Windows 10: Samsung mSATA SSD only show 113/250 GB!?

Discus and support Samsung mSATA SSD only show 113/250 GB!? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; As the thread title states, my SSD is mysteriously missing a ton of space.. It is my C: drive with Windows 10 Pro installed on it. I put the SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NorthernDiver, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Samsung mSATA SSD only show 113/250 GB!?

As the thread title states, my SSD is mysteriously missing a ton of space..

It is my C: drive with Windows 10 Pro installed on it.

I put the SSD in, while using Windows7, anyway, I got Win 10 (clean install from scratch), Cloned from HDD to SSD, moved around the boot order (In BIOS the drive is called a Samsung EVO 250)

Only 113 of 250 showing. Where is all my space hiding!?

Figuring the paging and hibernation bits can't possibly account for 137Gb...?

Thanks kindly.

PS - I am terrible with technical computer stuff so please forgive my ignorance, it's just not my specialty. *Sad

:)

NorthernDiver, Jan 31, 2016
  2. PTXC Win User

INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after Windows 10 Anniversary Update on SSD with RAID

Hello!

I run a problem with INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after my notebook got the Windows 10 Anniversary Update last Tuesday (13 Sep 2016).

System:

Notebook Dell Latitude E7440

Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSATA 250 GB

No HDD or other extra devices are on board

When I got the notebook it had a 128 GB SSD disk on board with Windows 8.1.

Then (March 2016) I upgraded it to Windows 10, and then migrated to a bigger 256 GB SSD.

Everything worked fine till last Tue (13 Sept 2016) when my system got updated with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and the next day did not want to boot anymore.

So far I made the following findings:

It's surely neither the BIOS nor the hardware issue here since:

A) the BIOS settings were not altered since it was bought:

- Boot Sequence: Windows Boot Manager, UEFI: Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSATA 250 GB

- mSATA Operation: RAID on (although no RAID is actually mounted on the disk)

- Secure Boot enabled

B) The unbootable 256 GB SSD (Anniversay Updated) does not want to boot neither in STANDARD nor in SAFE MODE

while

C) the old 128 GB SSD boots its (non-Anniversary Upgraded) Windows 10 without any problem

Other observations:

1) The first attempt to repair the unbootable 256 GB SSD with the Windows USB Recovery Environment (Startup Repair) made it visible and accessible again as the file system (but still unbootable).

2) It is not possible to make any further REPAIR or to get back to the PREVIOUS BUILDS on that SDD with the Windows USB Recovery Environment.

3) The unbootable 256 GB SSD is visible and accessible via USB Windows Recovery Environment command prompt

and in the non-Anniversary Updated Windows 10 (when booted from the old 128 GB SSD) - (I can install both SSDs as the laptop has 2 x mSATA bays).

4) Any of the Googled solutions for startup issues to be solved with BOOTREC.EXE (with any switch) - while at command prompt from the USB Windows Recovery Environment did not work.

5) Neither CHDSK nor SFC scans brought any errors.

I could normally backup the data from the unbootable 256 GB SSD (I surely did) and re-install the complete system but due to some applications (and their data) that are already installed there - I cannot afford it and need to fight to somehow get this particular
    system back working.

I have heard that I'm not alone with this problem (unbootable SSDs after Windows 10 Anniversary Update) and that Microsoft is working on some update/patch/tool to get the SSD disks visible/bootable again.

Can anybody help?

Brgds,

3. MadTom Win User
    Dell XPS 8500 upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Hi

I removed the 32GB mSATA that was used as a cache.

I installed the Samsung SSD in the mSATA slot as my C: drive and made the 3TB disk my D: drive.

The 32GB mSATA is sat in an external USB to mSATA drive bay.

Regards

MadTom, Jan 31, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Samsung mSATA SSD only show 113/250 GB!?

What size was the HDD you cloned from?

Berton, Jan 31, 2016
  5. Odd. Ok so it says 78 free of 113 in the "This PC" but in the Storage section it says 94 of 173Gb which STILL isn't the 250 but makes things even weirder.

Really frustrated and wishing I could go back to 7 but I'm way out of warranty and due to circumstances cannot so I'm stuck...

6. It is 700Gb I think... In any case 649Gb free after formatting.

7. Clone was of a clean Windows 10. Already deleted (most) of the windowsold file

8. topgundcp Win User

It has nothing to do with Windows 10. You apparently copied the Windows 10 to the SSD, not cloning (can't clone from large capacity disk to small capacity disk).

Open Disk Management, right click on C drive->Extend Volume.

topgundcp, Jan 31, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    This is an image of my 250GB HDD with Win10 on it:

Samsung mSATA SSD only show 113/250 GB!? [​IMG]

I have read of others who have had problems when cloning from an HDD to a smaller-capacity SSD or HDD and most ended up doing a clean install on the SSD then using the larger HDD as secondary storage.

Berton, Jan 31, 2016
  10. Pressed the CLONE button in Easeus as instructed in another tutorial to clone. If that's not the correct term, my bad, as stated above my expertise is clearly not computers...

And where is Disk Management? I am lost on 10, nothing is where it used to be...

11. Clean install it is. I will get to try and sort this move user files stuff that way too...

Thanks Berton

12. Clean install complete. Zero change... Also, if it makes a difference, C: Properties states drives total size to be 113Gb as well....*Mad

I'm afraid to start setting things up programs etc in case I have to start over again...

Also checked drivers through dell and their detection system states everything is right as rain, except for a bios update which apparently causes issues with sata III (which I don't even know if it's running properly but supposedly you need A11 to get it working right, I'm on A14, update is to A16....)

13. Samsung mSATA SSD only show 113/250 GB!?

Well, it's there and I just need to Access it! I found Mini Tool Partition Wizard, ran it, and look what came up:

Not sure how to get that 59 empty gb back or what is in the first one but I can see it is there so that's a relief for now.

EDIT:

Looks like this is what is in each section:

Not sure how to proceed at this point..?

14. zplugger Win User
    So would restoring a image from a large HHD have the same problem with a smaller SSD?

zplugger, Jan 31, 2016
  15. topgundcp Win User
    I don't know what program you used to clone the disk but your partitions layout is a mess.
    IMPORTANT: It is advisable that you create a backup image of your SSD drive using: Macrium Reflect Free just in case things go wrong before working on the partitions.

Download Bootable Partition Manger | MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition , use Rufus - Create bootable USB then boot your PC from it. You'll get a screen similar to what you had. See screen shot and follow each step as indicated by the numbers.
    NOTE: The arrow just indicates the Boot Manager is from this partition. (The first partition on SSD)

Once in Mini Tool.

• Right click on 1 then select "Inactive"
    • Right click on 2, select Move/Resize, a Windows pops up, move the mouse to the end until you see 2 vertical bars and drag to the left to resize to 500MB from 59.4 GB(Note: Mega, not Giga)
    • Right Click on 3 and select Delete 59.7GB.
    • Right click on 4 and select Move/Resize, a Windows pops up, Drag it to the left until it is next to 500MB partition, Move the mouse to the end until you see 2 vertical bars and drag to the end to extend the partition.
    • click on "Apply" button on the top left to commit the changes and follow the screen until done.
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Open Mini Tool, your SSD should have a 500MB System Reserved partition and C drive.

topgundcp, Jan 31, 2016
Thema:

1. Samsung mSATA SSD only show 113/250 GB!? - Similar Threads - Samsung mSATA SSD

2. After a fresh install, my 250 GB SSD only has 186 GB free out of 216 GB total capacity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After a fresh install, my 250 GB SSD only has 186 GB free out of 216 GB total capacity: Hello! I just returned to Windows from openSUSE Linux. I made a bootable USB for Windows 10 using Ventoy. During the Windows installation, I "deleted" all the partitions for my SSD. However, I never got the option to "Format/Create New" which I'm usually able to do, to use...
  3. After a fresh install, my 250 GB SSD only has 186 GB free out of 216 GB total capacity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After a fresh install, my 250 GB SSD only has 186 GB free out of 216 GB total capacity: Hello! I just returned to Windows from openSUSE Linux. I made a bootable USB for Windows 10 using Ventoy. During the Windows installation, I "deleted" all the partitions for my SSD. However, I never got the option to "Format/Create New" which I'm usually able to do, to use...
  4. Clone Boot disk ( Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB) to Samsung 970 EVO PLUS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone Boot disk ( Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB) to Samsung 970 EVO PLUS: I would like to clone my boot drive(Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250) to a new Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVMe M.2 1TB Hard drive. The SSD 850 is in Legacy in the BIOS under Storage boot option control. I want the new M.2 drive to be the new Boot drive. My understanding is that I must...
  5. Windows unable to detect Samsung EVO SSD 250, shows in BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows unable to detect Samsung EVO SSD 250, shows in BIOS: Product: HP Notebook 15-AC 179TX Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit Hi Everyone, I have been trying to set up my new Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB by replacing my DVD/CD drive. I replaced the DVD drive with a fitting caddy, attached the SSD to it and inserted it...
  6. samsung ssd evo 860 250 gb

samsung ssd evo 860 250 gb: I am receiving this for Christmas, I have watched several youtube videos, I will be downloading the migration tool today, my computer was built by small computer store 6 years ago, it runs without problems, I will be cloning the ssd from the mechanical drive, all stats are...
  7. Drivers needed for a Samsung mSATA 512GB SSD (PM841 ??)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drivers needed for a Samsung mSATA 512GB SSD (PM841 ??): Hello Drivers needed for a Samsung mSATA 512GB SSD . According to my records it is a: "Samsung 512GB mSATA PM841 Series MZMTD512HAGL-00000 SATA III MLC Internal SSD". I have tried searching Samsung's various sites and found it to be intensely confusing!...
  8. Replace a 1TB HDD with a 250 GB SSD

Replace a 1TB HDD with a 250 GB SSD: HP p6716f Win10 HP (x64) desktop 1 TB hard drive (920 GB free) needs to be replaced. --- It appears to me there is only 80GB in use. Is that correct? I’d like to replace it with an SSD: I suspect 250 GB would be more than ample size. I've read that it isn't possible to...
  9. Install Win 10 Pro on new 250 GB SSD

Install Win 10 Pro on new 250 GB SSD: Want install Win 10 Pro on new 250 GB SSD drive. Already have Win 10 Pro installed and working on a 500 GB drive. Have bootable Win 10 on usb created with the windows tool. Now for the questions *Smile 1. I will disconnect all drives except for the new SSD, and try the...
  10. Clean windows 10 install onto a new SSD (samsung 850 EVO 250 gb) or

Clean windows 10 install onto a new SSD (samsung 850 EVO 250 gb) or: When I mount the drive in a Kingston drive adapter , the Samsung Magician software does not recognize the drive although Disc check identifies fine? Tried several different USB connectors & a second computer . Is there a workaround to migrate my win 10 system to the SSD -...