Windows 10: sata issue

Discus and support sata issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A new Windows update on my desktop took over 2 hours. The machine then transitioned into a "perpetual reboot". In other words, it continued rebooting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by spcoleman, Oct 18, 2016.

1. spcoleman Win User

sata issue

A new Windows update on my desktop took over 2 hours. The machine then transitioned into a "perpetual reboot". In other words, it continued rebooting itself but never to the point of reaching the login screen. I stopped the cycle by depressing the f12 key during the rebooting. An error message appeared and displayed 2 SATA errors. I then powered off the machine and rebooted using a recovery file on a thumb drive. Unfortunately, the system will not self-repair using the recovery files and will not boot completely with the recovery files.

Any idea what this could be and how do I fix it? I am assuming that the Windows update was corrupted. Can Windows be re-installed externally? I can't boot the machine so I have no way to work from within the computer and operating system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

:)

spcoleman, Oct 18, 2016
  2. grfft Win User

[SOLVED] Windows 10 PC "generic freeze" and SSD's

i finally resolved this issue.

it was caused by the generic windows 10 SATA driver. NOT by windows defender.

when i clean installed windows 10, the original intel SATA driver was replaced with the generic microsoft SATA driver. as soon as i reinstalled the intel SATA driver, the issue stopped.

grfft, Oct 18, 2016
  3. grfft Win User
    Windows 10 freezes, Disk usage 100%

i finally resolved this issue.

it was caused by the generic windows 10 SATA driver. Other posters on this thread have reported the same or a similar fix.

when i clean installed windows 10, the original intel SATA driver was replaced with the generic microsoft SATA driver. The SSD freezing issues began. When I used a HDD with the generic drivers, there was no freezing. as soon as i reinstalled the intel SATA
    driver, the issue stopped. I just went to the website of my laptop OEM and got the recommended intel driver from there.

grfft, Oct 18, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

sata issue

Hi, sorry to hear that. Happens to some. I will show you a way to prepare for such disasters.

You might be able to
    - use a system restore point - if you had system restore on and providing it's an update not an upgrade
    - boot into safe mode

by booting your PC from a Win 10 install medium (DVD or flash drive or external USB drive) and clicking 'Repair my computer' (not installing Win 10!)
    The Tutorial section helps you get one if you don't know how or don't have one - search for 'iso'.

Other options might include uninstalling the update (do you know which one it was?) from a command prompt - again by booting from an install medium
    How to uninstall specific Windows updates via CMD or batch file in Windows 7/8 and Server 2008/2012
    Does Windows provide a way to uninstall security updates via command - Microsoft Community
    Please explain how to list and uninstall windows updates via comand prompt - Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

For completeness, if your update was actually the 1607 upgrade you may be able to restore the previous build, again by booting from the install medium.
    ================================
    How do you prepare for these scenarios and recover from them without technical help?
    I'm assuming you haven't already discovered how invaluable using disk imaging routinely can be.
    Of course, if you had, you might consider using your previously created disk images.

When you've got your system running again, read this:
    Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your disks and partitions to a previous working state, quickly and probably without technical help.

You can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

dalchina, Oct 18, 2016
Thema:

sata issue

1. sata issue - Similar Threads - sata issue

2. Realtek Audio driver Issues after installing New Sata III SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Realtek Audio driver Issues after installing New Sata III SSD: BACKSTORY:I have a Dell G7 15 laptop that I have been using for the past 4ish years. More recently I have started to experience heavy throttling due to low storage on my SSD. I decided to upgrade my Sata III SSD to a larger drive. I installed Windows 10 and all my drivers...
  3. Realtek Audio driver Issues after installing New Sata III SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Realtek Audio driver Issues after installing New Sata III SSD: BACKSTORY:I have a Dell G7 15 laptop that I have been using for the past 4ish years. More recently I have started to experience heavy throttling due to low storage on my SSD. I decided to upgrade my Sata III SSD to a larger drive. I installed Windows 10 and all my drivers...
  4. Realtek Audio driver Issues after installing New Sata III SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Issue regarding every SSD or HDD I put into my SATA Controller Port on my MB turns into RAW...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue regarding every SSD or HDD I put into my SATA Controller Port on my MB turns into RAW...: So currently my pc has 1 NVME m.2 plugged onto the Motherboard, and one SSD, and one HDD. And they work fine, knock on wood. But I needed some more space so I added a new SSD, it worked fine for a few days then randomly went raw, it asked me to reformat the drive to gain...
  6. Issue regarding every SSD or HDD I put into my SATA Controller Port on my MB turns into RAW...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue regarding every SSD or HDD I put into my SATA Controller Port on my MB turns into RAW...: So currently my pc has 1 NVME m.2 plugged onto the Motherboard, and one SSD, and one HDD. And they work fine, knock on wood. But I needed some more space so I added a new SSD, it worked fine for a few days then randomly went raw, it asked me to reformat the drive to gain...
  7. Issue regarding every SSD or HDD I put into my SATA Controller Port on my MB turns into RAW...

8. Smart Sata issue. Win 10 updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Smart Sata issue. Win 10 updates: I don’t know whats causing the boot or load of drive problem. I had been using my computer without any issue for 2 years and now after windows 10 updates i experience this.I was using a backup drive sata 80gb drive a month ago and at some point smart bootup says eminent...
  9. Smart Sata issue. Win 10 updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smart Sata issue. Win 10 updates: I don’t know whats causing the boot or load of drive problem. I had been using my computer without any issue for 2 years and now after windows 10 updates i experience this.I was using a backup drive sata 80gb drive a month ago and at some point smart bootup says eminent...
  10. Smart Sata issue. Win 10 updates