 10. It was ok till yesterday, when the system stopped...
  6. Are these safe to remove

in Windows 10 Support
    Are these safe to remove: Hi Guys I have on my pc the following items and I want to know if its safe to remove. As far as I know, I do not have/use any Apple products or machines. Apple Application Support 64 bit Apple Mobile Device Support Apple Software Update W 10 of course 159676
  7. Safe to remove

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Safe to remove: On 1 of 4 1809 machines, I lost the "safe to remove message" The ports are ok and the usb stick is ok because the led goes out. Does anyone have a fix that "really" works ? Thanks 125584
  8. Safe to remove

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe to remove: On 1 of 4 1809 machines, I lost the "safe to remove message" The ports are ok and the stick is ok because the led goes out. Does anyone have a fix that "really" works ? Thanks 125584
  9. Remove main account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove main account: I set my computer up with the wrong email address by accident for the MS account. It will not allow me to remove the main account. I added another account with the right info, but the computer is registered with the first one and will not let me delete it. Any suggestions?...
  10. Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive: Hi guys, So I'm no longer able to boot into my main drive, but all my files and folders on that drive still look intact. I honestly don't know what went wrong or if there is any way to fix this other than reinstalling Windows. Tried startup repair on my Windows 10...