Windows 10: samsung external hdd drive HM251JI not detected

Discus and support samsung external hdd drive HM251JI not detected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hello, i have a samsung external 2.5" hdd drive HM251JI worked fine in Vistas, will not work on my new laptop which had windows 8.1 and now windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by chuzzler, Mar 17, 2017.

1. chuzzler Win User

samsung external hdd drive HM251JI not detected

hello, i have a samsung external 2.5" hdd drive HM251JI worked fine in Vistas, will not work on my new laptop which had windows 8.1 and now windows 10. I plug it into the usb the drive starts up and the blue led is on but it is not detected on my laptop, not in device manger so i cannot even try to update the driver. any help welcome thanks

:)

chuzzler, Mar 17, 2017
  2. SimonTFO Win User

File history won't detect external HHD

Hi,

I have an issue regarding Backup using File History.

I have an external HDD connected to my desktop with USB 3.0 that is not detected when I select "Add a drive".

The drive is visible though in file explorer and in device manager. I'm using the external HDD continuously without issues.

But when I'm trying to use it in File History it isn't detected.

I've tried the normal things like udate to latest software and frimware om both my computer and on my external HDD.

I've tried to restart both the computer and the external HHD.

I've tried to swtich to another USB-port, from I/O to USB-jacket.

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the external HDD.

I've also looked in advanced settings but same issue.

What more is there to try?

Regards,

Simon

SimonTFO, Mar 17, 2017
  3. JonGrimes Win User
    External SATA3 SSD to USB (512GB Crucial MX100 SSD) showing up as a Hard drive in Windows 10 Defragment and optimize drives?

It must be an issue with Windows 10 Control Panels' Defragment and Optimize drives inability to detect any SSD

placed into any external SATA 3 to USB 3.0 Storage device. For now, Windows 10 detection of an SSD seems limited

to internal SSDs' only.

I'm not concerned with lack of trim support since SSD trim is limited to Operating System drives

only & I use this external USB SSD for backups & additional storage. Don't worry about Windows 10 defragmenting & ruining your external USB SSD though because despite it being incorrectly detected as an HDD

the defragment drive feature doesn't seem to work on SSDs' that are designed to use their own internal garbage collection anyhow.

I've tried System Restore several times to correct this issue to no avail. The external USB SSD works and runs perfectly

despite Windows 10 detecting it as an HDD so I'm no longer concerned about this issue. Good luck!

JonGrimes, Mar 17, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum does it show in disk manager?

Samuria, Mar 17, 2017
  5. chuzzler Win User
    thank you, nice to be here, no does not show anyway

chuzzler, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. samsung external hdd drive HM251JI not detected - Similar Threads - samsung external hdd

2. Samsung SSD External Drive not Recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Samsung SSD External Drive not Recognised: Hi,I'm having issues with Windows 10 recognising my Samsung SSD T7 External SSD.My Linux PC and Android device are both able to recognise it. I have tried repartitioning on my linux machine with Fat32 and NTFS, but to no avail. Windows 10 version: 21H2The device is not...
  3. Samsung SSD External Drive not Recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Samsung SSD External Drive not Recognised: Hi,I'm having issues with Windows 10 recognising my Samsung SSD T7 External SSD.My Linux PC and Android device are both able to recognise it. I have tried repartitioning on my linux machine with Fat32 and NTFS, but to no avail. Windows 10 version: 21H2The device is not...
  4. Samsung SSD External Drive not Recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External HDD not detected in Windows

External HDD not detected in Windows: In Windows DiskPart say "Status: Invalid". How to fix it without data loss? The same external HDD works fine in Ubuntu but not detected in Windows. I had this HDD in computer and put it out of my computer because i have now only SSD's in computer. 182450
  6. External HDD not detected in Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD not detected in Windows: In Windows DiskPart say "Status: Invalid". How to fix it without data loss? The same external HDD works fine in Ubuntu but not detected in Windows. I had this HDD in computer and put it out of my computer because i have now only SSD's in computer. 182450
  7. detecting external drives

detecting external drives: Windows does not detect any of my external hard drives ADATA, WD Elements and Toshiba https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/detecting-external-drives/e186d6f7-ed91-414b-a346-0c98e671f6a4
  8. External HDD not detected

External HDD not detected: As I got the new Lenovo ideapad Miix 310, I tried to connect my 2.5inch Samsung M3 Portable to it, because I have some installation stuff on it. And while the HDD gets powered up and (usually) listed in Device Manager, it does not show in My Computer. It also doesn't show in...
  9. Samsung External Hard Drive

Samsung External Hard Drive: Hi Mates! I'm trying to change the name of my External Hard Drive as it appears as Local Disk G on my laptop. However, upon trying multiple times it keeps on coming back as Local Disk G. Please help. Thanks and have a nice day!!! 39995
  10. One drive on external hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    One drive on external hdd: My new computer has a tiny internal hdd so I want to put my one drive on my external hdd. How do I do that? By the way I just ordered the new computer so I do not have it yet. 89186