Windows 10: Samba machine not showing in Network folder

Discus and support Samba machine not showing in Network folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Not sure if here or the Ubuntu forums is the correct place to post this, so I'm posting to both. I have a file server running Ubuntu Server 14.04,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Roadsguy, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Roadsguy Win User

Samba machine not showing in Network folder

Not sure if here or the Ubuntu forums is the correct place to post this, so I'm posting to both.

I have a file server running Ubuntu Server 14.04, with Samba set up for Windows file shares. I have it all set up to do mostly what I want, but there's one odd problem that I can't seem to fix: even though I can manually go to //192.168.1.3 (the IP) or //fileserver and browse my shares and files normally, I can't get the file server to show up in Windows' Network folder.

No amount of refreshing the folder, restarting Samba, or rebooting either my computer or the file server seems to fix this. All that shows up is the machine I'm using, as well as whatever other Windows PCs are running (which means that network discovery is definitely set properly). Also, I can map network drives to the specific shares without an issue.

I've confirmed that both machines are on the same workgroup (smb.conf has workgroup = WORKGROUP, and my Windows 10 machine is on WORKGROUP as well (and is stuck on that, too, since it's running 10 Home). Googling the issue showed other people with similar problems, and offered various config options in smb.conf as a solution, but none of them work. (I did of course restart Samba after each attempt.)

This is my smb.conf, edited for privacy and to remove commented lines (it's mostly default):

Code: [global] workgroup = WORKGROUP server string = <server string> dns proxy = no log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m max log size = 1000 syslog = 0 panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d server role = standalone server passdb backend = tdbsam obey pam restrictions = yes unix password sync = yes pam password change = yes map to guest = bad user [Share A] path = /home/fileserver/blah/blah read only = no writeable = yes browseable = yes create mask = 0770 force create mode = 0770 locking = yes [Share B] path = /home/fileserver/blah/blah read only = no writeable = yes browseable = yes create mask = 0770 force create mode = 0770 locking = yes Nothing but more shares with identical settings below here.[/quote] Did I set something wrong or what?

EDIT: I just noticed that it shows up like it should on my Surface RT's network folder, so the problem seems to be just on Windows' end on my main machine.

:)

Roadsguy, Jan 13, 2016

2. Windows 10 November Update - cannot see other network devices

The most persistent news I have on these issues is that my Linux Samba server still does not show in the Network Neighborhood on the Windows 10 machines.

My home network (Workgroup) consists of 2 desktops, 1 laptop and 1 Surface Pro 3 all on the latest Windows 10 1511 build. And 1 Linux machine that I upgraded this week to Fedora 23 and Samba 4.3.1.

The Linux machine also serves as the WINS server and a VPN server. Thus offering remote access to the Windows based shares.

After the upgrading of the Windows machines several weird and peculiar connectivity problems turned up. Machines not showing, not able to connect to shares, printers (wired to the Linux machine) not reachable. Long waits on restoring persistent shares mapping
    to drives.

I'd subsequently checked, reset and/or reconfigured all networking related settings like hostnames, workgroup name, protocol settings, etc.

End of the story is that everything is working as it should without any serious issues.

From the Linux machine I can access all the Windows based hosts and shares again. And all Windows 10 machines are shown to be part of the Windows Network.

Windows 10 machines now do show in each others Network Neighborhood. Persistent share to drive mappings work as a charm again. No gibberish output for nbtstat -r anymore. Also the Linux host, share and printers can be reached by name from all my machines
    again.

I did not disable any SMB version setting anywhere. I do even expect everything is communicating based on the latest SMB v3.11 level which is supported by the now installed Samba 4.3.1.

Perhaps here a huge benefit having a home made Linux based 'NAS' which gives maximum flexibility in upgrading and configuring. Could be much different from NAS devices with much older Samba releases embedded.

As said. The only persisting minor issue is the Linux Samba server not being visible in the Windows 10 Network Neighborhood.

HenkWittingen, Jan 13, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Nov Update and the Network Issues that Ensued.

>>Disabling SAMBA V3 causes a loss of network connectivity to the Win 10 machines on the network.

FWIW that has not been the case at my end after making the change I suggested (and have implemented myself).

All connectivity to the other win10 computers on my network is just fine (to both those computers in which I implemented the change as well as those in which did not)

AlexisMontenegro, Jan 13, 2016
  4. Railtech Win User

Problem is with Windows 10 networking. Apparently Win 10 does not broadcast NetBT over a LAN when searching for devices on the local network. What is being broadcast is WSD requests. This is causing a problem with devices reporting themselves which in turn means they are not discover-able. The best temporary fix I have found is to create a shortcut to the problem devices on those having the issue of not seeing them. This way you will have quick access to the devices and can delete the shortcuts once a fix has been released.

Railtech, Jan 14, 2016
  5. Roadsguy Win User
    Well that's pretty much what I've been doing in the meantime, as well as mapping network drives.

Is the lack of NetBT requesting a known bug or a dropped feature?

Roadsguy, Jan 14, 2016
  6. DoItJust Win User
    It's a bug in the SMB implementation introduced in v10586. It's fixed in the current insider preview and is scheduled for the public in March.
    Another workaround is to disable SMB 2/3 as the bug does not affect SMB1

DoItJust, Jan 14, 2016
  7. Railtech Win User
    Disabling SMB 2/3 can introduce other unwanted behavior, careful there.

Railtech, Jan 14, 2016
  8. linw Win User

My NAS box is not on my network (being returned for warranty replacement) so can you please confirm both NAS and win shares are fine now with 11099?

Certainly, the win shares seem OK on my network now both from 11099 AND 10586 comps. However, net view gives the 1231 error on the two 10586 comps but works OK on the two 11099 comps. However, if a 10586 is the master browser, net view is OK!

Looks like some light at the end of the tunnel?

linw, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Samba machine not showing in Network folder - Similar Threads - Samba machine showing

2. Network adapter not showing in folder and not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network adapter not showing in folder and not working.: I was trying to make virtual machine adapter work but every time while creating network adapter i had same error. On youtube i found a guide and person suggested using “netcfg -d” and it worked for him.In my case it broke all adapters exept virtual once.They show in device...
  3. Network adapter not showing in folder and not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network adapter not showing in folder and not working.: I was trying to make virtual machine adapter work but every time while creating network adapter i had same error. On youtube i found a guide and person suggested using “netcfg -d” and it worked for him.In my case it broke all adapters exept virtual once.They show in device...
  4. Samba network printer not discoverable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samba network printer not discoverable: i have been playing a lot with my raspberry pi 4 recently and i tried converting my old printer into a network printer using cups and samba. for some reason when i pull up settings or control panel its nowhere to be seen, i have checked it with other devices such as a phone...
  5. Challenge connecting to a Samba share from a Windows 10 machine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Challenge connecting to a Samba share from a Windows 10 machine: Hi have a share on a Linux box Fedora 31: "\\192.168.1.51\Scanned" My HP printer can scan to this share and so I can confirm that I know it is working no authentication is required. From my Windows machine I can ping the Linux box 192.168.1.51. However I cannot browse to...
  6. Network Map not showing all network machines

Network Map not showing all network machines: I have just upgraded 4 W7 machines to W10 to add to our 8 pc LAN. On checking the network map only the same 3 of the 8 are showing. I have pinged with IP and name and obtained a result, also checked advanced sharing settings and all correct and same as existing machines. The...
  7. Network drive not showing up (Samba)

Network drive not showing up (Samba): Windows 10 x64 14393.479 External USB drive ethernet connected to my router, Samba enabled. Recently I freshly installed Windows 10. Before that whilst the pre-anniversery version, the external drive showed up under 'Network' in the Explorer tree and I could create folders...
  8. Samba Shares don't show up in Windows 10 Network

Samba Shares don't show up in Windows 10 Network: I have a peculiar Samba share issue. I was running Windows 7 on my laptop. I have a file server running Linux and Samba. When I open the Network icon in Windows 7, I see my server there and I can open it and access the associated folder shares. I upgraded to Windows 10....
  9. Network Samba Problems Please Help

Network Samba Problems Please Help: ok here is my situation. I reformatted clean install on my desktop. Had some hiccups but everything ok. I use in the living room this streaming box from element company,love this box. Anyway after i share with everyone this folder for movies, everything was working great with...
  10. Win10ProN cannot connect to samba network share

Win10ProN cannot connect to samba network share: Hey folks, I've got an issue that's been bugging me since windows 7. I've got a debian server on my network running samba and plex. I usually add media to it through samba from my windows computers. Only now with my laptop, I'm having a strange issue. Every time I try to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ubuntu samba pc now showing up in network

2. samba shares not showing in network view