Windows 10: Same product key for all?

Discus and support Same product key for all? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Ok I decided I would undergo some testing & I whipped out some unused laptops with windows 7 home on them. I upgraded all 5 to windows 10. I used a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by VsUK1981, Aug 1, 2015.

1. VsUK1981 Win User

Same product key for all?

Ok I decided I would undergo some testing & I whipped out some unused laptops with windows 7 home on them. I upgraded all 5 to windows 10. I used a program called produkey to show me my product key with network disabled for safety. Well it displayed internet explorer product key # which is my windows 7 key then windows 10 key. On all 5 laptops the windows 10 key is identical. The product id are different but the product key are all the same.

Who else has product keys ending with 3V66T? This whole experience has left me wondering if MS know exactly what their doing because I'm starting to wonder if this supposed Free Upgrade doesn't have some hidden catches!

:)

VsUK1981, Aug 1, 2015

2. Same Product Key for Multiple Devices

I have the same problem ..

what happens if you have to reinstall your windows 10 ? will Microsoft tell you this key is already used on another pc.

stephendavidson_872, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Same Product Key for Multiple Devices

That is a generic product key used to install Windows 10 on your three computers and several million other ones. Activation of those three computers and any others were done by sending the specific hardware information about each computer to Microsoft
    Activation Servers.

Dan1986ist, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

the Pro keys and the Home keys are all the same..

Kyhi, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Gary Win User
    They are all the same because it is a free upgrade.

Gary, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Didn't know about that program? Download it to see it. Thanks for the advice! In deed we all have the same.

MikeMecanic, Aug 1, 2015
  7. So after upgrading, if one were to do a clean install on the same hardware, I'm guessing a new license key would be issued?

GatsbyGlen, Aug 1, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

Nope, you would get the same key. It has little or nothing to do with activation, that is all handled at the Microsoft server end where it checks you information collected when you upgraded with what you have now with a clean install.

At least that's how I understand it.

Edit: The only way you get a new key is to purchase a retail version.

Ztruker, Aug 1, 2015
  9. Good to know - thanks for the info.

GatsbyGlen, Aug 1, 2015
  10. cminc Win User
    For Virtual Machines looks like they all finish with 6MT6Y

cminc, Sep 1, 2015
  11. drdoug Win User
    Not quite, you are never given one. What you need to do is download the exact copy of windows 10 that is on your pc and install it and skip any part that asks for the key. The windows servers have your pc config registered and will auto activate your fresh install.

If you have changed your motherboard or processor you will need to contact them. It will not work on a different win 10 version, even a minor difference.

To get the copy of the correct install media go to
    Windows 10
    download the tool run it (it is from the microsoft site) and follow the prompts. Oddly you select that you want media for another pc, but you will then see that you tick the auto select box to get the correct version and it tells about this being the one you need so a new key is not required.

When you make the media it may fail because of your anti-virus not letting it create auto run on the media.
    This happened to me, so I had to disable my anti-virus and then turn defender off as it turned on automatically after I disabled the AV.

The way this works means you need to download the media NOW. This is incase your hdd crashs and you can't get it later. I have had to do it for 6 family computers, happily 8gb usb sticks are cheap (you only need 4gb but try and find one, lol)

drdoug, Dec 16, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    You replied to a 15 month old post!

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Same product key for all? - Similar Threads - Same product key

2. Windows Product BIOS Key and Windows Product Registry key should they be the same?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Product BIOS Key and Windows Product Registry key should they be the same?: Hi,My question is Windows Product BIOS Key and Windows Product Registry key should they be the same?What if the Windows Product BIOS key is differ from the Windows Product Registry key?Also should we keep Windows Product key some where safe or in case of loss we can obtain...
  3. Windows Product BIOS Key and Windows Product Registry key should they be the same?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Product BIOS Key and Windows Product Registry key should they be the same?: Hi,My question is Windows Product BIOS Key and Windows Product Registry key should they be the same?What if the Windows Product BIOS key is differ from the Windows Product Registry key?Also should we keep Windows Product key some where safe or in case of loss we can obtain...
  4. Product ID changed after entering the same Product key in the same PC

Product ID changed after entering the same Product key in the same PC: Hi,My product ID changed after entering the same product Key which is XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-3V66T on the same PC. So is there any way to get my Product ID back?...
  5. Same product keys after reinstallation using same installer

Same product keys after reinstallation using same installer: Hello, Whenever we install/reinstall the units OS Windows 10 PRO with OLP installer/Product Key, It does not activate automatically unless you key in the product key. But whenever we reinstall it using WIN10 Pro Retailer installer and used OLP Product Key it will activate...
  6. Using the same product key twice?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using the same product key twice?: I've been thinking of making a new PC using Windows 10. I have a laptop that was once running Windows 7, but then got the free update to Windows 10 a couple years ago. Would I be able to transfer the Windows 10 key to a different computer and make it activated? If so, how?...
  7. Same Product IDs, Different Keys

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Same Product IDs, Different Keys: Hello, We have two Lenovo P330 Windows 10 Pro boxes with embedded keys. After setting up one of the units, we decided to clone it to the other new PC. The activation worked without issues, and I'm seeing the proper keys, but the product IDs are matching. This is causing...
  8. The BitLocker recovery key it's the same as the product key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The BitLocker recovery key it's the same as the product key?: Hi, if I need to restart my pc in safe mode and I need Bitlocker recovery key, it's the same as the product key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-bitlocker-recovery-key-its-the-same-as-the/5be074de-5f22-4814-8f80-3e5d4cc5aa2e
  9. 2 Machines on same Product Key

2 Machines on same Product Key: Hi there, I have a very... interesting problem. I bought an old Dell desktop computer a little while ago to run as a second machine for long calculations and other such things. I updated the OS to windows 10 (pro) from windows 7 (pro). It was working fine, and then I decided...
  10. Same product key on two PCs

Same product key on two PCs: Hi there. Within the last two days I upgraded a PC and a laptop to Windows 10 home as part of the free upgrade program. Just noticed tonight that Windows assigned the same product key to each PC. How is that possible? Why would Microsoft do that? I had no control over which...