Windows 10: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Software Support for WIN 10

Discus and support Samsung 850 Pro SSD Software Support for WIN 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have Win 10 (10240) installed and a new Samsung 850 Pro SSD to install. The current versions of the Samsung supplied software, Magician 4.6 (I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by vcbacon, Jul 27, 2015.

1. vcbacon Win User

Samsung 850 Pro SSD Software Support for WIN 10

I have Win 10 (10240) installed and a new Samsung 850 Pro SSD to install.
    The current versions of the Samsung supplied software, Magician 4.6 (I downloaded this because the one supplied with the SSD wasn't the current one) and Data Migration 2.7 don't recognize the SSD.
    I've tried everything I can think of.

Does anyone know when Samsung with update their software to support Win10?

:)

vcbacon, Jul 27, 2015

2. When upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, update fails and I get 80070002-20009 error

This failed installation was on a cloned ssd with win 8.1 Pro. I used the Samsung Migration software to copy my 8.1 installation on another ssd in my computer. I have 4 ssd physical drives. Only my latest one a Samsung 850 EVO has had this failure issue
    with win 10. The other drives had successful installations of win 10 Pro. But I believe at least one other drive was cloned also. So I really can't be sure the cloning is the issue.

Ira Wechsler, Jul 27, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade killed my SSD (ASUS P8P67 Deluxe)

I would consider reloading the ssd firmware. Use the Samsung Magician Software they

recommend.

Samsung V-NAND SSD | Samsung Semiconductor Official Site

I would also reload the chipset drivers from Asus. Find the correct motherboard.

RAMPAGE IV EXTREME Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS Global

Samsung ssd 850 on Windows 10:

Samsung 850 Pro SSD Software Support for WIN 10 Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Enable ACHI mode:

Attn. SSD owners - Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation. Solved - Windows 10 Forums

You will most likely need to use another computer to repair the hard drive. In disk management,

select check hard drive for errors and repair. (or right click hard drive in File Manager and select properties)

Andrew P Jones, Jul 27, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

No but I hope they do soon. After I upgrade(for real this time and not a preview) I'll miss RAPID Mode both my Samsung Pro's until the update.

Cliff S, Jul 27, 2015
  5. vcbacon Win User
    I hope when someone finds out about new Samsung software which will work with Win10, they'll let me know.

vcbacon, Jul 27, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Your 850 Pro will work just fine in Windows 10, and requires no special software to use. The Magician software just fine-tunes it, and installs the rapid mode driver, which isn't required to use the SSD. Just install Windows 10 on the SSD and wait for the magician software to be updated.

Mystere, Jul 27, 2015
  7. vcbacon Win User
    First, one of the reasons why the 850 wasn't recognized is that it wasn't formatted!
    I needed to got to Control Panel, System and Administrative Properties, Computer Management, Storage and initialize and format the drive.

Now Win 10 sees the drive.
    Magician 4.6 sees it too but won't let me check any properties.
    Data Migration 2.7 sees my "C" drive but won't let me select the 850 to migrate to.
    It still doesn't work.

Now I want to clone my "C" drive and make it bootable so I can replace my 1TB HD.
    What are your recommendations for the best way to do this?

vcbacon, Jul 28, 2015
  8. Nemix Win User

Samsung Magician is expected to be updated to support Windows 10 be patient.

EVO 850/840 are still fairly new, both uses Samsung Magician software and both are selling like hotcakes; I'm 100% certain Samsung is working on a Magician software compatible with Windows 10.

Nemix, Jul 28, 2015
  9. swarfega Win User
    I personally won't be using magician until it specifies that it supports Windows 10.

swarfega, Jul 28, 2015
  10. vcbacon Win User
    Today I successfully installed Win10 on a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro.
    Formatting the 850 took an hour or so.
    I cleaned up my "C" drive, defragged it, backed it up and got it tuned up for cloning. (another couple of hours)
    I ended up using Marcrium Reflect Disk Imaging and Backup to clone my "C" drive drive.
    That took another hour or so.

Opening up the old computer was interesting.
    It was really dusty inside, but a can of Blowoff really came in handy.
    I knew I'd have to remove the Nvidia Geoforce 560 video card before I could remove hard drives.
    My case, a Powerspec, was packed tightly with 4 1.5 TB hard drives and other gear.
    I found the hard drives were attached from both sides of the cage so I had to remove attachments on both sides to get at them.
    It was tricky maneuvering things around,
    I removed 2 of the hard drive closest to the top and replaced one with a new 4TB Western Digital Black.
    Above it I placed the converter tray with the 850 Pro in it.

Then I reconnecting everything and carefully replaced the video card.
    After plugging things in, with the sides still removed, I meekly pushed the power button.
    To my amazement Win 10 came upon the first try!
    I had to go back the the Bios to set up the 850 as the boot disk.
    Then I had to go to Computer Management, storage and set up the 4TB drive with the correct letter designation.
    Replaced the sides and front and then I was good to go!
    I have to thank the guys who used to work for now defunct Microcenter in Santa Clara for teaching me the ins and outs of managing and getting around a computer.
    *Smile
    My boot time on the 850 is now about 1.5-2 minutes.
    Thank you all for your help!

vcbacon, Jul 29, 2015
  11. The newest version of Magician (version 4.6) doesn't work with Windows 10, but the older version 4.4 does; you'll have all the functionality back, including Rapid mode.

Just make sure you don't update or uninstall v4.4 once Rapid mode is enabled (without disabling Rapid mode first.... assuming Samsung eventually updates the app compatibility flag/code so we can update). *Smile

chrisnyc75, Aug 7, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    And it probably only takes that long because of the additional drive and peripherals BIOS/UEFI have to read.*Smile One of the reasons my laptop boots faster than my desktop(Samsung 840 pro 128 & 256 respectively)

Cliff S, Aug 7, 2015
  13. HawkeEye Win User

After converting to a Samsung 850 Pro and having it run for a week I would wait. The drive suddenly decided it would not boot and there was no way to get around it. Fortunately I still had my old hard drive and could go back. These are not ready for prime time yet, so save yourself time and effort. I just wasted a week of my life trying to make it work for nothing. But a PC with it already installed.

HawkeEye, Aug 9, 2015
  14. All drives can fail. Did you ask for a replacement?

I have a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD with Windows 10 Pro installed and it works flawlessly. I did not install Magician because I have heard it is not designed for Windows 10 and it may cause problems. I will install it when Samsung has it fixed for Windows 10.

alkaufmann, Aug 10, 2015
  15. neomatter Win User
    The problem with SSDs is that they do not give any warning when they fail. Still won't stop me from getting another strictly as an OS boot drive.

The Crucial MX100 that replaced it does give me a few headaches though. The drive would disappear and cause a BSOD. The only remedy to that is to do a complete shut down, disconnect/reconnect the SATA cable and power it back on.

neomatter, Aug 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Samsung 850 Pro SSD Software Support for WIN 10 - Similar Threads - Samsung 850 Pro

2. Samsung 850 Pro SSD installed - Optimisation not available?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung 850 Pro SSD installed - Optimisation not available?: I acquired a Samsumng 850 Pro anc copied my HDD to it. Booted with new SSD installed, and ran "winsat formal" Rebooted and went to Drive C:/Properties/Tools and selected "Optimise" [img] As you can see it says I can't optimise the drive! Samsung Magician says Trim is...
  3. Samsung SSD 850 Evo Performance

Samsung SSD 850 Evo Performance: I recently bought a Samsung SSD 850 Evo which i cannected to my MS Surface Pro 2 running Windows 10 Pro using a Type C usb Sabrent Cablrle. After formatting the drive i tried to invoke Rapid Mode but failed. The Magician software does not allow me to do so. I have downgraded...
  4. Locked Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Locked Samsung 850 EVO SSD: Hello! If this has been answered before, please point me to the appropriate thread. Last night we were checking old hardware in our Service Department long abandoned from our customers (more than 8 months). Among them there was a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD 2.5" SATA. I...
  5. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB - NEW FIRMWARE

Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB - NEW FIRMWARE: [img] 79508
  6. Samsung SSD 850 EVO problems

Samsung SSD 850 EVO problems: Hi, I run the Samsung Magician, and in its System Information, stated AHCI Mode is Deactivated and SATA Interface is unable to be detected. How to resolve this, please help? Thank you guys! [img] 74257
  7. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB DRIVERS ??

Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB DRIVERS ??: Samsung Magician 5.0 claims System NOT Compatible. Drivers need update. t to URL they said to go, tried several drivers, but almost all are for RAID !! [img] 79484
  8. Is my SSD Samsung Evo 850 failing?

Is my SSD Samsung Evo 850 failing?: Hello. My SSD: Ssd Samsung Evo 850 250 GB, motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 UEFI, So i want to write about my issues with Windows 10 just before format, when i was on MBR partition. I want to be sure that my SSD is fine or not. So listen. Windows 10 get somehow...
  9. Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Samsung SSD 850 EVO: [img] About This Product Upgrade virtually every aspect of your computer’s performance with Samsung’s new 850 EVO, designed with state-of-the-art SSD advancements including 3D V-NAND technology. As the next generation beyond the bestselling 840 EVO, you’ll get the...
  10. Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB

in Windows 10 Support
    Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB: I have a Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB and while I had been using it on my laptop with Windows 7 everything had been running ok even the Rapid mode, but when I updated to Windows 10, I am getting this error : Rapid mode is in inactive state due to system internal errors. Please...