Windows 10: Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - 960 Series

Discus and support Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - 960 Series in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; ========================================================= UPDATED Feb.6th 2018 ========================================================= I am seeing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kbird, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Kbird Win User

Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - 960 Series

=========================================================
    UPDATED Feb.6th 2018
    I am seeing reports on the Samsung Forums that the new 4Bxxxxx Firmware is not working
    for everyone with the 960 Pro or only works for a few days and then the problems come back ,
    so proceed with cautionand perhaps do some research yourself 1st.

Don't Update if you Don't have an Issue is the best Idea currently

UPDATED Jan 30th 2018
    Apparently Samsung will release the 2nd wave of updates after 8pm EST (USA) 5pm PST (USA) Jan 30th.

UPDATED Jan 29th 2018
    ==========================================================

Samsung has released a new FW update for the 960 Pro. The new version is 4B6QCXP7.

The update is rolling out in waves and you can update it through Magician (v5.2 only) when it prompts you.

Let us know if you have any questions or need assistance updating the FW!

Thank you!

=================================================================
    ==================================================================

Just wanted to post a PSA warning for Firmware Updates through Magician, some are breaking SSD Drives, its been going on for at least a month with no resolution from Samsung yet except to RMA broken Drives which now stutter and Pause during use , apparently the Firmware can't be downgraded from my reading but I have not tried it personally ....

so DO NOT install the latest Firmware offered by Magician, especially on the latest 960 Evo or Pro Drives , without Checking the Samsung Forums 1st ..... they are having to RMA Drives currently broken by the latest 3B7Qxxxx Firmwares....these firmware's are only available though Magician not from the Download site currently.

I don't personally have anymore Information for you , those "in the know" please add anything you can on the Matter, thx.

*** PLEASE VISIT SAMSUNG to ascertain if YOUR MODEL is effected or not. SAMSUNG has now confirmed an issue on the 960 Pro NVME Drives and is Promising a Firmware Fix on 29th Jan. However there are numerous reports of the 3B7Qxxxx Firmware causing issues on the 960 Evo too.

The Issue seems to be Mostly with Older NVME 960 Pro and EVO Drives..... but please check for yourself here :

Memory & Storage - Samsung Community Forums Please Visit

*** Samsung Magician 5.2 in on Forum ( not a firmware fix , Secure Erase is now Linux based not Dos.)

http://ssd.samsungsemi.com/ecomobile/ssd/update8.do?fname=/Samsung_Magician_Installer.zip

The Issue seems to be Mostly with Older NVME 960 Pro and EVO Drives.....

more Direct links in Samsung forums in this post on page 2

Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - Re: Magician Downloads - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

And Some Media Reports too , which I never saw....

Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - Re: Magician Downloads - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Note
    ***Other than lag , ie programs opening slowly or micro-pauses , you can apparently see the issue in Task Manager>Disk activity as it will peg at 100% occasionally***

:)

Kbird, Jan 18, 2018

2. Windows 10 Anniversary update for 32GB eMMC budget laptops?

I have a NUC with i5 processor Bought with 2G Ram and 32G emmc. I had no problem with upgrading to 128G and 4G. I copied the installed emmc using a usb reader to a

Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - 960 Series [​IMG]

Samsung 250GB 960 Evo M.2 SSD

and samsungs proprietory program to copy installed emmc to samsung then swapped in new hdd no worries afert that

Perhaps ditching your 32G emmc is an answer?

AnthonyGaskin, Jan 18, 2018
  3. USB not recognized after startup with new SSD

I wrote it at the start, it is indeed an EVO series SSD, 850 EVO to be precise. I only heard about firmware problems on the 840 EVO. I checked my firmware with the provided software from Samsung and it indeed says it's up-to-date. If no one here has an
    idea how to fix this, who should I even write to? Samsung(SSD)? Asrock(MOBO)? Intel(CPU)?

michallolelek, Jan 18, 2018
  4. simrick Win User

Thanks for the heads up!

simrick, Jan 19, 2018
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you for the heads up.

Luckily, I'm still showing as having the latest firmware for my 960 EVO 250GB that came with it. No issues that I'm aware of.

Brink, Jan 19, 2018
  6. Thanks. Just got one of these drives a few weeks ago. On my list of things to do, update firmware. I'll be crossing that off list. Thanks again.

Caledon Ken, Jan 19, 2018
  7. Kbird Win User
    That is the BAD firmware , BUT so far it appears to not have any bad effect on Drives that Shipped with it but for Users like me on 2B7QCE7 firmware there are issues. ( I suspect a Hardware change at PCB level ) I got my 500GB 960 EVO in Oct but don't know when it was Manufactured. Samsung has kept pretty quiet so far on this so I thought I should warn people with older Drives....

KB.

Kbird, Jan 19, 2018
  8. CountMike New Member

My is with 2B7QCE7 and I was considering to update !!! Tnx. for heads up !!!!!

CountMike, Jan 19, 2018
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Well I just checked again, and it shows mine is up to date...

OldMike65, Jan 19, 2018
  10. Mine is the same as CountMike's. Just purchased end of December. 2B7QCXE7.

I assume ours are different from OldMike65 as he is running PRO not EVO.

Interesting though that Brink's starts with 3B7Q and that is what Kbird listed as the latest for these drives

11. OldMike65 Win User
    Well my EVO is also different from yours too. Bigger drive thou

OldMike65, Jan 19, 2018
  12. CountMike New Member
    That problem is only with M.2 drives, that one is SATA.

CountMike, Jan 19, 2018
  13. OldMike65 Win User

Oooo missed that part....opps *Redface

OldMike65, Jan 19, 2018
  14. Kbird after reading the Samsung site I'm more confused. Appears EVO doesn't have issue that PRO has.

I was likely on wrong, could you supply link to specific thread on their site. Would really appreciate it. Thanks.

15. Kbird Win User
    *** PLEASE VISIT SAMSUNG to ascertain if YOUR MODEL is effected or not. SAMSUNG has now confirmed an issue on the 960 Pro NVME Drives and is Promising a Firmware Fix on 29th Jan. However there are numerous reports of the 3B7Qxxxx Firmware causing issues on the 960 EVO too.

The Issue seems to be Mostly with Older NVME 960 Pro and EVO Drives..... but please check for yourself here :

Memory & Storage - Samsung Community Forums Please Visit

*** Samsung Magician 5.2 in on Forum ( not a firmware fix , Secure Erase is now Linux based not Dos.)

http://ssd.samsungsemi.com/ecomobile/ssd/update8.do?fname=/Samsung_Magician_Installer.zip

960 EVO NVME links
    New 960 EVO FW 3B7QCXE7 Available - Samsung Community - 213624

Re: 960 EVO 1TB causing random Windows 10 freezes ... - Samsung Community - 148703

960 PRO NVME links
    Slowdown in 960 PRO SSDs after the new firmware up... - Samsung Community - 221328

Re: Slowdown in 960 PRO SSDs after the new firmwar... - Page 3 - Samsung Community - 221328

960 pro firmware 3B6QCXP7 its a crap !!!! - Samsung Community - 217627

Kbird, Jan 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - 960 Series - Similar Threads - Samsung SSD Firmware

2. Intel SSD DC S4500/S4600 Series Firmware Advisory

in Windows 10 News
    Intel SSD DC S4500/S4600 Series Firmware Advisory: Intel ID: INTEL-SA-00267 Advisory Category: Firmware Impact of vulnerability: Escalation of Privilege Severity rating: MEDIUM Original release: 07/09/2019 Last revised: 07/09/2019 Summary: A potential security vulnerability in Intel® Solid State Drives (SSD) for Data...
  3. Netgear Firmware Warning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Netgear Firmware Warning: I recently updated by Netgear firmware with the newest release. In my case V1.0.2.130 for an R8500 Nighthawk. Immediately I started having Internet issues using my iOS devices on the Guest networks (2.4 or 5.0). I've been doing a lot of testing and also found my Android...
  4. Samsung 860 ssd 1tb firmware

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung 860 ssd 1tb firmware: Hey does anyone know where to download a firmware for Samsung 860 Evo Series Model : MZ-76E1T0B/AM i can't find it on samsung website 124317
  5. Impressora Samsung M288x Series

Impressora Samsung M288x Series: Não consigo digitalizar documentos na impressora Samsung Xpress M2885FW, esta exibindo a mensagem "Erro de I/O durante a comunicação com o dispositivo"....
  6. Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed

Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed: Hello , not sure if this is the right place for this. Is there anyway to tell if I am getting the max speed out of my ssd? I have a feeling it's not. I double checked, I installed the nvme drivers, have the latest firmware. I have drive indexing turned off. I ran the Magician...
  7. Samsung Magician / Samsung SSD 840 series

Samsung Magician / Samsung SSD 840 series: [img] I get above error; I've updated the intel rapid storage driver and asmedia sata controller driver. My motherboard is an asus z97 deluxe. Help is appreciated; thx ! 59239
  8. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB - NEW FIRMWARE

Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB - NEW FIRMWARE: [img] 79508
  9. UEFI firmware settings SAMSUNG

UEFI firmware settings SAMSUNG: Hello all, My system specs are the following: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit UEFI Bios Phoenix BIOS version and drivers are updated, also confirmed by Slimdrivers. Samsung Series 5 ULTRA 530U4C-S02PT Also: It is an hybrid drive, 1TB HDD & 24GB SSD that is supposedly well...
  10. Samsung 960 EVO NVMe performance...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Samsung 960 EVO NVMe performance...: My new system is based on the Asus Prime Z370-A MB, that has two PCIe (x4), M.2_1 and M.2_2. Both of the sockets are populated with Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250 GB M.2 cards. Windows 10 setup had selected the M.2_1 drive and installed without any issues. Windows 10 is up to...