Windows 10: Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Windows 10 If you PC crashes 2 times... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Windows 10

If you PC crashes 2 times consecutively or fails to boot, Windows 10 will run Automatic Repair by default during the next startup in an attempt to diagnose and fix your PC. This basically involves automatically running a startup repair.

If you prefer to manually repair you PC, you can disable the automatic repair feature. Disabling the automatic repair feature can also be helpful if you should get stuck in an infinite "preparing automatic repair" loop.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the automatic repair feature at boot in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be an administrator to enable or disable automatic repair.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Command Prompt at Boot
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Command Prompt in Windows 10

EXAMPLE: Startup Issue when Automatic Repair is Disabled

Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Windows 10 [​IMG]

EXAMPLE: Startup Issue when Automatic Repair is Enabled

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Command Prompt at Boot
    1. Open a command prompt at boot.

2. Type bcdedit into the command prompt at boot, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    A) Look under the Windows Boot Loader section for your Windows 10 (description), and make note of its identifier (ex: "{default}").

B) In this same section, make note if recoveryenabled is currently set to Yes (enabled) or No (disabled).

3. Enter the command below you want to use into the command prompt at boot, and press Enter. (see screenshot above)
    (Enable automatic repair - DEFAULT)
    bcdedit /set {identifier} recoveryenabled Yes

OR

(Disable automatic repair)
    bcdedit /set {identifier} recoveryenabled No

*note Substitute identifier in the command above with the actual identifier (ex: "{default}") from step 2 above for Windows 10.

For example: bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No
    4. When finished, close the command prompt at boot.

5. Click/tap on Continue to exit recovery and start Windows 10. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Command Prompt in Windows 10
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type bcdedit into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

3. Look under the Windows Boot Loader section for your Windows 10 (description), and make note of its identifier (ex: "{current}").

4. In this same section, make note if recoveryenabled is currently set to Yes (enabled) or No (disabled).

5. Enter the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot above)
    (Enable automatic repair - DEFAULT)
    bcdedit /set {identifier} recoveryenabled Yes

OR

(Disable automatic repair)
    bcdedit /set {identifier} recoveryenabled No

*note Substitute identifier in the command above with the actual identifier (ex: "{current}") from step 3 above for Windows 10.

For example: bcdedit /set {current} recoveryenabled No
    6. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 31, 2017

2. Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows 10 - automatic repair after memtest session - memory faulty or not?

So i formatted disk , install again Windows 10 , now Windows booting fine without automatic repair. But i tried to reproduce issue by running memtest86 again. So i run test for 5 hours, stop test and booted Windows 10. This time it booted fine without automatic repair. So i guess its fine. But i want to know why it happened earlier? That was still hardware issue? Thx for opinion. Somebody said that can be caused by bad ram.

litwicki24, Oct 26, 2019
  4. ram93 Win User

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Oct 26, 2019
  5. RCoon Win User
    RCoon, Oct 26, 2019
  6. mostyello Win User
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10  

Here is what I think we all want:

1. Notify only (never download or install without first allowing step 2)
    2. Allow easy option to deselect updates (especially drivers) that we don't want or would prefer to update manually.

Basically, give us back the Windows Update we had, or the same options.

I've read this tutorial and all the posts along with Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums and all the posts there.

I'm having a hard time putting all the comments together into a cohesive state so that I can create a behavior similar enough to the old Windows Update to make me happy. If anyone can provide a step by step to provide this, I would be much appreciative.

mostyello, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Automatic

2. Enable or Disable Xbox App Automatic Startup on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable Xbox App Automatic Startup on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]When installed on Windows, Apps can register themselves to launch as soon as you log in to your account. While this works for those apps which you need to be there, such as Screenshot taking tools, but apps that can be launched later can get annoying. The same is the...
  3. How to Enable or Disable Automatic Learning in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Automatic Learning in Windows 10: Microsoft along with many other tech giants is trying to make Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning adjust according to the user. Be its speech recognition, Automatic Learning, etc. Microsoft is trying to embed as many features in their Windows OS as they can....
  4. How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Windows Update in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Windows Update in Windows 10: Windows 10 will automatically check for new Windows Updates at the time you have set in automatic maintenance. Windows 10 will automatically download and install important and critical updates by default Some updates are not installed automatically. This includes optional...
  5. How do I enable automatic windows repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I enable automatic windows repair: 2 days ago I was browsing on my laptop but suddenly It crashed and I got the blue screen so I tried fixing it on my own by trying the possible options but none worked so I searched for a solution on youtube it was this one: https://youtu.be/Wor7mASx3ws Where I disabled...
  6. Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance to Wake Up Computer in Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance is when Windows automatically runs maintenance on a daily schedule when you're not using...
  7. Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with the Maps app preinstalled. Maps is your guide to everywhere. Find your way with voice navigation...
  8. Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance is when Windows automatically runs maintenance on a daily schedule when you're not using your computer. This includes...
  9. Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows 10 will automatically check for new Windows Updates at the time you have set in automatic maintenance. Windows...
  10. Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10 [img] Information A blue screen of death error (also called a stop error) can occur if a problem causes your PC to shut down or restart...