Windows 10: Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed

Discus and support Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello , not sure if this is the right place for this. Is there anyway to tell if I am getting the max speed out of my ssd? I have a feeling it's not. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pablo239, May 28, 2017.

1. pablo239 Win User

Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed

Hello , not sure if this is the right place for this. Is there anyway to tell if I am getting the max speed out of my ssd? I have a feeling it's not. I double checked, I installed the nvme drivers, have the latest firmware. I have drive indexing turned off. I ran the Magician benchmark utility and for the result this is what I got:

Sequential (MB/s) Read: 2,791 Write: 1,934
    Random(IOPS) Read:338,080 Write: 338,892

Screenshot:

Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed [​IMG]

Can anyone check to see if it's normal?

:)

pablo239, May 28, 2017

2. Windows 10 Anniversary update for 32GB eMMC budget laptops?

I have a NUC with i5 processor Bought with 2G Ram and 32G emmc. I had no problem with upgrading to 128G and 4G. I copied the installed emmc using a usb reader to a

Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed [​IMG]

Samsung 250GB 960 Evo M.2 SSD

and samsungs proprietory program to copy installed emmc to samsung then swapped in new hdd no worries afert that

Perhaps ditching your 32G emmc is an answer?

AnthonyGaskin, May 28, 2017
  3. Cortana "Notebook" tab is slow to load.

Especially the first time it's accessed after a fresh boot. Is there any way to speed up access? For reference, My OS is installed on a 500GB samsung 960 pro SSD, on an Asus Hero IX MB, with 32GB of RAM and an i7 7700k processor, with no GPU yet, and aside
    from Cortana's "notebook" tab, there isn't any lag in any of my software. I do use "Classic Shell" start menu application (and only the start menu application), but I'm not sure if it would cause a conflict with Cortana or not.

Sebastian Hahn, May 28, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

The rated speeds for that particular drive are Read speed: 3500 MB/s and Write speed: 2100 MB/s. There could be a number of factors at play here which reduce the performance, such as the motherboard and the number of graphics cards you have.

Does your motherboard have two m.2 slots? If so check the manual for which is the best one to use. One affects sata in that usually one sata connection is disabled, the other slot affects pci lanes.

You're still getting speeds above that of traditional sata 3 based SSDs, which has to be good.

swarfega, May 28, 2017
  5. pablo239 Win User
    My motherboard , Gigabyte GA-X99 Ultra gaming only has one slot I could use, it is nvme compatible. And I am only using 1 graphics card. Is it possible the CPU could be bottlenecking the SSD ? Maybe there are other things in Windows or the BIOS i need to change?

GA-X99-Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE

pablo239, May 28, 2017
  6. EliteData Win User
    i have the same exact storage media.
    here are the results with the latest software/firmware/drivers currently in use as of 5/31/17.
    this is Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit on a Origin PC EON17-SLX10 computer.
    i have better results using the NVME driver from Microsoft though the NVME driver from Samsung performs nearly identical as the Microsoft NVME driver, there are slight differences.
    the Microsoft NVME driver offers slightly better results for sequential reads/writes while the Samsung NVME driver offers slightly better results for random IOPS.
    the screen captures below were taken using the Microsoft NVME driver.

EliteData, May 30, 2017
  7. badrobot Win User
    What motherboard do you have?

You have to make sure that your M.2 slot is Gen3 x4. Anything less will not yield maximum performance.
    On some motherboards, even though the M.2 slot is x4 interface, if it's sharing bandwidth with other hardware via PCIe or SATA that are in use, you won't get maximum performance on the M.2 slot.
    In the same way, your PCIe hardware (like the GPU) will not reach it's peak performance if it's sharing bandwidth with the M.2 SSD slot in use.

But you know what, you won't even feel the difference with your current speeds so you can just leave it at that.

badrobot, May 30, 2017
  8. EliteData Win User

the OP said his MB is a "Gigabyte GA-X99".
    checking the specs on it:
    "PCIe x2/x1 SSD support"
    "Only AHCI mode is supported when an M.2 PCIe SSD device is installed"
    so it appears the limiting factor is the MB.

EliteData, May 30, 2017
  9. badrobot Win User
    He actually has a bad ass mobo.. It's an ultra gaming x99 mobo which also depends on the model of the CPU.

badrobot, May 30, 2017
  10. EliteData Win User
    not disputing that it is a "bad ass" MB, but disputing the specs for M.2/PCIe unless im not reading it right.

EliteData, May 30, 2017
  11. badrobot Win User
    There are several models for that mobo and you were looking at the wrong one.

badrobot, May 30, 2017
  12. pparks1 Win User
    Hmmm, the GA-X99-Ultra apparently does support x4 so that should be fine.

I've read of others who don't get max speed reported from Samsung Magician, but CrystalDiskMark shows speeds much closer to the max.

pparks1, May 30, 2017
  13. EliteData Win User

youre right, i rushed into looking at the specs.
    "1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 PCIe x4/x2 SSD support)"
    i would suggest the OP try different benchmarking software to see if the results are consistent or varied but i suspect other issues.

EliteData, May 30, 2017
  14. pablo239 Win User
    As it says on the MB page , Nvme x4 is supported. Could it be possible the CPU could be limiting it? However I doubt it. Maybe there is a setting in Windows/BIOS to change. Like is it necessary to have drive indexing off, or write cache buffering, etc? I havent tried using Crystal disk yet , but I will update it when I get the results.

pablo239, May 31, 2017
  15. pablo239 Win User
    Here are the results of CrystalDiskMark:

Attachment 137761

pablo239, Jun 2, 2017
Thema:

1. Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed - Similar Threads - Samsung 960 Pro

2. Ethernet not reaching max speeds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet not reaching max speeds: We recently switch form provider, because we have fiber internet now. But for some reason I don't reach the 1Gbps speed using ethernet. The problem isn't with our provider see figure 1 and 2. The ethernet cable isn't the problem either, I first used a cat 5e cable and...
  3. Cpu not at max speed and capped.

Cpu not at max speed and capped.: I have a intel i9 11900F and apparently it can go up to like 5GHz but when I bench it its capped at 4.7GHz. How do I also make it so it's always max speed? Sometimes when I'm using it it's only 2.8-3.5GHz...
  4. WIFI 5G max speed

WIFI 5G max speed: Hello,I have a HP laptop 250 G7 Notebook pcIntel Core i3-1005G1 CPU @ 1.20 GHzWireless network card: Realtek RTL8821 CE 802.11ac PCIe adapterS/N CND0335CNN8GB Ram Win 10 Home 64Recently I upgraded my home internet download speed from 200MB to 500MB and upload speed from 20mb...
  5. WIFI 5G max speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIFI 5G max speed: Hello,I have a HP laptop 250 G7 Notebook pcIntel Core i3-1005G1 CPU @ 1.20 GHzWireless network card: Realtek RTL8821 CE 802.11ac PCIe adapterS/N CND0335CNN8GB Ram Win 10 Home 64Recently I upgraded my home internet download speed from 200MB to 500MB and upload speed from 20mb...
  6. Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - 960 Series

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - 960 Series: ========================================================= UPDATED Feb.6th 2018 ========================================================= I am seeing reports on the Samsung Forums that the new 4Bxxxxx Firmware is not working for everyone with the 960 Pro or only works for...
  7. Samsung's 950 Pro SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung's 950 Pro SSD: Samsung gets a lot of love for its solid-state drives, which pack super-fast storage into small packages thanks to the company’s V-NAND technology—but its new drives crank things to 11. On Tuesday, Samsung announced 950 Pro M.2 SSDs that marry V-NAND density with blazing fast...
  8. Samsung 960 EVO NVMe performance...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Samsung 960 EVO NVMe performance...: My new system is based on the Asus Prime Z370-A MB, that has two PCIe (x4), M.2_1 and M.2_2. Both of the sockets are populated with Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250 GB M.2 cards. Windows 10 setup had selected the M.2_1 drive and installed without any issues. Windows 10 is up to...
  9. 960 evo nvme speed improvement

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    960 evo nvme speed improvement: I have a new system with a 960 evo nvme. The system bios is legacy. If i change the bios to uefi and change the mbr to gpt, would i gain any significant speed improvement with the nvme drive? Currently i am underwhelmed by the speed of the nvme in comparison to a 850 pro on...
  10. New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 News
    New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives: [img] Samsung Electronics, a worldwide leader in advanced memory solutions for more than two decades, today unveiled the Samsung 960 PRO and 960 EVO, its newest solid state drives (SSDs). The V-NAND based, M.2 form factor SSDs were built on the company’s category-defining...