Windows 10: Save your files to OneDrive for expanded ransomware protection

Discus and support Save your files to OneDrive for expanded ransomware protection in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you want an additional layer of protection from ransomware, try saving your files in OneDrive. It’s part of the new experiences that arrived with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Save your files to OneDrive for expanded ransomware protection

Source: Save your files to OneDrive for expanded ransomware protection - Windows Experience Blog

:)

Brink, Aug 6, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

OneDrive Files Restore and Windows Defender ransomware protection

Source: OneDrive Files Restore and Windows Defender takes ransomware protection one step further - Microsoft Tech Community - 188001

Brink, Aug 6, 2018
  3. Save your files to OneDrive for expanded ransomware protection

How can my files on onedrive get corrupted by a ransomware attack?

US-CERT Alert (TA13-309A) advises some crypto malware variants have the ability to target, find and encrypt files located within
    network drives, shared (mapped network paths), USB drives, external hard drives, and even
    files stored on cloud services (cloud storage drives) if they have a drive letter. Although cloud backups typically do not use drive letters, many cloud storage services do not save prior file versions so there’s no way to revert to a clean
    file version.

OneDrive is Microsoft's
    free data hosting cloud service
    that allows users to sync files and later access them from a web browser or mobile device. I do not use OneDrive, but from what I understand the source data (like

GoogleDrive
    ) resides locally in the OneDrive folder. If that gets encrypted by ransomware, it will get encrypted in the Cloud service as well since it gets automatically synchronized. However, according to Microsoft, OneDrive
    has the capability to restore files affected by ransomware by using Version History or restoring from the OneDrive Recycle Bin...see

OneDrive vs. Ransomware
    which includes links with instructions for recovering OneDrive-based files using Version History and the OneDrive Recycle Bin.

quietman7 - MVP, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

Save your files to OneDrive for expanded ransomware protection

1. Save your files to OneDrive for expanded ransomware protection - Similar Threads - Save files OneDrive

2. ransomware protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ransomware protection: will microsoft defender's ransomware protection work if using avira free antivirus.avira free's ransomware protection is locked behind a paywall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/ransomware-protection/5c6595fe-f89a-4e70-816c-2aff4929aac5
  3. ransomware protection yellow triangle in onedrive

ransomware protection yellow triangle in onedrive: I get the gray x on many folders that don't open. I have a feeling it's because I can't get rid of the onedrive problem. Always says "set up onedrive" which I already am setup and signed in Then says "you are already syncing a onedrive" and can't go any further. Thanks....
  4. Ransomware protection

Ransomware protection: That ransomware protection that Windows Defender has might a little to over-protection. When turned on: It will not access save games from Origin and other EA games Uplay seems not the problem I find it really necessary to share this information. It seems like Win Defender...
  5. How-To Geek - Protect Your Files From Ransomware

How-To Geek - Protect Your Files From Ransomware: Windows 10 Build 19551 First, I received a How-To Geek email that linked me to this, which I read: Do You Need Anti-Ransomware Software for Your PC? Within the article was a link to this, which I also read and followed: How to Protect Your Files From Ransomware With...
  6. OneDrive files contain ransomware

OneDrive files contain ransomware: Hello, my OneDrive is a basic one (OneDrive Basis 5GB-Storage only). When I opened it in my ransomware-infected laptop, I found some files on OneDrive were also infected. In this case when an OneDrive file contains ransomware, will all other files in it be also infected?...
  7. Ransomware protection without Onedrive?

Ransomware protection without Onedrive?: What if you dont have a OneDrive attached? how does Ransomware protect and recreate files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/ransomware-protection-without-onedrive/98eb7df4-ad53-4ebb-9846-f593344a82d0
  8. Onedrive Ransomware Protection tries to open 2nd copy of Onedrive

Onedrive Ransomware Protection tries to open 2nd copy of Onedrive: Hi, After updating windows, Windows defender is showing a yellow alert on virus and threat protection. Further investigation shows me it wants to setup onedrive for ransomeware protection. After initiating the process and trying to sign in, i get an error that "you're...
  9. Ransomware Protection?

Ransomware Protection?: Been visiting a website that discusses ransomware and all of the nasty things that can happen, starting to make me paranoid. Data files are backed up and stored offline, but still...So, I am looking for a quality anti-ransomware software package. As I am new to this concept,...
  10. OneDrive Files Restore and Windows Defender ransomware protection

in Windows 10 News
    OneDrive Files Restore and Windows Defender ransomware protection: At the beginning of April, OneDrive announced new protection capabilities that offer Office 365 Home and Office 365 Personal subscribers additional peace of mind including the ability to recover files from malicious attacks like ransomware and new tools to help keep your...