Windows 10: Saving to D instead of OS

Discus and support Saving to D instead of OS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just got a new laptop and this is my first time using Windows 10. The guy told me to make sure not to fill my OS and to set my D drive as the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vail, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Vail Win User

Saving to D instead of OS

I just got a new laptop and this is my first time using Windows 10. The guy told me to make sure not to fill my OS and to set my D drive as the default, or something. I went into System storage settings and set all the defaults to Data (D*Smile But it seems like everything I save still goes to the C drive. My D drive has nothing saved in it at all while my C drive is filling up.

If someone could help me get this situated I'd very much appreciate that.

:)

Vail, Apr 8, 2016

2. saving a download to my computer instead of opening it

Hi Tom,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps, help me to know:

• When you say e-mail, are you referring to outlook.com or Microsoft office outlook or Mail app on windows 10?

• How are you accessing your e-mails?

• Which browser are you using to access your E-mails?
    I would suggest you to try another browser and check if you are facing the same issue.

If you are using Internet Explorer, kindly follow the below suggestions.

This issue might occur due to your browser. It would be best if you optimize your browser to make sure that it isn’t contributing to this issue. This will also serve as an initial troubleshooting step to improve browser performance.
    After optimizing, re-launch your browser and check if you encounter the same problem.

Follow the steps given in the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings
    feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Reply with the necessary information to help you troubleshoot your issue better. I will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Apr 8, 2016
  3. TomDillon Win User
    saving a download to my computer instead of opening it

I just switched to Windows 10. When I used to download an attachment from email, I could choose "save as" and save the file to my computer. Now, even when I choose "save to my computer" after the download the only options are "open" or "view downloads".
    How do I get the "save as" option back?

TomDillon, Apr 8, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you might prefer to try using explorer for (e.g.)
    Desktop, Videos, Pictures, Downloads ...

Rt click, Properties, Location

Some tutorials which I've found for you which may be of interest (please feel free to browse and search the extensive, clear, practical Tutorials section)
    Storage Save Locations - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Apps Save Location - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Library Save Location - Set in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Reverse- set to default:
    Users Personal Folders - Restore Default Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Apr 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Saving to D instead of OS - Similar Threads - Saving instead

2. save image

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    save image: why the save box dont appear when I want to save an image? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-image/ff086973-cccb-4206-a7cf-1e754325903c
  3. save excel files to one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    save excel files to one drive: I just updated my computer and now my office files will not update automatically, or sync, to the cloud. when I go to onedrive and use excel online everything works fine, and when I go to my offline excel the changes show up just fine. However, when I make changes to the...
  4. Windows 10 Daylight Savings Time Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Daylight Savings Time Not Working: I've tried doing this (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-daylight-saving-time-adjustment-not/78afea6e-39ac-458e-939b-55e5a5779bb3) several times on three different machines (they're all having the same problem), but it...
  5. wordpad file disappeared instead of saving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wordpad file disappeared instead of saving: I closed a wordpad doc that I clicked to save and it disappeared. Usually I would see a screen that allowed me to name my document and direct it to a file. How do I search for something that doesn't have a file name. Can it be recovered? Thanks...
  6. Windows 10 Calendar - Invite saving to Holidays calendar instead of my calendar!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Calendar - Invite saving to Holidays calendar instead of my calendar!: Hi, I have started to use Windows 10 Mail and Calendar apps instead of Outlook 2016 & have come up with an unusual issue when I receive a meeting invite via email from someone else. When I accept the invite, it saves the event to the Ireland Holidays calendar instead of my...
  7. Set "Open" and "Save As" windows view to "List" instead of "Details"?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set "Open" and "Save As" windows view to "List" instead of "Details"?: Is it possible to change "Open" and "Save As" windows view to "List" instead of "Details" globally without having to set List view in File Explorer? I would like to use Details view in File Explorer and List view for "Open" and "Save As" windows. Can this be done via the...
  8. Game DVR saving captures to AppData\Local\Temp instead of Captures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game DVR saving captures to AppData\Local\Temp instead of Captures: My GameDVR is saving new clips and screenshots to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp, making it so i cant change location due to the absence of the Captures folder, is there a way to correct this like some value buried in RegEdit or something 111400
  9. save files instead of opening ... how to change ?

in Windows 10 Support
    save files instead of opening ... how to change ?: Hello *chuckle New to this forum. Also new to windows 10 somewhat. My problem is when I go to open files from email accounts ( I have two e-mails) it will not open ..just goes to save it question .. same with downloads.. What have I screwed up? *Huh 71897
  10. Windows saving as jpeg instead of jpg

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows saving as jpeg instead of jpg: Not sure if this is a windows problem or not but I've tried everything with my browsers to resolve this. Whenever i save an image in firefox and chrome the save file type is greyed out and the images are always saved as jpeg instead of the native jpg and my embroidery...