Windows 10: SAMBA and Windows 10

Discus and support SAMBA and Windows 10 in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there I know a load of people have Linux as a VM on a Windows 10 Host (and the other way around too). Samba will often yield strange results... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jun 14, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

SAMBA and Windows 10

Hi there

I know a load of people have Linux as a VM on a Windows 10 Host (and the other way around too).

Samba will often yield strange results with W10 if you don't set up the smb.conf file correctly to work with W10. This should also fix "timeout on server" type of problems too.

anyway these suggestions seem to work in pretty well all cases I've seen where there are problems (usually from the Windows end !!!!).

I've assumed your VM has networking enabled and is reachable on an accessible network !!!!!

1) Enable Network discovery on Windows

2) Ensure any Windows files you want to share on Linux are given shared properties in Windows

3) set any firewalls to allow SAMBA type connections (both Windows and Linux)

4) ensure the SMB.CONF file has these lines in the [global] section

max protocol = SMB3

name resolve order = bcast lmhosts host wins

Even if (as most don't) you don't use wins leave the line as indicated.

W10 networking doesn't use netbios so you often get the situation where you can't connect via hostname but only via ip address - which is fiddly and also maintaining host files every time you re-boot etc is a pain.

Note - especially if you boot a windows VM on a Linux host - windows takes around 5 mins sometimes for it to be known on the network - maybe somebody could see if there was some windows setting that speeds this up. The Linux machine is usually available to windows shortly after Windows has booted up.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 14, 2016
  2. R. Hansen_690, Jun 14, 2016
  3. EckiS Win User
    EckiS, Jun 14, 2016
  4. SAMBA and Windows 10

Samba is now improving a lot and 4.4 is a very big step forward. But things like SMB Multichannel and SMB Direct are not working as should yet.
    I think that its best implementation is MSFT and wise OEMs. Re-package of such or one froma Visual Systems.
    You could also take a look at StarWind, it does Microsoft SMB3 server stack and Infinidat does Visual NQ.

StorageBlaster, Jul 10, 2016
Thema:

SAMBA and Windows 10

1. SAMBA and Windows 10 - Similar Threads - SAMBA

2. stop windows 11 failed samba login at startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    stop windows 11 failed samba login at startup: I recently setup a new PC with Windows 11. I have a NAS and mapped network shares using the my NAS credentials without an issue. The problem is that Windows 11 insists on trying to login to the NAS on startup using my Microsoft credentials which, of course, fails. Any idea...
  3. stop windows 11 failed samba login at startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    stop windows 11 failed samba login at startup: I recently setup a new PC with Windows 11. I have a NAS and mapped network shares using the my NAS credentials without an issue. The problem is that Windows 11 insists on trying to login to the NAS on startup using my Microsoft credentials which, of course, fails. Any idea...
  4. Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11: Hi!I am trying to create a samba drive with an external hard drive connected to an old router Inteno DG301A and keep getting invalid credentials error when I try to access the drive through Windows file explorer. The credentials I enter are definitely the same that I created...
  5. Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11

Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11: Hi!I am trying to create a samba drive with an external hard drive connected to an old router Inteno DG301A and keep getting invalid credentials error when I try to access the drive through Windows file explorer. The credentials I enter are definitely the same that I created...
  6. Windows 11 can't connect to Ubuntu samba shares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 can't connect to Ubuntu samba shares: I have problem to connect from Windows 11 to my sambashares on Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS but to my sambashare on Linux raspberrypi 6.1.21-v8+ the connection works. When I tested with Windows 10 I was able to connect both Ubuntu's and RaspberryPi's samba shares without problems....
  7. Windows 11 can't connect to Ubuntu samba shares

Windows 11 can't connect to Ubuntu samba shares: I have problem to connect from Windows 11 to my sambashares on Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS but to my sambashare on Linux raspberrypi 6.1.21-v8+ the connection works. When I tested with Windows 10 I was able to connect both Ubuntu's and RaspberryPi's samba shares without problems....
  8. windows 11 insists on me login into my samba instance with a microsoft user.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 insists on me login into my samba instance with a microsoft user.: Hey running windows 11 on my laptop, and when ever I try to connect to my samba instance running on the local network it doesn't prompt me for username and password like it does on windows 10. I only have it configured for it to work with that spefic username / password....
  9. windows 11 insists on me login into my samba instance with a microsoft user.

windows 11 insists on me login into my samba instance with a microsoft user.: Hey running windows 11 on my laptop, and when ever I try to connect to my samba instance running on the local network it doesn't prompt me for username and password like it does on windows 10. I only have it configured for it to work with that spefic username / password....
  10. Windows 10 Save As dialog stuck when browsing my Samba server name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Save As dialog stuck when browsing my Samba server name: I am experiencing the following issue on the Windows 10 clients in my home network different computers.Whenever I try to Save As no matter what application and select my Samba server to browse my shares, the dialogue is "stuck" until I click cancel once. After cancelling...