Windows 10: SATA III to USB 3 Dock has Drive disappear after Head Park.

Discus and support SATA III to USB 3 Dock has Drive disappear after Head Park. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Well, I have tried everything and even have the USB Hubs set to not allow the Computer to turn off the device. Here is my issue and Nothing works to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MPSAN, Aug 2, 2017.

1. MPSAN Win User

SATA III to USB 3 Dock has Drive disappear after Head Park.

Well, I have tried everything and even have the USB Hubs set to not allow the Computer to turn off the device.

Here is my issue and Nothing works to fix it...
    First, I am on 64 bit Win 10 Pro. One system is on CU 1703 as of yesterday, but it did not help anything. This is happening on two systems with two docks. The other system is still on ver 1607.

I have 2 new Sabrent EC-DFFN SATA III to USB 3 docks and they even support UASP. I bought a new 4TB Toshiba Enterprise drive. This all connects well, but after about 5 minutes of no activity, I believe the drive parks its heads. OK, but if I try to go to it again it will not reconnect. If I go to Disk Management, it is blank and hangs. Sometimes it will see the drive when Disk Management finally comes back in a few MINUTES. When first connected, DM comes back right away showing all drives with no issues, and as I said, the drive works well on both systems.

OK, I have another 4TB drive that is an HGST and the same thing happens. However, I believe the HGST also parks the heads. Both drives are GPT/NTFS and the HGST has been running well in my wife's system as a SATA connected internal drive.

So, I wonder if this is a windows issue with USB connected drives with head parking? The drives are fine out of the dock and this is supposed to be a good dock. I have been emailing Sabrent and they even say that they even use 8TB drives and they work fine.

So, does anyone know if there is anything I can try? Sabrent said I could send the 2 docks to them and they will send me two new verified docks, but I am afraid I would get the same results.
    The other thing I could do is keep all of this, and since all I want to use this for is Backups, it should be fine as once the backup is done I can power the dock off.

Sorry for long post but head parking is not an unusual thing.!

:)

MPSAN, Aug 2, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Have 4 x 3.o Gb ports and 2 x 6 Gb ports. How do they differ?

A SATA II interface has a maximum throughput of 3 GB/s. A SATA III interface has a maximum throughput of 6 GB/s. That's in a laboratory. You won't see anything close to either of those in real life.

If you're connecting a SATA III device, use a SATA III port. If you're connecting a SATA II device, use a SATA II port.

BulldogXX, Aug 2, 2017
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    usb

Stick it in a usb sata dock. Something like this maybe. If that
    is what you are talking about - attaching a 1TB hard drive to your laptop.

A 1gb usb flash drive is really a tiny amount of storage.

'Mike P, Aug 2, 2017
  4. fireberd Win User

I have two USB 3.0 external drive docks. Neither is a Sabrent brand. I have a Toshiba and a Seagate hard drives that I've used with the docks. I do not have any problems with the drives not responding with the "no name" dock I'm using now. I had trouble with the other dock but it was a hardware problem with the dock not connecting to my USB 3.0 ports.

fireberd, Aug 2, 2017
  5. MPSAN Win User
    Well, Sabrent says they do not have an issue, but I sure do. As I said, all is good until I let it idle for about 5 minutes...I believe the heads are parked during that time...and then there are issues when I reconnect! I was going to try another brand, but I am afraid to.

MPSAN, Aug 2, 2017
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey mspan,
    Have you tired updating the firmware ? Downloads | Sabrent

I have two Sabrent USB 3.0 docks (EC-DFLT & EC-HDFN) and haven't had any issues with them.
    EC-DFLT is connected to router USB 2.0 as a network share drive. (firmware updated)
    EC-HDFN is connected to Desktop USB 2.0 for image backups and cloning
    Note: I don't have any USB 3.0 ports *Sad

Edit:
    EC-DFLT currently has 3.5 Seagate (500 gig)
    EC-HDFN currently has 2.5 WD Black & 3.5 WD Black (both 500 gig)

Eagle51, Aug 2, 2017
  7. MPSAN Win User
    Well, I did do the firmware update when I got them as Sabrent said that without the update it would not even see the 4TB or larger drives. It does see them...I have a Toshiba and HGST. I have connected these to usb 3 ports on 2 systems with the same issue. I even tried usb2 ports with the same issue.

MPSAN, Aug 2, 2017
  8. Eagle51 Win User

Have you tried turning off USB Selective Suspend in your current power profile/options ?

Eagle51, Aug 2, 2017
  9. Plankton Win User
    Plankton, Aug 2, 2017
  10. MPSAN Win User
    Yes

MPSAN, Aug 2, 2017
  11. MPSAN Win User
    MPSAN, Aug 2, 2017
  12. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Aug 2, 2017
  13. MPSAN Win User

I can look...I will let you know.

MPSAN, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. SATA III to USB 3 Dock has Drive disappear after Head Park. - Similar Threads - SATA III USB

2. sata power and sata 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sata power and sata 3: i looked on amazon and i couldn't find a good sata 3 to usb 3 and a sata power that would fit with the sata 3. Does anybody have a link to what im looking for? Sata 3 2.5 inches. https://imgur.com/5DFguai...
  3. Safely Remove SATA Drive in a DOCK?

Safely Remove SATA Drive in a DOCK?: Hello ALL. I have Windows 10 PRO 1909 with all of the updates and added the Safely Remove Hardware shortcut. The problem is that I have a SATA dock with a nice 4TB drive that I use for images (Macrium Reflect) and when done I wanted to use this Shortcut to remove the drive...
  4. Safely Remove SATA Drive in a DOCK?

in Windows 10 Support
    Safely Remove SATA Drive in a DOCK?: Hello ALL. I have Windows 10 PRO 1909 with all of the updates and added the Safely Remove Hardware shortcut. The problem is that I have a SATA dock with a nice 4TB drive that I use for images (Macrium Reflect) and when done I wanted to use this Shortcut to remove the drive...
  5. Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA): Last three or four w10 64 bit updates I have occasionally seen internal disk drive 1 (G:) disappearing from file explorer, this has been significantly reduced with the latest (1903) but still occurs under certain circumstances which is critical as it causes backups to fail....
  6. PCI-Express To SATA III 6Gbps Cards

PCI-Express To SATA III 6Gbps Cards: I have tried using two different models of these cards, and both were hopeless. Red screens of death were common, even before getting into Windows. They both used a Marvell chipset. Maybe that was the problem. Even booting with with rescue media produced RSODs. Has anyone...
  7. Amazon Basics USB 3.0 to SATA III Enclosure - Has built in sleep mode?

Amazon Basics USB 3.0 to SATA III Enclosure - Has built in sleep mode?: I hope this is the right place to post this - here is a link to the item I purchased: ( i hope I can share this link, it's not an affiliate link or anything) https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...rnal+3.5+drive I've checked all the settings in device manager (the old...
  8. SATA III SSD shown as SATA II

SATA III SSD shown as SATA II: Hi everyone.*Nerd I have just noticed that my Intel 520 SSD Drive is showing as SATA II drive. Now, I am aware that it is connected to a SATA2_0 port controlled by native Intel SATA II controller on my mobo and current speed should be 3gb/s. Why does it say though that the...
  9. Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo

Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo: I have a DIY box with an Asus P5K-E mobo that provides SATA II ports. I upgraded to a pair of Samsung 850 EVO ssds and naturally got a great speed boost. Now I am getting greedy and thinking about doubling my gains with a SATA III controller card. I have been reading online...
  10. Hard drive: Head crashing/parking sound

Hard drive: Head crashing/parking sound: Hello, I have a samsung F3. I heard strange sounds, like very loud bangs , some sort of head parking sound but on steroid, more and more i was using windows 10x 64 home and windows 7 on previous use. I would like to know if it is normal i could fixed it this way:...