Windows 10: Safely Remove Hardware No Longer Working

Discus and support Safely Remove Hardware No Longer Working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I have done some prior searching but haven't found anything that seems to fix my particular problem. Every since around the Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MadChef, Jun 28, 2017.

1. MadChef Win User

Safely Remove Hardware No Longer Working

Hello everyone. I have done some prior searching but haven't found anything that seems to fix my particular problem.

Every since around the Win 10 Developer's Update, removing hardware via the notification tray dialogue has stopped functioning.

When I plug in an external device through usb, the icon will appear and when I click to eject it, the icon will go away. However, the device remains engaged and I never get the balloon notication saying that it's safe to remove the device. This isn't a problem with a usb stick, which I just unplug anyway and haven't had any problems with... but it's been a huge pain for charging my kindle.

When the kindle is plugged in to the computer, it goes into drive mode so that you can manage and upload files. However, if you want to read while the kindle is plugged into the computer and charging, you need to remove it from the safely remove device dialogue. When I try this, the kindle stays in drive mode and I can't get out of it without unplugging the usb cable from the system.

I didn't add or remove any programs or drivers at the time this started happening. I believe it was caused by a windows update.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

:)

MadChef, Jun 28, 2017
  2. rjpe Win User

Safe to remove hardware message no longer shows in Windows 10 Pro x64

need registry key to enable "safe to remove hardware" message in Windows 10. This message no longer appears after "Safely remove hardware and eject media" is selected from the notification area's icon. The system is working properly but is simply not displaying
    the "safe to remove message" which it previously did.

3. Safely remove hardware

Hi Paul,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

In order to safe remove the external devices which are connected to PC,

go to This PC > right click on the external device connected > and click on
    Eject

Hope it helps.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 28, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Have you opened File Explorer, located a USB Thumb drive then tried the Eject on the right-click of the drive? How about in Control Panel, Devices and Printers? Do either of those actions work?

You mentioned Developer's update but what does pressing Windows key and R key at the same time and typing winver give you as to specific numbers?

Or did you mean an Insider Preview [BETA/test] Version or the Creator's Update Version or the Anniversary Update Version?

Berton, Jun 30, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    Try running sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt to check / repair your system files. Also try the Hardware & Devices Troubleshooter at Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories

Steve C, Jun 30, 2017
  6. MadChef Win User
    Hello, thank you for your reply. I finally got around to looking in to this again.

Using the right-click menu eject in windows explorer works!

Trying to remove the device in "devices and printers" does not work and results in the same problem as trying to eject via the "safely remove hardware and eject media" notification tray icon.

My current windows version is 1703 (OS Build 15063.540)

Ejecting in windows explorer is a nice workaround, but it would be great to get to the bottom of this and fix the problem.

MadChef, Aug 9, 2017
  7. Bastet Win User
    Have you tried this:
    For safe eject USB notification missing:
    • Press keyboard*"win + R"
    • Type "regedit"
    • Search the value "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notification\Settings\Microsoft.Explore r.Notification.{...}"
    • If you REG_DWORD 0x00000001(0) set "0" you can double click on value. Set the value*data to "1"
    • Click "OK"

Bastet, Aug 9, 2017
  8. MadChef Win User

Hello! Thank you for the reply.

The command prompt scan did not find any errors.

Running the Hardware & Devices troubleshooting scan with before the erroneous ejection produces no results. After the failed ejection the scan finds an error but whatever it is attempting to do to fix it is not having any effect, the problem persists.

MadChef, Aug 9, 2017
  9. MadChef Win User
    Hi! Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find that path in the registry...

MadChef, Aug 9, 2017
  10. Bastet Win User
    I have it, if you don't there may be more going on. As I copy/pasted the 'fix' there's a space between e & r in explorer - it's not there in the original & not there when I tried editing my post.

Safely Remove Hardware No Longer Working [​IMG]

Bastet, Aug 9, 2017
  11. MadChef Win User
    ^ Yeah, that path does not exist in my registry.

MadChef, Aug 9, 2017
  12. Bastet Win User
    Try: open cmd prompt/powershell & enter rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll or check Control Panel - Device Manager - Disks - double click on the USB drive - Under Policies tab -
    check Optimize for Quick Removal - Apply / OK as needed and reboot.

Bastet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Safely Remove Hardware No Longer Working - Similar Threads - Safely Remove Hardware

2. "Safe to Remove Hardware"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Safe to Remove Hardware": Windows11 "Safe to Remove Hardware" The Icon appears when ask to eject but the "Safe to Remove Hardware" does not show to remove. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safe-to-remove-hardware/b6fed1d0-bcf2-4c97-8d1c-e18aba09f305
  3. Safely remove Hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safely remove Hardware: I am sure that I do not use the external hardware however, when I want to remove it, I receive a message that " This device is currently in use. Close any program....". I checked the "Task Manager" and could not find an open program/window using it. How can I find which...
  4. Safely remove Hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Safely remove Hardware: I am sure that I do not use the external hardware however, when I want to remove it, I receive a message that " This device is currently in use. Close any program....". I checked the "Task Manager" and could not find an open program/window using it. How can I find which...
  5. Safely remove Hardware

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Safely Remove Hardware

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safely Remove Hardware: I don't see the safely remove hardware icon on my Windows 10 taskbar. After checking the list of available icons in settings, it's missing in action! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safely-remove-hardware/786e43ce-bb75-4ccd-92f6-c2b5e10060c7
  7. Safe to remove hardware?

Safe to remove hardware?: I often use pen drives for certain purposes, and after ejecting the drive using the "safely remove hardware" icon on the task bar, I used to get an all clear message pop up on the lower right screen telling me it was safe to remove the pen drive! This message no longer...
  8. Safe to remove hardware?

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe to remove hardware?: I often use pen drives for certain purposes, and after ejecting the drive using the "safely remove hardware" icon on the task bar, I used to get an all clear message pop up on the lower right screen telling me it was safe to remove the pen drive! This message no longer...
  9. Safely Remove Hardware, no longer shows safe to do.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safely Remove Hardware, no longer shows safe to do.: My Safely to Remove Hardware Icon is displayed on Taskbar. Clicking Icon, shows all hardware connected. Clicking the required hardware to be closed, now no longer shows caption that it is safe to do so. This stopped after the last close down of computer....
  10. "Safely remove hardware"

"Safely remove hardware": Here we go. So the "safely remove hardware" icon is not showing. To be fair, it shows randomly, no matter if I have or have not an USB connected. It's totally random. For example, if I can't see it now, I close session or reboot, and it appears. It started to happen after...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why the safe to eject device is no longer displayed?

2. why do i no longer get safe to remove hardware when clicking on eject

3. how to fix HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notification\Settings\Microsoft.Explore r.Notification.