Windows 10: save file to desktop does not show up until right click refresh

Discus and support save file to desktop does not show up until right click refresh in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; almost 2 months now with my new computer, I have noticed, especially, when downloading a file with firefox and doing save to desktop, that will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ron7000, Dec 10, 2016.

1. ron7000 Win User

save file to desktop does not show up until right click refresh

almost 2 months now with my new computer, I have noticed, especially, when downloading a file with firefox and doing save to desktop, that will complete successfully but the desktop will not show the file. Not until i manually do a right click on the desktop and choose refresh, then it pops up. Anyone know why this would happen, what causes it, and how to fix? This is has been happening ever since i built the computer, and is quite annoying.
    It does not happen always or happen every time, more like when powered on I first hop on firefox and download something, that first time saving something to desktop seems to be the most repeatable way of this problem happening. And over last 2 months it's happened numerous times not just with firefox, it has happened with Internet Explorer. And I want to say with other programs to, but I haven't kept a diary.
    I just had a BSOD and downloaded dm_log_collector.exe from here and i had to right-click refresh on my desktop to see the file.

edit : so i just re-downloaded dm_log_collector.exe saving it as dm_log_collector2.exe to my desktop. firefox finishes downloading, does not pop up on desktop by itself until more than 20 seconds later.
    this seems to be easily duplicated- i can "save image as" to desktop something stupid small downloads in 1 second like the ten forums picture of this web page, does not show up by itself until 20-30 seconds later.

Asrock Z170A-X1/3.1 LGA 1151,
    Intel i7-6600k cpu,
    32gb Gskill F4-2400C15D-32GVR,
    EVGA supernova 650w psu,
    mushkin triactor ssd 500gb MKNSSDTR500GB.
    windows 10 home 64-bit

:)

ron7000, Dec 10, 2016
  2. cShane Win User

What does this icon mean?

I know it doesn't have anything to do with Mozy, but it didn't appear until I changed a Mozy settings (Show backup status icon on files).

When I right-click > share with > stop sharing, nothing changes. Right-clicking and clicking Refresh doesn't help.

Other text documents (*.txt) that are saved to the Desktop are now showing this icon.

File and printer sharing has always been disabled, so why is this even showing?

Thanks,

Shane.

cShane, Dec 10, 2016
  3. Saltgrass Win User
    Folders and files don't go away after delete and give me access denied

I haven't noticed the issue either, but certain types of files may be in use and cannot be deleted until a restart.

Could you give an example of what type of files exhibit this behavior? Would it happen with a basic text file?

I have noticed, for a while, if I take a snipping tool picture and save to the desktop, it will not show up until I refresh the desktop.

Saltgrass, Dec 10, 2016
  4. save file to desktop does not show up until right click refresh

Found this. It applies to windows 7 but it very well maybe applicable here.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...sh-(F5)/page2?

It talks to two things, one are you sorting your desktop icons and the registry fix in post 23 by willum08. I've seen willum08 on this forum.

Please research and as willum08 states have a restore point (and a backup of your registry) should you pursue. Not sure why a registry setting would be off for a few. Anyway have a read, maybe someone will have a better answer. Given you built your own rig you know all the warnings about registry changes.

Caledon Ken, Dec 10, 2016
  5. ron7000 Win User
    thanks, but i do not have a "DontRefresh" key anywhere in the registry.

If I search for keys (folders) named just "refresh" I get a few hits such as ShellRefresh but the values within are nothing I can set as their data to as they are not an obvious 1 or 0.

I did find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wbem\PROVIDERS\Performance - "perforamance refresh" and it is currently dword:0. I might try setting it to 1 and see what happens.

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\DiagTrack\SettingsRequests\ CFC.FLIGHTS - refreshinterval set to dword:1e which is decimal 30, but i doubt this is it.

There seem to be many key values having "refresh" in their name, I guess i'll search the registry as time permits.

I also have gone to System Properties - Performance - Settings -> Adjust for Best Performance
    as opposed to let windows choose what's best, or adjust for best appearance; does not fix the problem.

And I had Adobe flash pop up in win10 for updating, it opened Microsoft Edge and i did save as to the desktop, same problem after the file downloaded which was like 3 seconds, it did not show up on desktop for around 25 seconds - so it is not a firefox problem as it happens with Edge.

I wonder if this is a Classic Shell (by Ivosoft) problem ? I have version 4.3.0 installed.

ron7000, Dec 13, 2016
  6. Junkyjunk Win User
    Same thing happening here, except no blue screens. Any files saved don't appear until File Explorer or desktop is refreshed. Same goes for renaming a file, rename and it reverts back to the original file name not updated until refreshed. What gives.

Junkyjunk, Dec 13, 2016
  7. ron7000 Win User
    my blue screen i've determined is because of a faulty sata connector on my SSD. I had remounted the SSD - actually laid it flat on bottom of case so the sata cable does not hang, and the SSD has been stable for close to a month now.

But reinstalling windows 10 home, from dvd, on a spare samsung SSD and at least twice to the mushkin SSD i have been using,
    the same problem has persisted of files not showing on the desktop!

ron7000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

save file to desktop does not show up until right click refresh

1. save file to desktop does not show up until right click refresh - Similar Threads - save file desktop

2. Right clicking in my desktop or file explorer will refresh the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right clicking in my desktop or file explorer will refresh the desktop: I've had this problem twice now, the last problem occurred around 2 months ago and now it happened again. I would assume this is caused by the updates, and it appeared again. Tried the same solution I tried last time but it didn't work this time system restore. I restored at...
  3. Right clicking in my desktop or file explorer will refresh the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right clicking in my desktop or file explorer will refresh the desktop: I've had this problem twice now, the last problem occurred around 2 months ago and now it happened again. I would assume this is caused by the updates, and it appeared again. Tried the same solution I tried last time but it didn't work this time system restore. I restored at...
  4. Right Click on desktop refreshes desktop over and over.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Click on desktop refreshes desktop over and over.: Windows just did an update and since this update I cannot right click on the desktop all of a sudden. As soon as I do, the desktop refreshes itself. There were no errors prior to the update....
  5. Right Click on desktop refreshes desktop over and over.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right Click on desktop refreshes desktop over and over.: Windows just did an update and since this update I cannot right click on the desktop all of a sudden. As soon as I do, the desktop refreshes itself. There were no errors prior to the update....
  6. Right Click on desktop refreshes desktop over and over.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Right Click on desktop does not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right Click on desktop does not work: I am having an issue that when I right click my desktop, the loading symbol pops up and then goes away after a minute or two. I am not in tablet mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-on-desktop-does-not-work/cde807db-63f4-4238-a929-71f601e6f214
  8. files moved to different file do not show up until a refresh?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    files moved to different file do not show up until a refresh?: When dragging a file from one location to a second location. The file appears to remain in the old location but is not accessable and does not appear in the new location until the file is refreshed. If the file is moved from the desktop it requires a restart....
  9. Mouse does spontaneous right click and left click freezes until right click is used...?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse does spontaneous right click and left click freezes until right click is used...?: My mouse has a spontaneous right click occur and simultaneously the left click doesn't work until I right click on some part of the page I'm on. Windows 10 OS and Edge browser. I have tried different mouses, cleaned their buttons etc. and uninstalled the mouse drivers and...
  10. Right click in Refresh does not show "New" Options

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click in Refresh does not show "New" Options: Right click in folder does not show "New" Optinos When I go there (Right Click> #New Options), my computer hangs up and the file explorer restart automatically. Please help me Heres screenshot link: 1. https://image.ibb.co/cQjfGR/images.jpg 2....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows-10 simulate right click on desktop refresh

2. desktop files not show until refresh

3. when save on desktop does not show up until right click refresh

4. windows does not show file until refresh