Windows 10: Saving newer documents

Discus and support Saving newer documents in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On previous versions of Windows, if I tried to save documents from, say a thumb drive to my hard drive and the names of the docs were identical, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hotdog, Jun 14, 2017.

1. hotdog Win User

Saving newer documents

On previous versions of Windows, if I tried to save documents from, say a thumb drive to my hard drive and the names of the docs were identical, I would be asked if I wanted to save the newer version or not. I have a situation where I done massive editing of work documents at home on a thumb drive but have also edited docs at work. I don't want lose the recent work I've done at either place but can't find the "newer version" option. (Gosh, I hope that makes sense.) Does anyone know how to do that?

:)

hotdog, Jun 14, 2017

2. After downloading Windows 10 on our 2nd computor, we do not have permission to save!

When receiving a document or even creating one in Word , it says I do not have permission to save and I should contact the administrator. I can't save anything.

This has been after I downloaded Win10 on the 2nd computer (it's older and I downloaded Win 10 after I downloaded it to our other newer computer), and it only says this regarding the 2nd(older) computer. I can save on the newer computer (which is also Win10;
    but we downloaded it first on this newer computer).

Why won't my computer allow me to save anything?

Thanks for your help!

ShannonBrandt, Jun 14, 2017
  3. Windows 7.5 Phone. When I open a file in Office I get message???

Hey buddy, I think I get your question.

The 'version' the Office on phone is talking about is the 'saved copy of your office document'. It does not refer to the version of the Office software.

If you are editing/saving the same office document from multiple places (desktop/browser/phone), it is possible that that the server has the latest saved 'version' and it is now asking on the phone (which has an older saved version) if you have to download
    the newer saved version.

I hope this clarifies the situation about the 'version' confusion Saving newer documents ;)

Jay_answers, Jun 14, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Saving newer documents

I guess you need something to compare folder content.

E.g.
    WINMERGE

WinMerge is an Open Source comparing and merging tool for Windows. WinMerge can
    compare both folders and files, presenting differences in a visual text format
    that is easy to understand and handle. WinMerge can be used as an external
    differencing/merging tool or as a standalone application.

WinMerge has many helpful supporting features to make comparing, synchronising,
    and merging as easy and useful as possible. Several programming languages and
    other file formats are syntax-highlighted.

The latest WinMerge version and WinMerge information is available at
    WinMerge.

dalchina, Jun 14, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @hotdog

If you use File Explorer to copy files from one location to another all files that don't exist in the destination will be copied without comment. If it finds files are already there with the same names, then it will ask you what you want to do about it. Click on 'Let me decide for each file' for more control, where it will show you all the files with differing dates or sizes (the newest/largest with its date/size in bold). Untick 'Skip files with the same name and date' if you want complete control.

Saving newer documents [​IMG]

6. hotdog Win User
    Dalchina & Bree, thank you very much for your replies. Bree has the answer for which I was looking. I knew Windows 10 had to have that option. I've spaced over it so many times in the past not stopping to read, I totally missed it. Thanks again. Problem solved.

hotdog, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Saving newer documents

1. Saving newer documents - Similar Threads - Saving newer documents

2. document file not saving in documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    document file not saving in documents: since i got a new boot m.2 i had to move my files from the profile to a hard drive so when i download stuff it does not take up space ware my boot is and now when ever an app on my pc saves a file it does not save it in documents it saves the file on my desktop and i cant...
  3. Saving Documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Saving Documents: My documents aren't showing in MyFiles. I have made documents before and this has never occurred, but now, whenever I save a document it's doesn't show on my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-documents/44523407-8d86-4854-8d72-210c6e1b76e8
  4. Saving documents?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving documents?: Hello, since a couple of days ago every time a tried to download/save a document to my PC, if I change the folder Windows initially opensto save the file, an error occurs [ATTACH] also, if I rename it, same error pops up. It is as if I was searching, trying to open a file...
  5. Saving a document.

Saving a document.: When I save a word or any file it automatically saves in 4 locations. Even though I want it save in This PC. When I delete the file in one it deletes in all. I do I get this to stop?...
  6. Saving Documents

Saving Documents: When saving documents, my save view now looks like below. I would like to change it back so that when saving, I can see my files in folders. I would appreciate advice on how to change it back. TIA. [ATTACH]...
  7. Saving Documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Saving Documents: I lost my power early this morning and now I can't 'save' information on pre-saved documents as it says I don't have access. What do I need to do to save changes to my documents (I'm the only one that uses PC)....
  8. saving documents

saving documents: Hello I am having issues saving docs when one drive is syncing. I have to pause it to be able to save any documents I am working on. Is there a fix for this? Thank you...
  9. saving documents

saving documents: when I save my documents files they also save in my pictures folder, which I don't want how can I stop them doing that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-documents/1c857732-3530-416a-8c69-8bb415943a59"
  10. saving a document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    saving a document: I saved a document in notepad, which was the only option it gave me, but when I try to view it , it looks like gibberish. What can I do>?...