Windows 10: Same product key on two PCs

Discus and support Same product key on two PCs in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there. Within the last two days I upgraded a PC and a laptop to Windows 10 home as part of the free upgrade program. Just noticed tonight that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by gallicbear, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Same product key on two PCs

Hi there. Within the last two days I upgraded a PC and a laptop to Windows 10 home as part of the free upgrade program. Just noticed tonight that Windows assigned the same product key to each PC. How is that possible? Why would Microsoft do that? I had no control over which key gets assigned.

:)

gallicbear, Jul 31, 2015
  2. DaveJYD Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade on two Devices - Same Product Key

I can see that I will not be able to get an answer to my question here, as I have been getting information from here that is very different from the information I got from Microsoft Tech Support when I called them on a similar yet unrelated issue concerning
    upgrading PCs. And as this is not the question here, I think I will need to go elsewhere to get the answer I am looking for. Good luck to everyone else.

DaveJYD, Jul 31, 2015
  3. astrowhiz Win User
    Windows 10 Upgrade on two Devices - Same Product Key

You need to check if you have Retail or OEM licences for Windows - run a command prompt and type
    slmgr.vbs /dlv and Enter.

OEM licenses are licensed to the machine so if you upgrade the motherboard or CPU it's not considered the same machine (RAM, graphics, hard drive are fine to replace though)

OEM licenses are generally cheaper.

Retail licenses are licensed to you so you can transfer it to a new machine. This used to entail a phone call to Microsoft but I believe it's been made easier with anniversary update if you have a Microsoft account as it will hold details of licenses you have.

I believe the reason that different machines have the same Product ID is that MS no longer use that ID to register the product. I assume you use the same Microsoft account to log into all of them?

If they are all activated the bottom line is the account should hold that info and it will come down to OEM vs Retail as to how you can upgrade. (This is the theory as far as I understand anyway

astrowhiz, Jul 31, 2015
  4. bagavan Win User

Same product key on two PCs

All PC upgraded to same version have identical key. Only the device ID is used for activation

bagavan, Jul 31, 2015
  5. Thanks, bagavan. When you say 'device ID', do you mean the original key, before the upgrade?

gallicbear, Jul 31, 2015
  6. bagavan Win User
    Nope.

The device id is the hardware profile of your computer.

bagavan, Jul 31, 2015
  7. I understand. Thank you, bagavan.

gallicbear, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Same product key on two PCs

1. Same product key on two PCs - Similar Threads - Same product key

2. Two PCs running the same License somehow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two PCs running the same License somehow.: Hello,I recently built a second PC and I bought a physical Windows 11 License. During the installation process by Installation media, I was required to provide the license key but the physical key did not ship yet, so I continued without a key and finished the installation.To...
  3. Two PCs running the same License somehow.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two PCs running the same License somehow.: Hello,I recently built a second PC and I bought a physical Windows 11 License. During the installation process by Installation media, I was required to provide the license key but the physical key did not ship yet, so I continued without a key and finished the installation.To...
  4. Two PCs, same login, both PCs as admins.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two PCs, same login, both PCs as admins.: Hi, Very simple question I have a PC which is a 3 year old PC as a “hand me down” scenario. The old account from the previous user who is a family member is still on the computer and did not remove it before giving it to me. I don’t use this one as I use my own. When using...
  5. Two PCs, same login, both PCs as admins.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two PCs, same login, both PCs as admins.: Hi, Very simple question I have a PC which is a 3 year old PC as a “hand me down” scenario. The old account from the previous user who is a family member is still on the computer and did not remove it before giving it to me. I don’t use this one as I use my own. When using...
  6. Can I Swap Windows 10 Product Keys between two PCs?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I Swap Windows 10 Product Keys between two PCs?: Hi I have two PCs one with Windows 10 home and the other with Windows 10 pro. Is it possible to swap the product key for the Windows 10 home PC with the Windows 10 pro PC and vice versa? Would this delete any documents/etc from either PC? Thank you in advance for your help...
  7. I have two product keys to same Microsoft account on two different machines

I have two product keys to same Microsoft account on two different machines: Hello,I have two product keys to same Microsoft account on two different machines one on my laptop and one on my PC, is it OK?i mean i log in with my same Microsoft account on my two different computers one windows home and one windows pro ....
  8. Windows 10 Product Key on Two Bootable Drives Sharing the Same Product Key?

Windows 10 Product Key on Two Bootable Drives Sharing the Same Product Key?: Hi Situation: I have a 10 years old laptop that came with HDD Windows 7 Vista I still have the sticker key on Vista but it doesn't work on Win 10. At the same time I installed a separate drive SSD and installed Windows 7 using my university's enterprise product key Don't...
  9. Two Computers Activated With The Same Product Key

Two Computers Activated With The Same Product Key: I upgraded mine from Windows 10 Home, to Windows 10 Pro. Windows was oringally installed as fresh on both computers. Bother computers had their own product key. I have two Windows 7 Ultimate key, which I used to upgrade my Windows 10. Yesterday, while working on my Sister's...
  10. Shared folders with same accounts on two PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared folders with same accounts on two PCs: If I have an administrator account on two PCs on my local network, both with the same names and passwords, shouldn't they be able to have the same access on each other's PCs? For example, if I have a shared folder \\PC1\Folder and the local account Bob with the password...