Windows 10: Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo

Discus and support Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a DIY box with an Asus P5K-E mobo that provides SATA II ports. I upgraded to a pair of Samsung 850 EVO ssds and naturally got a great speed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Cbarnhorst, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo

I have a DIY box with an Asus P5K-E mobo that provides SATA II ports. I upgraded to a pair of Samsung 850 EVO ssds and naturally got a great speed boost. Now I am getting greedy and thinking about doubling my gains with a SATA III controller card. I have been reading online and I am seeing indications that I may not get much if any speed boost that way. Would those of you experienced with doing what I am contemplating please chime in and tell me if you achieved improvement and if so what card did you use? I am running Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Home, one on each ssd, no RAID is involved.

:)

Cbarnhorst, Sep 9, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Have 4 x 3.o Gb ports and 2 x 6 Gb ports. How do they differ?

A SATA II interface has a maximum throughput of 3 GB/s. A SATA III interface has a maximum throughput of 6 GB/s. That's in a laboratory. You won't see anything close to either of those in real life.

If you're connecting a SATA III device, use a SATA III port. If you're connecting a SATA II device, use a SATA II port.

BulldogXX, Sep 9, 2016
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Have 4 x 3.o Gb ports and 2 x 6 Gb ports. How do they differ?

In literal terms it does not matter. SATA III ports will accept SATA II devices and SATA III devices will work at SATA II speeds.

As has been said if you have suitable devices match them to the required port to get the best performance. The only consideration is how these ports are provided. On some motherboards the SATA III are on a dedicated chipset (JMicron, Marvell) and some features
    require a driver to be loaded. With only two SATA II devices I found it simpler to disable the second SATA interface in the BIOS and leave the drivers off.

HairyFool, Sep 9, 2016
  4. Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo

I have not tried any bus card, but looking at the age of your mother board and not knowing your CPU or Memory speed, you probably will not get the full sata III speeds that your looking for. Best to get on-board Sata III support.

storageman, Sep 9, 2016
  5. Or just not worry about it. It is my test box and not my primary computer. The ssds are pretty fast even throttled back by the SATA II connections. Like all us enthusiasts, I'm always looking to tweak.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 9, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    If you use a PCIe card you may get speeds somewhere in between but there is still a question of compatibility and card has to be bootable of course, not all of them are.

CountMike, Sep 9, 2016
  7. Do you have a card in mind? I have three open universal PCI slots. I'm OK on the theory.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 9, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo

Can't remember now what I had and tried (it was 4 or 5 years ago) but I was unimpressed, couldn't see any real life improvement. It may have some uses if used to add more SATA ports, some have ability to daisy chain drives on same port.

CountMike, Sep 10, 2016
  9. Yeah, they are called port multipliers. It also matters how many lanes the card supports. On an x4 card with four ports using all four is a mistake because daisy chained or not all the attached drives will use the same lane. Or something like that.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 10, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    I have seen some with PCIe x4, they may be better.

CountMike, Sep 10, 2016
  11. Cbarnhorst
    sata 3 pcie cards need pciexpress version 2 .
    Your motherboard has only one pci e 2 and it is for grafiks card.
    The other two are pci express version 1 provided by southbridhe ich9r and limited only to 250mb/sec.
    Your sata 2 ports are 300 mb/secons so you are quicker.

The minimum requirement to run properly a sata 3 pcie card is the chipset x58 whitch provides multiple pcie 2 slots and its line provide 500mb/s (sata 3 provides 600mb/s so the cost is a little).

EdIt:
    Now i found the manual of your motherboard and also your pci e for youur grafiks card it is also 1 version.

boombastik, Sep 11, 2016
  12. That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Cbarnhorst, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo

1. Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo - Similar Threads - Sata III PCI

2. Putting the SATA cable in another SATA port on my MoBo will have no problems?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Putting the SATA cable in another SATA port on my MoBo will have no problems?: I have set-up the Hard Drives and SSD and has files with it's volume letterWill removing the port and transferring it to 1, 2, and 3 have any issues like files corrupting or the hard drives/ssd not being read?I just want to put it to ports 1, 2, and 3...
  3. Putting the SATA cable in another SATA port on my MoBo will have no problems?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Putting the SATA cable in another SATA port on my MoBo will have no problems?: I have set-up the Hard Drives and SSD and has files with it's volume letterWill removing the port and transferring it to 1, 2, and 3 have any issues like files corrupting or the hard drives/ssd not being read?I just want to put it to ports 1, 2, and 3...
  4. Putting the SATA cable in another SATA port on my MoBo will have no problems?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bsods on syba 40062 pcie card sata III

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bsods on syba 40062 pcie card sata III: I had to install the OS first on native sata ports and then I inserted the pcie card which gives me frequent crashes and does not boot with inaccessible boot device error.I managed to get it started, but every time I have to do a clean install it are problems. In device...
  6. PCI-Express To SATA III 6Gbps Cards

PCI-Express To SATA III 6Gbps Cards: I have tried using two different models of these cards, and both were hopeless. Red screens of death were common, even before getting into Windows. They both used a Marvell chipset. Maybe that was the problem. Even booting with with rescue media produced RSODs. Has anyone...
  7. SATA III Controller Card issue on Warm Reboot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SATA III Controller Card issue on Warm Reboot.: So I thought I'd throw this out here and get some opinions. My computer recently has been BSODing upon warm reboots, and I noticed that I'm not seeing the ASM1061 Controller card's BIOS screen when restarting, and I'm trying to figure out if I have a failing card or if...
  8. SATA III Controller Card issue on Warm Reboot.

SATA III Controller Card issue on Warm Reboot.: So I thought I'd throw this out here and get some opinions. My computer recently has been BSODing upon warm reboots, and I noticed that I'm not seeing the ASM1061 Controller card's BIOS screen when restarting, and I'm trying to figure out if I have a failing card or if...
  9. SATA III SSD shown as SATA II

SATA III SSD shown as SATA II: Hi everyone.*Nerd I have just noticed that my Intel 520 SSD Drive is showing as SATA II drive. Now, I am aware that it is connected to a SATA2_0 port controlled by native Intel SATA II controller on my mobo and current speed should be 3gb/s. Why does it say though that the...
  10. SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x1 Card not working after 1709 update

SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x1 Card not working after 1709 update: Hi all, I am currently on Windows 10 Pro 1607 and I have 3 HDDs and 1 optic drive plugged into my SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x1 Card. Everything is moving along just fine. I did the painfully long update (not by choice) to 1709. After it completed, this card stopped working...