Windows 10: SATA 6 GBps RAID Card Recommendation

Discus and support SATA 6 GBps RAID Card Recommendation in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm looking to do away with my standalone NAS and combine it's functionality with my always-on Windows Server. I have three spinner drives purchased... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DeaconFrost, Feb 19, 2018.

1. SATA 6 GBps RAID Card Recommendation

I'm looking to do away with my standalone NAS and combine it's functionality with my always-on Windows Server. I have three spinner drives purchased and want to use an add-in RAID controller card. Does anyone have recommendations for one that won't break the bank? The motherboard does have onboard RAID, but I would rather utilize an add-in card. Some of the onboard ports are in use, and if I use a card, it can be moved to another system, if needed.

I have an older HighPoint RocketRAID card that works, except it is only a 3GBps card.

:)

DeaconFrost, Feb 19, 2018
  2. T-G. Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade messed up HDDs with FAMILY PHOTOS!!!

A bit of research shows that the 'Intel 6 series / C200 series 6 port SATA/AHCI Controller' is hardware RAID capable; if you had space inside the machine for this pair of disks, that may provide the optimal set-up although initial set-up is quite complex.

In any case, bypassing the eSata controller card and enclosure would be beneficial* even if you stick with the software RAID provided under Disk Management.

* although you'd need to weigh up the disadvantage of not being able to unplug them / put them in a safe / grab them in a house fire etc.

3. Romel Ram Win User
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

We recommend downloading and installing the SATA RAID controller driver compatible for the SSD drive. For proper assistance, we recommend contacting your computer manufacturer.

Feel free to post again if you have other concerns.

Romel Ram, Feb 19, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

SATA 6 GBps RAID Card Recommendation

Here's an article from nerdtechy on this topic you might find interesting: Best PCIe RAID Controller Cards 2017-2018 - Nerd Techy. Let me know if you're looking for more server-grade stuff and I will make different recommendations or provide different pointers. FWIW, I've used lots of StarTech stuff purchased through Newegg over the years, and it usually works just fine.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 19, 2018
  5. Thanks for the link! I'll delve into their choices, but I'm thinking none of them do RAID5. I know the Vantec card doesn't, but I'll investigate further. I'm planning to use RAID5.

DeaconFrost, Feb 19, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Feb 19, 2018
  7. I had a recommendation on another forum for an LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i card. $40...can't beat that!

DeaconFrost, Feb 21, 2018
  8. EdTittel Win User

Great price, indeed. For that kind of $$$$ if you don't like it, you can afford to trash it, and buy a different one. That's definitely the kind of hardware I like to buy, too.
    Thanks for sharing,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 21, 2018
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

@DeaconFrost

Sorry to throw my spanner into the works here or disturb the party but:

IMO any sort of cheap Consumer Grade Hardware RAID card isn't worth it (not talking about high quality commercial server stuff etc. such as SAS but that's a different order of magnitude of expense !!).

I've found the best solution is to buy something like a cheap HP ProLiant Gen 8 / Gen 10 Microserver to use as a NAS --install iinux on it and use built in mdadm -Software RAID - using Native bus speeds of the server.

Linux software RAID is fine, you can mix and match HDD devices --can be of different capacities (the microservers have 4 built in HDD bays plus DVD / SSD port). Also with Software raid you don't have to worry about finding drivers for your system too. Linux software RAID is extremely efficient as well.

Windows in general as an always on "headless" server isn't really a good idea -- Linux is the overwhelming choice for that.

Windows Servers are excellent at providing a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure for remote users etc -- i.e you log on to a company VPN and then get a Windows desktop with corporate applications such as Ms Office etc which is fine but as "classical Servers" I'd tend to avoid if poss.

Nothing wrong with Windows in the right environment but for a classical NAS type server the wrong tool for the job.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 21, 2018
  10. EdTittel Win User
    To each his own, Jimbo. Thanks for sharing your insights with us.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 21, 2018
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@EdTittel.

Nothing wrong with Windows --sorry if I gave that impression -- it's just for things like NAS I still don't believe it's the right tool for the job -- don't get me wrong --over the years I've done loads of things that without Windows would not be possible so in no way I'm anti-Windows --just I think for a lot of Networking type stuff there are better solutions !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 22, 2018
  12. EdTittel Win User
    No, your input is very welcome. The old saying "Give a kid a hammer, and everything becomes a nail!" comes to mind in this context. Just because we can use Windows do to certain things is by no means a guarantee that it's the best, most cost-effective, or easiest way to do it, period. I always like being reminded that there are other and possibly better ways to proceed. Our old buddy @Kari in fact does it your way, too, I believe.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 22, 2018
  13. SATA 6 GBps RAID Card Recommendation

I appreciate the insights, but this is actually going to replace a standalone NAS. However, it is going to do more than just data storage. My Western Digital EX4 has been running like a champ, but I'm likely going to sell it or give it to my Dad. Anyway, Windows works very well as a headless server. If you are running non-Enterprise hardware, you just have to make sure the BIOS is set to boot without a keyboard present. If so, you'll have no issues.

My server is going to be a local domain controller, NAS replacement, and likely an internal-only web server for myself and my wife to use for some other home projects. It's running on home brew hardware, but it boots fine with only power and network connected. I wanted a standalone card, so if there's an issue with the motherboard, or I want to upgrade the mobo later on, I can do so without having to migrate data off the array, rebuild, and then move it back.

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. SATA 6 GBps RAID Card Recommendation - Similar Threads - SATA GBps RAID

2. Raid Card Driver Problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Raid Card Driver Problems: I just had my gaming computer fail, and I transferred all six of it's hard drives into an older backup machine, using a SATA expansion card to give me enough slots. However, now every HDD plugged into the SATA expansion card shows up as a USB drive. When I attempt to open...
  3. Slow RAID 0 volume (6 HDDs)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow RAID 0 volume (6 HDDs): Having some speed issues on a HDD volume. The volume in question is comprised of six 4TB WD red NAS (CMR) drives. Build specs below. When I created the volume in the bios it was quite fast somewhere around 800-900mbs (read/write) benchmarked via CrystalDiskMark. I worked...
  4. Recommendations for 12 bay nas raid

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recommendations for 12 bay nas raid: I am looking to get either a synology or qnap 12 bay nas. I’ve looked over reviews for both western digital red pro and seagate iron wolf pro, both seem to have their positives and negatives. Does anyone have any recommendations for which drive I should go with for a 12 bay...
  5. Graphic Card Recommendation

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Graphic Card Recommendation: Hi Everyone I have a 3 years old computer with a build in graphic card. I want to install an PlayStation 4 emulator and to connect the computer to my TV but I can't because I don't really have a graphic card. This is what I've got Intel Core i5 4950 CPU 3.30GhZ RAM 8 GB 64...
  6. Loading RAID card on boot

Loading RAID card on boot: I installed a third party RAID controller card in Dell Inspiron desktop. When booting, an independant bios-type setup screen is supposed to load before windows in order to set up the RAID disks controlled. However, this setup screen never shows up, and boot goes straight to...
  7. Recommended graphics card

Recommended graphics card: I have a PC running Windows 10 1709. It's a little older and has an AMD Radeon 7500 series PCIe graphics card. Windows 10 1803 won't install and I believe it's because of the older card. I can certainly get a newer card, buy which one would be the best to maintain...
  8. Recommend Video Card

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Recommend Video Card: Converted a Dell XPS 630i to win 10 at owners request and am having trouble with the dreaded VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm) BSOD. It has 2 x Geforce 8800 GT cards in it. A lot of people seem to be having this problem. Can anyone please recommend a lower end card that has...
  9. Adding a SATA RAID card

Adding a SATA RAID card: I'm wondering if I've made a schoolboy error here... I'm trying to add more disks to my desktop and have run out of SATA ports the motherboard has 6. I've just added a SATA RAID card (Semlos 4 Ports PCI Sata Internal Raid Controller Card Sil3114 Chipset with 2 Sata...
  10. which Hardware SATA RAid CARDs are compaitible with windows 10

which Hardware SATA RAid CARDs are compaitible with windows 10: I have an asus motherboard based off intel on windows 7. It prompts to say windows 10 update is available. I checked with Intel and ASUS and it seems there is no support for Intel RST Software raid in windows 10 on my motherboard. I need to find a Hardware SATA RAid Card that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 compatable sata 6 add on card