Windows 10: SATA III SSD shown as SATA II

Discus and support SATA III SSD shown as SATA II in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone.*Nerd I have just noticed that my Intel 520 SSD Drive is showing as SATA II drive. Now, I am aware that it is connected to a SATA2_0 port... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Buzzik, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Buzzik Win User

SATA III SSD shown as SATA II

Hi everyone.*Nerd
    I have just noticed that my Intel 520 SSD Drive is showing as SATA II drive. Now, I am aware that it is connected to a SATA2_0 port controlled by native Intel SATA II controller on my mobo and current speed should be 3gb/s. Why does it say though that the max transfer speed this SSD Drive is capable of is 3gb/s instead of 6gb/s while the other Crusial C300 SSD is shown correctly as "SATA 6Gb/s @ 3/Gb/s".
    Also I wanted to clarify is it better to connect my SSD with Windows 10 on it to an Intel's II(3gb/s) port or Marvell's SATA III(6gb/s)? Some reviews on the Internet say that it's always better to use native ports, Intel SATA II in my case. How big is the actual difference in time of let's say Windows start up/opening an application when running through SATA II compared to SATA III.
    SATA III SSD shown as SATA II [​IMG]

:)

Buzzik, Feb 5, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Have 4 x 3.o Gb ports and 2 x 6 Gb ports. How do they differ?

A SATA II interface has a maximum throughput of 3 GB/s. A SATA III interface has a maximum throughput of 6 GB/s. That's in a laboratory. You won't see anything close to either of those in real life.

If you're connecting a SATA III device, use a SATA III port. If you're connecting a SATA II device, use a SATA II port.

BulldogXX, Feb 5, 2016
  3. WINDOWS 10-SSd boot disc and SSd backup discs are showing up as removable discs.

Both PC internal drives are SATA III connected to a Marvell 88SE9128 SATA controller for 6Gb/s and set to AHCI in a custom built PC using a MSI Big Bang X Power MS-7666 motherboard. Another internal SATA II SSD is connected to the Intel ICH10R on board
    chip and does not show as removable. How do I change the 2 SATA III to NOT show as removable?

HOLLIS HOLDEN, Feb 5, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

jds63, Feb 5, 2016
  5. Buzzik Win User
    I also have 2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_8, GSATA2_9).
    As I stated earlier it is connected to a SATA2_0

Buzzik, Feb 5, 2016
  6. jds63 Win User
    Can not get best performance from a SATA III device hooked to a SATA II port. Also need correct SATA Controller drivers and BIOS enabled to AHCI will help to. So should be on 7 & 6

jds63, Feb 5, 2016
  7. Buzzik Win User
    Okay so, first I enabled Marvell in BIOS and set it to AHCI, then in Device Manager Generic Intel AHCI Controller appeared. I shut down PC, reconnected my SSD to one of the Marvell's ports and tried to boot up windows - windows did not boot up. I reconnected SSD back to Intel and boot up Windows. After that I took my CD that came with the mobo and installed "Marvell 91xx driver" as shown in my Control Panel Programs and Features, restarted PC, and Generic Intel AHCI Controller under IDE ATA/ATAPI disappeared but appeared under Storage Controllers as "Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller". Shut down PC, reconnected SSD back to Marvell and was not able to boot up windows again...

Buzzik, Feb 5, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member
  9. Buzzik Win User
    Buzzik, Feb 5, 2016
  10. jds63 Win User
    As said you need to hook them to the SATA III Marvel on the board as shown before.Gigabytes website shows only up to Windows 7, choose 64bit or 32bit for the system.

jds63, Feb 5, 2016
  11. Buzzik Win User
    But preinstall drivers should be installed during windows installation isn't it, or there is no difference?

Buzzik, Feb 6, 2016
  12. Isn't Marvel meant to be not a great controller, Intel are better

shakennstirred, Feb 6, 2016
  13. jds63 Win User

No, not really Windows 10 may have some drivers for your system, but do not think these. Show me a screen capture of Device Manager with IDE ATA /ATAPI Controllers expanded (left click once to open) i want to see what is installed, as you can also check what shows under the Driver Tab and date and version ( right click each controller listed and select Properties).

Pages from motherboard manual explains the SATA connectors

jds63, Feb 6, 2016
  14. jds63 Win User
    Possibly, but that is the controller with SATA III. Intel is SATA II, he can use Intel of course and would be limited to SATA II speeds.

jds63, Feb 6, 2016
  15. Buzzik Win User
    So should I uninstall Marvell Console Driver and Install Preinstall Driver?

Buzzik, Feb 8, 2016
Thema:

1. SATA III SSD shown as SATA II - Similar Threads - SATA III SSD

2. Realtek Audio driver Issues after installing New Sata III SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Realtek Audio driver Issues after installing New Sata III SSD: BACKSTORY:I have a Dell G7 15 laptop that I have been using for the past 4ish years. More recently I have started to experience heavy throttling due to low storage on my SSD. I decided to upgrade my Sata III SSD to a larger drive. I installed Windows 10 and all my drivers...
  3. What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe?

in Windows 10 News
    What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe?: The storage world can be a confusing place, particularly for those trying to learn the basics. It’s a difference that might not seem like a big deal, but it can really affect how your system runs. Today we are talking about SATA-based SSD and NVMe-based SSD. What are the...
  4. sata ssd

sata ssd: I installed a sata 6 internal ssd and my cpu is not recognizing the drive what must I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sata-ssd/5c8a216f-bfe8-46f4-804a-745e44997e32
  5. PCI-Express To SATA III 6Gbps Cards

PCI-Express To SATA III 6Gbps Cards: I have tried using two different models of these cards, and both were hopeless. Red screens of death were common, even before getting into Windows. They both used a Marvell chipset. Maybe that was the problem. Even booting with with rescue media produced RSODs. Has anyone...
  6. 2.5" SATA III SSD not seen in BIOS as a boot disk

2.5" SATA III SSD not seen in BIOS as a boot disk: The machine is MSI Titan GT80 SLI and it has 4 SSDs: 3x2280 PCIe and 1x2.5" SATA III SSD. I have no issues with making images of the primary boot SSD, from one 2280 to another 2280 using Macrium Reflect. Then I use the bcdboot command to make the drive bootable. however, I...
  7. 2.5" SATA III SSD not seen in BIOS as a boot disk

in Windows 10 Support
    2.5" SATA III SSD not seen in BIOS as a boot disk: The machine is MSI Titan GT80 SLI and it has 4 SSDs: 3x2280 PCIe and 1x2.5" SATA III SSD. I have no issues with making images of the primary boot SSD, from one 2280 to another 2280 using Macrium Reflect. Then I use the bcdboot command to make the drive bootable. however, I...
  8. Sata ssd

Sata ssd: What is the difference between SATAI,II,and III? I want to buy one from EBay. Its a Seagate SATA I for only $11.00 160gb don't need much more than that. Just enough to hold small docs and for surfing. 102827
  9. Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo

Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo: I have a DIY box with an Asus P5K-E mobo that provides SATA II ports. I upgraded to a pair of Samsung 850 EVO ssds and naturally got a great speed boost. Now I am getting greedy and thinking about doubling my gains with a SATA III controller card. I have been reading online...
  10. SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable

SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable: Bios does not have Hot Swap options for SATA drives. Interface is AHCI. Have tried: " reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d x" Which corrects for one drive but when run on the second...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot