Windows 10: Safely Remove Hardware icon with nothing plugged in, shows 3 dots(...)

Discus and support Safely Remove Hardware icon with nothing plugged in, shows 3 dots(...) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 on my desktop and the safely remove hardware icon is always there even when nothing is plugged in. When nothing's plugged in,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by yogalD, Aug 7, 2015.

1. yogalD Win User

Safely Remove Hardware icon with nothing plugged in, shows 3 dots(...)

I installed Windows 10 on my desktop and the safely remove hardware icon is always there even when nothing is plugged in. When nothing's plugged in, clicking the icon just shows 3 dots (...) and a link to open the Hardware and Devices window (or whatever it's called).

How can I fix this?

I will also note that this does not happen on the laptop that I installed Windows 10 on.

:)

yogalD, Aug 7, 2015
  2. Daz54 Win User

Notification Area Icons

The "Safely Remove Hardware....." icon only used to show if I had a usb device connected, and disappeared once the device was removed.

It is now showing all the time. Without a device plugged, when you click it, it shows "Open Devices and Printers" at the top with three dots (...) at the bottom where the device to be removed is normally shown.

On my other Windows 10 PC it behaves just as referred in the first line above.

Has anybody got any ideas on how to fix this?

Regards,

Daz54, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Daz54 Win User
    Notification Area Icons

Thank you Ratandeep for your continued support.

The above posting applies to a removable device always showing the Safely Remove Hardware icon, which is what I would expect to happen.

This is not the same as my problem which is that even without a device plugged in my PC is showing this icon.

Regards,

Daz

Daz54, Aug 7, 2015
  4. yogalD Win User

Also why was this moved to hardware/devices? It's not a hardware issue.

yogalD, Aug 8, 2015
  5. CountMike New Member
    It includes everything USB, mice, keyboard, any controller inside the case, like card readers, some CPU coolers etc.

CountMike, Aug 8, 2015
  6. yogalD Win User
    Then why doesn't this happen in other situations? And how would I get rid of it anyway?

yogalD, Aug 8, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    Laptop probably doesn't have anything inside connected by USB. I don't think you can remove it but only hide it.

CountMike, Aug 8, 2015
  8. yogalD Win User

Hmm for some reason the generic Microsoft drivers cause this - for hard drives and apparently an internal card reader I had. Installing Intel's SATA driver stopped my internal HDDs from showing up, but that still left the 3 dots. Turns out that the Microosft driver for the card reader was responsible for those 3 dots, for whatever reason, and installing the proper drivers (for Windows 7 though) solved this.

yogalD, Aug 8, 2015
  9. Hi,

I have been having the same kind of 'safely remove hardware icon not going away' issue you used to have before. I have been struggling to fix the issue for a while but couldn't find the cause of the problem.
    Tried in device manager with the drivers of my card reader for example.

Is there a way you could help me out with this?

I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thank you!

DavidsNeD88, Oct 4, 2016
  10. yogalD Win User
    If you unplug your card reader does it still happen?

yogalD, Oct 4, 2016
  11. I can not unplug anything since I have a Lenovo laptop with this built-in 4-in-1 kinda card reader.
    I installed fresh Windows 10 Pro x64 from a USB stick a few days ago and the Safely Remove Hardware icon has been there with the 3 dots and the 'Open Devices and Printers' option ever since.
    I have no external USB devices plugged in at the moment except my mouse. But unplugging my mouse did not solve it (obviously*Smile).
    I installed/updated the JMicron card reader driver manually but the icon is still there.

DavidsNeD88, Oct 4, 2016
  12. yogalD Win User
    What about disabling the card reader in device manager? (finding out whether or not it's the card reader causing this)

yogalD, Oct 4, 2016
  13. Edwin New Member

Is it possible to hide it with 'Classic' Options?

'Personalize (classic)' context menu - Add in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Safely Remove Hardware icon with nothing plugged in, shows 3 dots(...) [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 4, 2016
  14. yogalD Win User
    I'm sure that's possible but it's not a solution.

yogalD, Oct 4, 2016
  15. I tried with disabling it before but it did not solve it. At the moment however there is an option only for Uninstalling it and in its Properties-General tab says its not connected to the computer.

Edit: At the normal Win10 settings 'Select which icons appear on the taskbar' it is greyed out and already turned off.

DavidsNeD88, Oct 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Safely Remove Hardware icon with nothing plugged in, shows 3 dots(...) - Similar Threads - Safely Remove Hardware

2. Safely Remove Hardware icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safely Remove Hardware icon: I have my USB device set for "better performance"; yet I can't get the Safely Remove icon to appear on my taskbar. I can see it only by going to "Show hidden icons." How can I get this icon to appear on the taskbar, or on the Windows list of "Select which icons appear on the...
  3. Safely Remove Hardware icon

Safely Remove Hardware icon: I cannot display Safely Remove icon on my taskbar. It is turned on in Settings/Select which icons appear - but does not appear. It is not showing in Hidden Icons. ??????...
  4. No icon in the Safely Remove Hardware panel

No icon in the Safely Remove Hardware panel: Acer Switch V 10 -- I get a message that I should use the Safely Remove Hardware command in the tray when I remove the tablet/screen from the keyboard, but there is no icon in that panel for me to click. Does that mean I can safely ignore the message?...
  5. safely remove hardware icon

safely remove hardware icon: where is safely remove hardware icon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/safely-remove-hardware-icon/b1cc5b40-80b4-4081-94b1-ca06b4acb523
  6. Safely Remove Hardware Icon disappears

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Safely Remove Hardware Icon disappears: When, while in my user account, I mount two external drives on my pc, the Safely Remove Hardware icon appears in the Taskbar. If I eject one drive, the Safely Remove Hardware icon often, not always, disappears. The icon is still visible if I click the upward arrow in the...
  7. Safely remove hardware icon

Safely remove hardware icon: Is it possible to permanently get rid of this annoying little icon? So far, i have found this program to get rid of it, but i think its a bit silly to have a program installed just to get rid of the icon. 116907
  8. "Safely remove hardware" icon not showing.

in Windows 10 Support
    "Safely remove hardware" icon not showing.: Here we go. So the "safely remove hardware" icon is not showing. To be fair, it shows randomly, no matter if I have or have not an USB connected. It's totally random. For example, if I can't see it now, I close session or reboot, and it appears. It started to happen after...
  9. disable safely remove hardware icon

disable safely remove hardware icon: is there a way to permanently disable that annoying icon? most of the posts i have read only says how to hide it... 61771
  10. Where is the Safely Remove Hardware icon

Where is the Safely Remove Hardware icon: Hello, I'm new to Windows 10 and to this forum. I can't find the eject hardware icon anywhere. Under windows 7 it was in the system tray at bottom right. Few questions, please: 1. So where is that eject hardware icon? 2. I'm assuming that mice and keyboards can be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. safely remove 3 dlts