Windows 10: SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable

Discus and support SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Bios does not have Hot Swap options for SATA drives. Interface is AHCI. Have tried: " reg.exe add... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hairy Scot, Jan 24, 2018.

1. SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable

Bios does not have Hot Swap options for SATA drives.
    Interface is AHCI.
    Have tried: " reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d x"
    Which corrects for one drive but when run on the second drive the first drive reverts to removable.
    I doubt very much that this is a driver issue; it's just a typical Windows SNAFU.

:)

Hairy Scot, Jan 24, 2018
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

Weird file path bug?

Hi!

There is issues with HDD and SSD on the same motherboard if the motherboard does not support it. Is you SSD plugged into a SATA port or PCIe port/slot? You may have to put the SATA into IDE mode. You could look up the motherboard at manufactures website
    and see if they have a manual.

Google search

HDD and SSD on same motherboard

Teddy2016, Jan 24, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Why is there no AHCI mode in my BIOS??

Yes, you do need to set SATA mode to AHCI for your SSD wo work correctly

AHCi is not a boot mode or priority, you seem to be in the wrong BIOS Tab

Look on the system Status or Advanced settings sections

Look for SATA MODE setting, then set that to AHCI

Please note the following is the procedure for installing Windows 10 on a system with an SSD for OS and Apps with a HDD for Data:

1. Remove the HDD

2. Plug the SSD into the SATA Port the HDD was pluggedinto

3. Set SATA mode to AHCI (must be done before installing Windows)

4. Install Windows onto the SSD

5. When Windows has installed completely, turn off PC

and reconnect the Data HDD to another SATA Port

DaveM121, Jan 24, 2018
  4. Kbird Win User

SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable

Actually I have seen this caused by older versions of the Nvidia Drivers , but can't remember the Series number , but try 382.05 if you Card can use it? pretty fast and stable and no issues like the 388.x Series here.

KB

Kbird, Jan 24, 2018
  5. TrustMe Win User
    I had the same problem but only had one drive. I found this in another forum and decided to save it.

If Kbird's solution does not work try navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device in the registry. Once you are on the Device Key, In the right hand plane, right click and create a new Multi-String Value Name the new value TreatAsInternalPort Double click the new value to edit it. In the Value Data section, start with 0 then 1 2 3 depending on how many ports you have. The trick here is they must be numbered vertically. The value data section will look like this:

The example will work for four ports.

I have not tried this myself but the person who posted it said it worked.

TrustMe, Jan 24, 2018
  6. Fantastic. Worked a treat. Thank you.

Now I just have to sort out the Marvell 91xx controller.

Update: I add the Bus No for the Marvell 91xx to the list and that solved that problem too.
    Bonus points to TrustMe. *Thumbs

Hairy Scot, Jan 27, 2018
  7. TrustMe Win User
    Thanks for the update.

TrustMe, Jan 27, 2018
  8. EdTittel Win User

Hairy Scot:
    I'm having a little difficulty visualizing what the resulting registry structures look like here. Could you please post a screenshot of the final values as you set them up for that TreatAsInternalPort entry? TIA for the extra effort.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 27, 2018
  9. Kbird Win User
    The Marvell Controller was shown as removable too ? I didn't see that on my X58A Board , not sure what Driver I am running though for that, I'd have to check...

Kbird, Jan 27, 2018
  10. clam1952 Win User
    clam1952, Jan 27, 2018
  11. Kbird Win User
    Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable - Similar Threads - SATA HDD SSD

2. Remove HDD/SSD password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove HDD/SSD password: How do I remove the HDD/SDD password requirement upon startup? Don't need this requirement credential for my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-hddssd-password/e5accbe3-a906-48fc-9d7e-7e47a76517a9
  3. Remove HDD/SSD password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove HDD/SSD password: How do I remove the HDD/SDD password requirement upon startup? Don't need this requirement credential for my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-hddssd-password/e5accbe3-a906-48fc-9d7e-7e47a76517a9
  4. sata ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sata ssd: I installed a sata 6 internal ssd and my cpu is not recognizing the drive what must I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sata-ssd/5c8a216f-bfe8-46f4-804a-745e44997e32
  5. Transfer OS to SATA SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Transfer OS to SATA SSD from HDD: Hello everyone, I have old PC with system configuration as below: Processor-Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz RAM:2GB MotherBoard:Asus P5kpl-am/ps HDD:WD 512GB No Graphics Card,Intel stock cooler. Recnetly I have upgraded the PC from windows 7 professional 32bit to...
  6. SATA HDD recognised as SSD

SATA HDD recognised as SSD: Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the prescribed procedures mentioned on forums but to no effect. I'm pretty convinced that the problem lies in the fact I have...
  7. Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD: Hello, I did cloning of my original Sata 1 TB HDD to New 1 TB SSD (WD) using Macrium Software. No issues found during cloning and everything went fine. I did swap the hard disk and when I turn on the laptop I am unable to boot to windows. I did try legacy boot option and...
  8. SATA III SSD shown as SATA II

SATA III SSD shown as SATA II: Hi everyone.*Nerd I have just noticed that my Intel 520 SSD Drive is showing as SATA II drive. Now, I am aware that it is connected to a SATA2_0 port controlled by native Intel SATA II controller on my mobo and current speed should be 3gb/s. Why does it say though that the...
  9. Sata ssd

Sata ssd: What is the difference between SATAI,II,and III? I want to buy one from EBay. Its a Seagate SATA I for only $11.00 160gb don't need much more than that. Just enough to hold small docs and for surfing. 102827
  10. True Crypt Encrypted OS with SSD & SATA HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    True Crypt Encrypted OS with SSD & SATA HDD: Hi, can anyone please let me know if it is possible to create a True Crypt Encrypted OS when using a SSD and a Sata HDD installed. When creating the 2 OS with one encrypted on just one HDD that is partitioned it works perfectly, but as soon as I add an SSD with one OS it wont...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. SATA HDD SHOWN AS REMOVEBLE

2. asmedia sata drive showing as external

3. ssd disk shown like removable disk

4. new ssd recognised as removable,
  5. win10 sata g6 ssd removable device,
  6. sata hdd & ssd shown as removable