Windows 10: Same user account twice on login screen

Discus and support Same user account twice on login screen in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a very weird situation going on on my login screen: basically, the username appears twice and, if I click on the second 'username', I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Russolanotte, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Same user account twice on login screen

Hi all,

I have a very weird situation going on on my login screen: basically, the username appears twice and, if I click on the second 'username', I get a different login screen but it logs into the same account anyway?
    I have taken a couple of screenshots, as they better describe my issue.

Can anyone shed some light here?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
    -R

:)

Russolanotte, Jan 29, 2018

2. How to disable autologin after upgrade to Windows 10

Before upgrading to Windows 10, I had a user account (non-administrator) set to autologin to Windows7 for my home desktop.

During the upgrade, I allowed this non-administrative user account to be converted to my Microsoft account and selected a PIN to login locally. Upgrade was successful and login to administrative and user account works fine.

However, when I reboot Windows 10 tries to login to my former local account which, of course, fails because the password is no longer valid.

The former user account and new PIN account have the same username, i.e. *** Email address is removed for privacy *** so I see the same account twice on the reboot screen - once for old local password login; once for new PIN login.

Cannot find anywhere in Windows 10 to disable auto-login for the account. Ran the Windows 7 "netplwiz" utility and my account *** Email address is removed for privacy *** shows up twice but does not allow me to change the auto-login parameter anymore.

"net user" shows old account; doesn't seem to show login with Microsoft account.

This is more of a nuisance since after reboot, I can then login with my new PIN enabled account but I would like to get rid of the unnecessary attempt to autologin with my old password.

Any ideas on how to disable the old autologin from Windows 10?

Richard1076, Jan 29, 2018
  3. Neilisin Win User
    File Association (keeps returning)

Hi Keith, new user account so far so good (only logged in twice). Manually set the first login a default app and second login remains the same. Will persist in checking in forthcoming days for any changes.

Many thanks

Neil

Neilisin, Jan 29, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

Same user account twice on login screen

Try running netplwiz and toggle on/off/on/off the setting "Users must enter a password" for your user "David" rebooting in between.

Just hold down the *Start key, press R and type netplwiz

Same user account twice on login screen [​IMG]

This happens sometimes if you convert your user to or from a MS account.

In any case it seems to reset it whatever the cause.

5. Hi lx07,

Thank you for your kind reply.

I've tried to do that a few times and no joy, I'm afraid :-/

I don't think this user ever was a M$ account, the cause must be elsewhere but I have no idea at all as to what it could be..

Cheers

Russolanotte, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Same user account twice on login screen

1. Same user account twice on login screen - Similar Threads - Same user account

2. remove user account in login screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    remove user account in login screen: Hello, My windows 10 was set up originally with a local user account. Later I added my online account and deleted the local account from "control panel". So now there is only one account online account under "control panel->user accounts". I wanted to set up auto login from...
  3. User account missing from login screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account missing from login screen: I cant log in to my main user profile. Previously I had an issue where I was getting notifications saying to set up Windows Hello, although I already had a pin, and when I tried to create a pin, it would ask for my pin to verify identity then the window would just close....
  4. User account missing from login screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User account missing from login screen: I cant log in to my main user profile. Previously I had an issue where I was getting notifications saying to set up Windows Hello, although I already had a pin, and when I tried to create a pin, it would ask for my pin to verify identity then the window would just close....
  5. User accounts / login screen

User accounts / login screen: Hello, I have two issues and I suspect they are related. I am using Windows 10 version 1909. Ultimately, I want to disable the login screen when starting windows. I have unchecked the box that asks for a password under netplwiz, and unchecked the box for password login...
  6. User accounts / login screen

in Windows 10 Support
    User accounts / login screen: Hello, I have two issues and I suspect they are related. I am using Windows 10 version 1909. Ultimately, I want to disable the login screen when starting windows. I have unchecked the box that asks for a password under netplwiz, and unchecked the box for password login...
  7. Twice "Other user" login after updates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Twice "Other user" login after updates: Hi there, I am having this particular issue which shows me (and for other collegues after last win10 updates) a double "other user" at login windows. Those PCs are bounded to domain, and everyone is encountering this issue. Build 17763.503 Ask if more info are needed....
  8. Same address twice in User Accounts

Same address twice in User Accounts: Using Netplwiz, I notice in my User Accounts I have the same User Name twice. Actually it is the same email address twice. Both are administrators under Group. My question is, can I remove one of those without having my computer going into meltdown. Please advise. 33117
  9. Remove user account pic at login screen

Remove user account pic at login screen: I thought I read somewhere how to do this but can't find it anymore. Anyway, I want to remove the user account pic at the login screen. Not change it but remove it completely so all I have is a clean background (I've already removed the background picture and set it to a...
  10. Account picture showing twice during login

in Windows 10 Support
    Account picture showing twice during login: Hey guys, So i ran the netplwiz command in order to remove the option of requiring a password on login every time the computer boots, but now its showing my account picture twice on the welcome screen during login. It's not really a big issue but its more so a...